Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess rating system

• 7 years ago · Quote · #181

ironranger

Some people say that chess should be played for fun and that ratings should be of no consequence.  In any sport or game, like baseball for instance, you can have a friendly game with people around your area or you can play for trophies and the opportunity to play in much higher rated leagues.  If you want to make chess a major hobby or even a profession, a rating is very important in chess.  If the grandmasters didn't have ratings, we would not know who was the best.  It is a matter of preference.
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #182

Paul

I think ironranger has it right - we all play chess for some very different reasons - I'm very new to the game and I'm intrigued as a learner - the ratings are helpful in finding people who play at a level similar to my own so I don't get blasted away and easily discourgaed - my hope is that in time my abilty will increase and if so I expect so will my ratings - expecting sooner or later to rise or fall to my own level of competence
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #183

FireStorm369

Rating does nothing of telling how strong you're.  People's styles differ from person to person some people are better at one type of game than other types.  I believe that everyone can play like a grandmaster and already has done a game that a grandmaster would have done.
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #184

Agent86

Hi all, new here. Just wanted to chime in on this thread, as it has been a topic of discussion on just about every chess site I have played on. Here's my take on the whole thing: Ratings do matter, but not for your ego. They give a general idea of your overall ability, which has value for various reasons. Ratings can be manipulated, there's no question about that (example: only playing people much weaker than yourself to get a falsely high rating), but these poeple will be quickly discovered when they face off against someone who has "earned" their rating. We are all perfectly capable of playing well above or below our rating, so it is only a general guideline. Also, an 1800 rating on one site has nothing to do with where your rating will land on another site. The rating on any individual site is specific and relative only to that pool of players. Therefore, you can't compare any online ratings to official ELO ratings in any meaningful way. Additionally, this is Correspondence Chess, so it really is a different game from OTB Chess, and most peole that play Correspondence Chess know this already. Anyway, there's my 2 cents, and I'm glad to have found this site. It has a nice interface, and a lot of nice features. Best of luck to all.Smile
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #185

stdavid

Agent86 wrote:  The rating on any individual site is specific and relative only to that pool of players. Therefore, you can't compare any online ratings to official ELO ratings in any meaningful way. Additionally, this is Correspondence Chess, so it really is a different game from OTB Chess, and most peole that play Correspondence Chess know this already. Anyway, there's my 2 cents, and I'm glad to have found this site. It has a nice interface, and a lot of nice features. Best of luck to all.

Agent 86 has a good understanding ofwhere things are at. Correspondence chess is a quite different game to OTB. The latter favors the person who can think deeply and quickly, with good (almost photographic) memory, whilst the former is for those who are more analytical and think more deeply but slower. There are innumerable games from famous OTB players where a good CC player can find errors because of the opportunity to consider a wider range of moves and responses. This is no different to people generally, some of whom can debate any matter very strongly on a moments notiice, while others need time to get their thoughts together, but having done so, can articulate their point of view with authority.

• 7 years ago · Quote · #186

REDDEVILSRULE

hello all i agree with some ppl bout rating i think they very importantSmile
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #187

justice_avocado

new question (to anybody listening):

when i accept a challenge from somebody, under "game details" it tells me what the game will be worth to my rating. for example:

win: +156  lose: -83  draw: +17

i assume these numbers are derived from my and my opponents' relative strength, as measured by the score we have at the commencement of the game. my question, then, is this: suppose it takes us seven days to play the game. and suppose further that during those seven days, i complete ten other games that were pending at the commencement of the new game. and suppose even further (this will really be a stretch) that i won all ten of those other games.

so my rating goes up. shouldn't that affect that the win/lose/draw numbers for the game i finish after the other ten?

• 7 years ago · Quote · #188

Loomis

Yes, and it does. When you complete a game your rating changes based on the current rating of you and your opponent. The "rating change" listed on the details tab should change any time you or your opponent finishes a game that changes your rating.
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #189

hfludgate2008

i like the idea of everyone startin on the same rating, but i dont understand. if u play someone with a lower rating and u lose u lose more points than if u lose against someone with a higher rating. thats good.
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #190

inferno

Loomis wrote: Yes, and it does. When you complete a game your rating changes based on the current rating of you and your opponent. The "rating change" listed on the details tab should change any time you or your opponent finishes a game that changes your rating.

are you sure about this cause i didnt notice that at allUndecided

• 7 years ago · Quote · #191

Be cos you joined!!!!!LUKY mzor!!!!
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #192

RATE!!!!!nfoerno!!!!
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #193

YES nfoerno!!!!
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #194

Dekker

The more games you played, the lower your rating decrease / increase.

The first time i played against a 1400 rating i won 250, now i only won 16

• 7 years ago · Quote · #195

Dekker

Agung wrote:

hi...

i just wanna say hi 

Agung, this is serious, share your thoughts with all of us.

• 7 years ago · Quote · #196

hi
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #197

starbug

I think it would be better to start at 900.

Starting at 1200 means that everyone is overrated. I know for certain from playing chessmaster on the PC at my chess.com rating means I get pasted. My real rating according to that program is under 1200.

Just my 2 euros :) 

• 7 years ago · Quote · #198

pleasures4life

AlecKeen wrote: Becca wrote: Rating has its place but its not the most important thing. Sometimes you can lose a game on time and it will seriously affect your rating this has nothing to do with how well you play.

Oh yes it does! How well you play includes how well you manage your time. Time is as much part of Chess as it is in other games. In football you could score the greatest goal in history, but if the referee blows time before it goes in it doesn't count. Similarly in Chess if you don't get your moves in within the time, you lose, and correctly so.

Maybe not much effect on your rating in some cases. I played some1 almost 150 rate higher than me and when i won, i was upgraded just 1 rate and him less by 1 rate. teh i played another 1200 starter and lost almost 35 rate and he jumped up to 135something as a first bonus??????

I still don't get it???????????? 

• 7 years ago · Quote · #199

ozshmbal

Ratings -- a measuring stick -- that's it  When I had a rating below 2000 I would challenge a player above that level and get a pathetic message like 'Oops! this player doesn't play anyone below 2000.  You know why!  Because they're scared of losing their precious little rating points.  They would be better off selling insurance, there is more security doing that.  Oops is a jellyfish burp!
  • 7 years ago · Quote · #200

Nilesh021

joeyson wrote:

wow ppl

just play

ratings dont even matter

Yep. Though I must say, I can't stand being a very low rating. It's demeaning. I know it's a game, but winning is the point.

Post your reply: