Forums

chess in art

Sort:
j-pax

i saw a beautifull painting with the title:"the chess game"

i think it's realy beautifull ... if you know a good painting about chess ... show it here please

ElKitch

"c3" - by Piet Mondriaan

j-pax

strange .. c3 is a dark field...  but mondriaan became very strange in my opinion. thanks dekaleaas... the contrast between 2 styles could not be bigger

the painting above is by John Singer Sargent

ElKitch

This one you will like:

http://blogs.mathworks.com/steve/2008/09/05/escher-images-and-chess/

A few years ago I was sitting in another developer's office here, staring idly at the Escher print on her wall. This print was a long, thin strip that went almost all the way around the top of the office walls. It showed many different geometric motifs merging from one form to another, in typical Escher fashion. It suddenly dawned on me that the chess pieces in one section of the print were arranged in a real chess position.

Here it is:

Let’s give it a try:
- RxQ : White Rook takes black Queen (White King was checked, can’t take Queen, due to Bishop)
- Nf2 checkmate : Black Knight at f2

j-pax

yeah i am an Escher fan .. and this work (reproduction hihi) was in my math class.. in my home town (Baarn) you often see his Art because he lived en worked here most of his life.

he was a school teacher and made his art in his spare time.... it's sad that he was not given the respect he deserved... only later in his life, a little respect from america, first from sientist and later hippies....

And also sad to see wat kind of art was and still is respected and populair.

j-pax

i'll post another great (IMHO) painting by a great master Thomas Eakins from 1876

lucathakid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk

Kingpatzer

Payan's "A very, very friendly game"

lucathakid
Kingpatzer wrote:

this is wicked dope. this availabl as an art print comercially?

Kingpatzer
lucathakid wrote:
Kingpatzer wrote:

No clue, but I love everything about the painting.

lucathakid
Kingpatzer wrote:
lucathakid wrote:
Kingpatzer wrote:

No clue, but I love everything about the painting.

yeah its very cool, very picasso-ish

batgirl

"The Chess Game" in posting #1 is a well-known painting by John Singer Sergent.

I put a lot of chess-related art in an webpage called Surrealism and Chess.

j-pax

i saw another very beautiful picture, i cannot remember the artist name.

cajuncharlie

i didnt get the c3 painting. but its art!   lol

i glued a set together on a board, and hung that as art. think i will again, but hang it outside near where i play.

batgirl
j-pax wrote:

i saw another very beautiful picture, i cannot remember the artist name.

Italian artist, Raffaello Sorbi, painted this and gave the creative title, "The Chess Players."

netzach
Marcel-Duchamp-The-Chess-Game
e4nf3

j-pax

thanks batgirl  ... raffaello sorbi.. :)

very nice paintings above .. i even like the duchamp painting... much better than his ready mades... wich made him famous

i found this quote:

To say that Duchamp was an avid chess player would be an understatement. He played at approximately expert to master strength, and it is well known that he had -- during the later part of his formidable career as a visual artist -- given up the pursuit of art in favor of chess.

Here is an interesting quote about art and chess that is attributed to Marcel Duchamp:

"I am still a victim of chess. It has all the beauty of art -- and much more. It cannot be commercialized. Chess is much purer than art in its social position." Marcel Duchamp

j-pax

i found another (IMHO!!) perfect chess artwork .. by James Hamilton

Tantale

You will find about 630 paintings on the subject on chess here :

http://www.jmrw.com/Chess/Tableau_echecs/index.htm