Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess in art

• 16 months ago · Quote · #861

ElKitch

RomyGer wrote:

Hey, ElKitch and j-pax : ... and what about the ugly new plastic outbuilding of the Stedelijk Museum ?   Even worldwide negative reactions for this horrible part !

Yes, not very nice either although I dont find it very disturbing. In an article was written that the ideas to build it originate from the 90's: the time when it didnt really matter what you built, as long as it was big and expensive.

• 16 months ago · Quote · #862

j-pax

In an article was written that the ideas to build it originate from the 90's: the time when it didnt really matter what you built, as long as it was big and expensive.

this MUST be a sarcastic article .... a contemporary museum has to build into the future not the past  ....  i like timeless! So i am glad  the rijks museum is bigger better and more expensive !!!

i deleted very much text.... i am passionately  against "the ugly arts" !!!

• 16 months ago · Quote · #863

ElKitch

It was about the Stedelijk Museum. The rijksmuseum has been done "in style" with the way it was. For the Stedelijk they wanted something modern (although the building it self was very classic) and this is the result:

Of that they said it was typically the 90's: just build something that cant be missed and is really expensive -then it must be good! Also ashame that the whole project -ofcourse- costed many millions more than planned in the first placed*. A comparison was made with a bankers building built in the 90's. It also was pompous and huge. Showing the great wealth of the bank. In these days it seems out of touch since bankers should be a bit more humble with all their moneywasting and living of the taxpayers money that saved them.

Admittingly, when you are under the big white tub it doesnt look so bad and when you are in it you dont notice it. But it still seems a bit obnoxious...

* If I was an Urban planner I would multiply every plan I made by 1.5 That would approximate the real costs better. 

Inside:

• 15 months ago · Quote · #864

fburton

Disgusting! Yell

• 15 months ago · Quote · #865

splitleaf

Since the first was such a hit here is other piece Friend and Griffin put together.  Discuss.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #866

netzach

Inspired by ''Robocop'' ?

• 15 months ago · Quote · #867

GagHalfrunt

Discuss? Auto spell mistake ? I think you mean to say ' disgusting'

• 15 months ago · Quote · #868

j-pax

i cannot say it is disgusting.... some art realy disgusts me ... and it probably is what the maker intended....

a association with the work above.... it makes me tink about yuppies in the eighties.... this should fit in a interieur of that time.... i think it was cool that you pay much money for some thing easy to make... like the yuppies made easy money themself....  i think of the movie "wallstreet"

• 15 months ago · Quote · #869

ElKitch

this one I like 1000% more than 1st one!

• 15 months ago · Quote · #870

RomyGer

My son Rob just has sent me this one !  More info follows.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #871

RomyGer

Further to post 870 : see design-dautore.com, it is the Umbra Wobble Chess Set,  uit het album  design for fun.    Also the other pictures are nice, see e.g. the guitar and the caramel apple...

• 15 months ago · Quote · #872

j-pax

very beautiful chess set!!!  i cannot find the design for fun album on this website.... maybe you can copy paste the "page web adress" in your comment :)

• 15 months ago · Quote · #873

Winnie_Pooh

RomyGer schrieb:

My son Rob just has sent me this one !  More info follows.

Nice and very convenient if you live in an earthquake zone Smile

• 15 months ago · Quote · #874

RomyGer

J-pax : on www.design-dautore.com they refer to their facebook, there you find these pictures ( I just checked again...)

• 15 months ago · Quote · #875

fburton

What an unusual chess set - delightful!

(Reminds me of weebles... "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.")

• 15 months ago · Quote · #876

Crosspinner

fburton wrote:

What an unusual chess set - delightful!

(Reminds me of weebles... "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.")

It is neat. Can you imagine playing with it in a motorhome while riding down the highway?  

• 15 months ago · Quote · #877

j-pax

ooh i don't have facebook ..but i could look trough some very nice pictures before it said ..sign in..

the chess set is also good for sailors :)

• 15 months ago · Quote · #878

GenghisCant

http://www.chessville.com/misc/jewelroyale.htm

I suppose some might call this chess set art. The pricetag is over £5million.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #879

j-pax

i could not find real pictures on google... i think the drawings/story of the jewel royale chess set is  promotion of the thriller/book metioned in the article

• 15 months ago · Quote · #880

ClavierCavalier

Maybe they won't make any until they get a down payment and no one has offered?

Post your reply: