Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess rating system

• 6 years ago · Quote · #141

Paul

I've only played 3 games so far on  line and noted I have a rating that changes with each win/loss - but - the "today's rank" is blank - does that change after I have played so many games?
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #142

jr571

After a few games (around 10) or a certain amount of time, the ranking box fills out.  

I've always wondered about this, since joining the site.  For those who do have USCF/FIDE/Elo ratings, do you find that there is a significant discrepancy between those and chess.com ratings?  I'm suspecting so, but without an OTB ranking of my own, I've got no way of telling.

Thanks.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #143

excelguru

erik wrote:

everyone starts at 1200. then as you play you get a new rating. it is all based on the Glicko ratings system :) check it out - it's a fun read!

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/glicko/glicko.doc/glicko.html 

You know what's really sad? I visited that link and understood every single bit of it. Heck, I even know how to write the Excel formulas to emulate it. That's just sad... sad, sad, sad. Man, I need a social life. ROFL. Smile

• 6 years ago · Quote · #144

Paul

I guess for now I will choose not to visit the site and put the formula into excel - and just stick to my social life

• 6 years ago · Quote · #146

Sean_Aidan

Ah yeah...like I just want to play... I got a headache looking at that site. Wow.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #147

bookworm92

i think Jay or someone posted a topic on how they work and why you are given a 1200 preliminary.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #148

declan08

oh ok makes sense pretty interesting
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #149

Clownfish

Would you say that you experienced the Glicko system to work fully symmetrically, i.e. will you end up on the same rating if playing higher rated players 10 times and beating them, let's say, only once, compared to playing lower rated players 10 times, winning 9 out of 10 times? I like to play both higher and lower rated players, but it would be interesting to know if there would exist a strategy to increase your rating by focusing on lower OR higher rated players. That would constitute a glitch, IMO...
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #150

excelguru

Interesting idea, Clownfish. The formulas could be used with some sample data to determine the results. But to use that approach in real life, as a "strategy" per se, would require you to know not only the ratings of your potential opponents but also their RD values. Then you would have to run the numbers to determine the best possible sample of opponents against which to battle. Even then, there's no guarantee of better success against the lower-ranked sample group.

And what if the higher-ranked players have very high RD values and the lower-ranked players have very low RD values? Then the results for the two scenarios you describe above could be equal or even reversed!

I offer the following spin on your idea: We have no way of affecting our opponents' RD values. But we can affect our own. By definition, the RD value will gradually increase with time. So if we take extended leaves between groups of rated games, that would affectively cause our RD value to increase before each group of games. Therefore the ratings swing caused by our game results would be more dramatic (which could be a BAD thing). But we would need to know what time constant the USCF (or FIDE or whomever) uses for the RD equation. 2 months? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? And of course we would have to stay "up on our game" during those sabaticals.

In the end, I don't think there's an easy way to minipulate the formulas or the system. There may be a way, but it's probably not very easy. Or we could try to win every game. :-)

• 6 years ago · Quote · #151

Abarai

Chess rating ELO is hard to improve.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #152

MrRick

Ratings...Shmatings...Get to playings, fools! 
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #153

excelguru

But then I wouldn't get to play around with the math formulas. LOL.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #154

Abarai

LOL it is kind of easy too.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #155

Abarai

High rated is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #156

bookworm92

joeyson wrote:

wow ppl

just play

ratings dont even matter

Ratings are important to people, it justifies their abilities, thought starting with a 1200 rating does not accuratley portray the skill of the individual.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #157

josharoo

i'm rated 1200 and i don't play golf

come get me

• 6 years ago · Quote · #158

Abarai

thats how u start.
  • 6 years ago · Quote · #160

Paul

I'm pretty new to chess and I'm not familiar with the uscf & fide otb classic chess ratings.  How does one get rated under these systems and how are they different from the on line ratings?

Post your reply: