Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess Player Interested in Working To Improve with Me

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

Pawnpusher3

Hey guys, 

I am looking to hit 2200 in the next year or so. I know its a long way to go, but I believe that with determination it is possible. Id like to have a chess partner who is willing to work with me by playing some long games and analyzing them over time so we can point out eachother's weaknesses. Some one who also has the same goals would be nice. If any of you are up for it, feel free to comment. I am really working hard to improve, so hopefully this can speed up the process. Id prefer if you were 1700+ but 1600+ works too

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

AnthonyCG

I think it's better to shoot for 1900 or 2000.

2000-2200 is another world.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

zxb995511

If you are not afraid of getting "blood on your hands" then I would be willing to cooperate.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

Pawnpusher3

@AnthonyCG, I know its a different "world" but I do believe I can pull it off. I put a lot of effort into the game and I will continue to do that.

@zxb, sounds great. Ill send you a PM and we can set it up. I am not afraid to  lose if that is what you mean. I always play up nowadays, that way I can continue to improve

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

AndyClifton

Not sure why you're interested in getting so specific about your goal.  Just say you want to improve.  You won't necessarily be able to hit 2200 just because that's the number you're shooting for...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

kco

pp3, it took 10 ! years for tonydal to go from 1300 to 2200 and he say is no easy tasks. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

AndyClifton

Actually, that took me closer to 10 years. Smile  And that was of course USCF (not Chess.com).

• 24 months ago · Quote · #8

kco

oh sorry will fix that up Wink

• 24 months ago · Quote · #9

AndyClifton

Uh-oh, looks like Vlad the Mad Undergrad strikes again (another Romaniac on the loose)...

• 24 months ago · Quote · #10

waffllemaster

Increasing 300 points for just 1 year in your life is good enough for anyone I believe, so that's very impressive.

I'd just like some perspective though why some advertise their rapid improvement as a desirable attribute for an instructor.  I mean, I can guess that the implication is that you know some special formula for rapid improvement that you'd be willing to share.

But to me it means the prospective trainer's experience has been tainted.  There are tons of players who know the game better than I do.  But when I go to look for instruction I need someone who can help overcome my personal obstacles.  This means ideally they've had to overcome the same difficulty or at least have experience in helping others overcome similar roadblocks.

So when I read "I improved 1000 points in 6 months" I translate "I have no experience in solving your problems and consequently wont be able to understand your POV when we have a session."  Meanwhile the "my improvement is 5x the average so yours can be too" simply comes off as snake oil.

Well, that was longer than I anticipated, so let me say again it's amazing improvement, and I'm sure you could teach me a thing or too.  I'm just wondering about the methods coaches use to advertise.  Because this fairly popular one is counter-intuitive to me.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #11

AndyClifton

Shut up yourself, Vlad.  And keep your nonsense to yourself.  I have already (I believe) pointed out my old account.  Since you seem to be a bit slow on the uptake, I shall do so again:

http://www.chess.com/members/view/OmarCayenne

From now on I hope that you shall keep your insults and similar baseless insinuations out of these forums.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #12

kco

ohhhh, getting popcorn and coke, this gonna be interesting Vlad the impaler vs tonydal aka andyclifton aka omarcayenne etc.

edit: shit, I will have to speed up my typing Laughing 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #13

waffllemaster

ok Smile

• 24 months ago · Quote · #14

AndyClifton

Uh, Vlad, stick it in your ear.  I don't need to provide "evidence" to you about my identity.

Sorry to post this here, folks.  I would have simply replied to Vlad B Git's message, but unfortunately he has me blocked.  This coming from the guy who wants me to "man up"! lol  Seems like Vlad's a bit of a pussy when it comes down to it.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #15

ivandh

kco wrote:

ohhhh, getting popcorn and coke, this gonna be interesting Vlad the impaler vs tonydal aka andyclifton aka omarcayenne etc.

edit: shit, I will have to speed up my typing  

Vlad the Inhaler is probably more accurate.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #16

AndyClifton

• 24 months ago · Quote · #17

kco

ivandh wrote:
    kco wrote:

edit: shit, I will have to speed up my typing  

Vlad the Inhaler is probably more accurate.

yeah especially over the weekend.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #18

AndyClifton

Vlad's car:

• 24 months ago · Quote · #19

AndyClifton

Vlad's pet:

• 24 months ago · Quote · #20

TheGrobe

AndyClifton wrote:

Vlad's pet:

Funny.