Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
RATE!!!!!nfoerno!!!!
YES nfoerno!!!!
Dekker

The more games you played, the lower your rating decrease / increase.

The first time i played against a 1400 rating i won 250, now i only won 16

Dekker
Agung wrote:

hi...

i just wanna say hi 

Agung, this is serious, share your thoughts with all of us.

hi
starbug

I think it would be better to start at 900.

Starting at 1200 means that everyone is overrated. I know for certain from playing chessmaster on the PC at my chess.com rating means I get pasted. My real rating according to that program is under 1200.

Just my 2 euros :) 

pleasures4life
AlecKeen wrote: Becca wrote: Rating has its place but its not the most important thing. Sometimes you can lose a game on time and it will seriously affect your rating this has nothing to do with how well you play.

Oh yes it does! How well you play includes how well you manage your time. Time is as much part of Chess as it is in other games. In football you could score the greatest goal in history, but if the referee blows time before it goes in it doesn't count. Similarly in Chess if you don't get your moves in within the time, you lose, and correctly so.

Maybe not much effect on your rating in some cases. I played some1 almost 150 rate higher than me and when i won, i was upgraded just 1 rate and him less by 1 rate. teh i played another 1200 starter and lost almost 35 rate and he jumped up to 135something as a first bonus??????

I still don't get it???????????? 

Nilesh021
joeyson wrote:

wow ppl

just play

ratings dont even matter

Yep. Though I must say, I can't stand being a very low rating. It's demeaning. I know it's a game, but winning is the point.

ponar
the higher the rating ... the better you play!
maniac2008
i am beginning 2 understand this ...
ponar
good maniac
zlhflans

if i get challenged, it tells me how many points i risk or gain, how do i know if i challenge someone else?

maniac2008

i never see how many points i can risk losing or gaining ... where do u find that out?

chessman_calum

wow

drmr4vrmr

true. blitz for good memory and sight. plodders rely more on their analytical skills, performing poorly in blitzes. so i think....anyway.

maniac2008

ok then... i think the ratin is a great idea... but still dont understand it ...

SmokeJS

I like joeyson's earlier response. His answer was don't worry about ratings just play. After all, we all hope we're playing a person at the other end not a person using a computer.

maniac2008

yeah innit

lexsis

o0obruceleeo0o wrote: 1200 is supposed to be the average rating in the elo rating system, so most chess playing websites start all players at 1200.

thats true

maniac2008

ok then ... so u can be great player and u still start at 1200