Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess in art

• 2 years ago · Quote · #761

j-pax

hello Ger, very nice to see some beautifull art here and also a piece you made yourself #779. i love how escher can make you think about dimensions :) i'll try to find a good picture of tarrash i can draw... it would be my first person with a moustache .. you made the Lasker-bust picture  yourself??

• 2 years ago · Quote · #762

RomyGer

Hallo J-Pax : nice you try to draw Tarrasch, but I really hope you ment to say  that you should draw a picture of Emanuel Lasker ..., such in view of posts number 777 and 778 !    And, alas, no, I did not make that picture of the Lasker bust myself, I will come back on this subject, there are lots of memorabilia, e.g. see the official Lasker-Gesellschaft site ! site !

• 2 years ago · Quote · #763

j-pax

yes indeed i meant Lasker... no idea how i came up with Tarrash... maybe i saw a game between the two??:)

first i have to finish a Capablanca drawing i am working on.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #764

Crosspinner

RomyGer wrote:

My arts-and-crafts on this rainy afternoon, with thanks to the great Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher :

This is really neat.  At first glance I thought the queen was higher than the knight.  I have always enjoyed M. C. Escher, too.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #765

RomyGer

" The Chess Game " by Charles Bargue ( 1825-1883 )

• 24 months ago · Quote · #766

RomyGer

" The Veterans " by Richard Creifelds ( 1853-1939 )

• 24 months ago · Quote · #767

RomyGer

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

• 24 months ago · Quote · #768

RomyGer

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

• 24 months ago · Quote · #769

RomyGer

Finally twice Emanuel Lasker again :

• 24 months ago · Quote · #770

Crosspinner

RomyGer wrote:

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

What a clever idea.  I wished the chessmen were shown.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #771

RomyGer

This is the way Galina Satonina saw Lasker, who was a very talented mathematician as well.  He published several mathematical papers and (quote) his thesis on geometrical calculus remains relevant in the computer age (unquote)... 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #772

RomyGer

@ crosspinner : normal size chessmen, as this board has a normal size to prevent  suspicion...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #773

j-pax

Nice to see so many nice art pieces again... thanks RomyGer...in #784 my fantasy,  the cockatoo barks at the litlle wiener dog LOL.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #774

RomyGer

Without words :

• 23 months ago · Quote · #775

RomyGer

In  addition to post nr 778 , Emanuel Lasker in Berlinek town :

• 23 months ago · Quote · #776

RomyGer

And this text in Barlinek (not Berlinek) in Poland :

• 23 months ago · Quote · #777

j-pax

ha nice to see some art again and a very nice drawing #793... my first impressions was he looks like Aljechin ??

• 23 months ago · Quote · #778

RomyGer

@ j-pax : this drawing is by Charles D. Gibson, made in 1903, --  and Aljechin is born in 1892, so... just the looks...

• 23 months ago · Quote · #779

batgirl

RomyGer wrote:

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

It should be clarified that none of the above mentioned chess greats are in the painting.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #780

varelse1

Just came across this painting of a game between Ruy Lopez and Leonard di Cutri.

Post your reply: