Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess in art

• 21 months ago · Quote · #841

AndyClifton

I read The Complete Far Side (and one of them I even read twice):

• 21 months ago · Quote · #842

DalaiLuke

ElKitch wrote:

Yes, I love him too! I bought all 5 books with the best of gary larsson. Wonder where they are?? :/

... probably where every Gary Larson book ends up ... next to the toilet under other books.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #843

ElKitch

DalaiLuke wrote:
    ElKitch wrote:

Yes, I love him too! I bought all 5 books with the best of gary larsson. Wonder where they are?? :/

... probably where every Gary Larson book ends up ... next to the toilet under other books.

In the home of a person to whom I lended the book!! grr

@Andy those seem like great books! Havent seen that version before.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #844

splitleaf

Thought of Heisman's "hope chess" upon first seeing this:

http://chess.about.com/od/tipsforbeginners/a/What-Is-Hope-Chess.htm

• 21 months ago · Quote · #845

AndyClifton

ElKitch wrote:

The only problem with them is that they weigh a ton (seriously...you'll break your back lugging them about).

• 21 months ago · Quote · #846

splitleaf

Happened upon this wonderful Brandon Friend, Jason Griffin collaboration some years ago.  Anyone guess the New York chess landmark included in the work?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #847

DalaiLuke

I luv this piece, thanks splitleaf ... I'd guess something from Washington Park.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #848

splitleaf

Glad you like it Luke.  Btw you are very warm.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #849

DalaiLuke

ummm ... I meant Washington Square!

• 21 months ago · Quote · #850

ElKitch

splitleaf wrote:

Thought of Heisman's "hope chess" upon first seeing this:

yes, indeed. nice one :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #851

FlowerFlowers

Vladimir Kush - Chess

I found some cool pics at tumblr dot com

• 21 months ago · Quote · #852

ElKitch

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

• 21 months ago · Quote · #853

ElKitch

AndyClifton wrote:
    ElKitch wrote:

The only problem with them is that they weigh a ton (seriously...you'll break your back lugging them about).

they should get a good spot in the bookcase and when the time is right you pull them out :) I reckon they have text on the comics as well? In the 5 books I had/have an introduction is written by a celebrity that something with Gary Larson. Jane Goodall (monkeyresearcher) for instance. Very entertaining to read.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #854

ElKitch

link: chessboard has squares :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #855

ElKitch

splitleaf wrote:

Happened upon this wonderful Brandon Friend, Jason Griffin collaboration some years ago.  Anyone guess the New York chess landmark included in the work?

No offense meant but.. I really like art. I am open to everything but I just keep on failing to see what special about work like you posted. Recently I have been to the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam which also has alot of modern art. At least half of the museum is stuff that is just completely random.. anyone could make it. Perhaps I should know more about it to appreciate it. But there is no skill in the making and I fail to see any beauty. This debate is as old as art, but still havent got a real answer to my "objections".

The one you posted even does have some compostion. In the Stedelijk Museum I saw complete randomness. Like 10x10 feathers stuck in thick white paper. Or the numbers 21, 22, 23, 24 written in neonletters etc.

Off the top of my head:

I take a white canvas. I get a thick brush and make fiercefull strike of black paint acros the canvas. Then I dip it in nice deepplue paint. From right I let it gently touch the canvas and while moving to left I push it more and more onto the canvas untill it eventually breaks through the canvas. I drip glue onto it so the brush stays stuck in the canvas and I spray the entire thing with 20 layers of transparant varnish.

I am 100% sure that it could be put up in the Stedelijk Museum without being noticed as not made by a master. And this is just one randomization from the top of my head. Maybe I should go into art.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #856

j-pax

hey elKitch.... i also cannot understand why people honestly like such art....  for  me stedelijk museum would be a bad experience :) i am more a rijks museum type !!

• 21 months ago · Quote · #857

RomyGer

Hey, ElKitch and j-pax : ... and what about the ugly new plastic outbuilding of the Stedelijk Museum ?   Even worldwide negative reactions for this horrible part !

• 21 months ago · Quote · #858

GagHalfrunt

Artists are out of ideas ,don't even need skill.Just know the right people. Tattoos are true art , all you can take to the grave with you hahaha.Look how pretty

• 21 months ago · Quote · #859

GagHalfrunt

splitleaf wrote:

Can anyone guess why this is art ?to me even children make better art.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #860

j-pax

i guess it's art because it fit's in "a style" it looks realy eighties art to me... i like the tattoos you posted better....

hey RomyGer... yeah the new part "the bathtub"... maybe they like to shock (i think so)...  bad for museum square as a whole.

Post your reply: