Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
MissArie
Hi Everyone! Me too, When I started playing online chess in here. I got 1200 ratings.
lukeyboy_xx
ratings just give you a idea how good a player is
tyler603
justice_avocado wrote: 1361 is higher than 1200. this isn't golf.

hahahahahahaha

Eternal_Autumn
Ratings aren't as important as learning new things. Not on chess.com anyway.
BILL_5666
karlwig wrote:

The only problem I see with the rating system is that the odds you get when playing against newly registered users (with 1200) when you have like 1600.  Since they haven't played any games, you could easilly run into a player who's real elo is 2000. And against an opponent like that, you should get much better point "odds" - but when you loose your rating will drop like 200, and if you win it will only go up like 20... Even when he's a lot better than you. On the other hand, if that player has already played 10 games instead of 0, his chess.com rating will probably be around 2000 - and then you can play against him with good odds. Anyone get my point here?

A necessary evil?  I don't think there is any other way around this problem.  You will just have to win those points back from someone else.

pradipbargur

i want to play chess in tournaments.....how it possible..... please help me

Fotoman

Prad, welcome. If they don't have chess tourneys locally for you, this might be your best option. Go to the tournament section and just join one. If you are a talkative person, tell your opponents and maybe you can make new friends and learn from them too.

Good luck 

rajeshbuddar
I was playing chess since i was 6 yrs old ,chess is a mind freshing game
Ridzwan
i get your point now
TheValera

so if your opponents score affects oyur score?

cyberknight92
yes. depending on your opponents score, you can earn or lose any number of points.
pedro823
lol chess rating system is easy: how many wins, many points
Paul
I've only played 3 games so far on  line and noted I have a rating that changes with each win/loss - but - the "today's rank" is blank - does that change after I have played so many games?
jr571

After a few games (around 10) or a certain amount of time, the ranking box fills out.  

I've always wondered about this, since joining the site.  For those who do have USCF/FIDE/Elo ratings, do you find that there is a significant discrepancy between those and chess.com ratings?  I'm suspecting so, but without an OTB ranking of my own, I've got no way of telling.

Thanks.

excelguru
erik wrote:

everyone starts at 1200. then as you play you get a new rating. it is all based on the Glicko ratings system :) check it out - it's a fun read!

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/glicko/glicko.doc/glicko.html 

You know what's really sad? I visited that link and understood every single bit of it. Heck, I even know how to write the Excel formulas to emulate it. That's just sad... sad, sad, sad. Man, I need a social life. ROFL. Smile

Paul

I guess for now I will choose not to visit the site and put the formula into excel - and just stick to my social life

TheOldReb
excelguru wrote: erik wrote:

everyone starts at 1200. then as you play you get a new rating. it is all based on the Glicko ratings system :) check it out - it's a fun read!

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/glicko/glicko.doc/glicko.html 

You know what's really sad? I visited that link and understood every single bit of it. Heck, I even know how to write the Excel formulas to emulate it. That's just sad... sad, sad, sad. Man, I need a social life. ROFL.

I visited that site, took one look at that formula .........and ran !!

Sean_Aidan
   Ah yeah...like I just want to play... I got a headache looking at that site. Wow.
bookworm92
i think Jay or someone posted a topic on how they work and why you are given a 1200 preliminary.
declan08
oh ok makes sense pretty interesting