Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess rating system

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1121

Affinity4Code

wow, idk what to say...

im just posting to get points lol

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1122

suzettemy

This is advice I am taking myself.  As I finish my games, I am putting more time into the ones I am still playing, not taking on any more games.  Once all my games are finished, I wont take on more than 3 at a time, which is comfortable for me.  I can play them with all my strength and much quicker too.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1123

chebf123

i like the rating system. 

the more you play the better.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1124

Rafchess

chebf123 wrote:

i like the rating system. 

the more you play the better.

Smileit's ok.!!!!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1125

Roeczak

Iplayed a 1798 guy at 960 and in a totally losing position (being about 2 pieces down) he was banned from the site for cheating and I got about 155 rating pts.(althoughg I lost them later)))

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1126

Kurt_Stromer

That's a bit like poetic justice, maybe he was only winning because he was cheating. I have no time for cheats, he got what he deserved. Keep trying and learn from your mistakes in your games and you'll get them back in no time. I quite like Bobby Fishers' format, it's more challenging and improoves your agility.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1127

Kurt_Stromer

Ratings are an indicator of a players' strengh and do matter in a sense where in a tourney of different formats eg the swiss, you are more likely to be paired up with an opponent in your ratings range. This applies to online and otb matches. Also, if you find yourself paired up with someone, say 200 elo points above your own, you can expect a damned tough match, which you're more likely to loose than not. By the same token if he/she is 200 elo points  below yours, then it might not be so bad. That is not to say that you shouldn't respect them all the same, because they can still beat you. I've just played 2 matches against a higher rated player, lost the first one miserably, ie. crashed and burned, but won the second in convincing style. He may very well have underestimated me and eased off a bit. It's a win I'm proud of. So you see ratings do matter, especially when you play against people over the 2000 elo points, it's like a different league.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1128

tumblinhiker

ratings are kinda like the collage football rating system for example if some small collage like apilichian state beats va tech there ranking would drastically increase but techs would drastically decrease. learn the value of the pieces and as you play you will learn the better the position of the peices the more they are valued at that pituclar time. like if you had a infantry solder high on a hill and some navy seal at the foot of the clif trying to attack him the battle would kind of even out , whereas if they were on leval ground the seal would have a far better advantage of skill and power.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1129

VietnamGotTalent

Your account may be restricted if you do not follow our Fair Play Policy. If restricted, you will only be able to play with friends. Please do not intentionally abort/disconnect from games or make your opponents wait unnecessarily. Thank you for keeping Chess.com a fun place to enjoy chess!

Please tell me why? i'd never lie every one in the fight

Tour Mui Ne

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1130

splodge600

I haven't got a rating but i have played one or two online/live chess games, do i have to win them in order to get a rating or do i have to play more?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1131

TonyMooney

You do have a rating. Scroll down your live and on line page and look at "current". If you run your cursor over your name above it will show your live rating.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1132

BLS-Envoy

I honestly have never cared for a rating and never will. The strength of a player is all in their head. One who plays well plays well, and one who does not, will lose. That's my philosophy, and I have never deterred from it. Now ratings can give you a general idea of the strength of a player, but they can never be the thing that dictates our strength. Just look at GM Walter Brown losing to a 1500 player on the Ruy Lopez Berlin Wall Fishing Pole trap. It's inituition, quickness, tactics, and strategy that win games. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1133

Rafchess

BLS-Envoy wrote:

I honestly have never cared for a rating and never will. The strength of a player is all in their head. One who plays well plays well, and one who does not, will lose. That's my philosophy, and I have never deterred from it. Now ratings can give you a general idea of the strength of a player, but they can never be the thing that dictates our strength. Just look at GM Walter Brown losing to a 1500 player on the Ruy Lopez Berlin Wall Fishing Pole trap. It's inituition, quickness, tactics, and strategy that win games. 

CoolCoolCool its all the good u said!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1134

Kurt_Stromer

@BLS, what you say is correct with the underlying phrase being 'that ratings do not dictate ones strengh'. They are an indicator and help greatly in tourneys when players are matched up. Having said that, there are always the mis-matches and these are the ones that have the potential to create upsets and so often do.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1135

BLS-Envoy

I did say that were indicators. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1136

Kurt_Stromer

As did I in statement # 1170!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1137

BLS-Envoy

Damn, this is a long thread. ;P

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1138

Mikemacka

mznor wrote:

In playing my first game on Chess.com, I received a rating of 1200, before I played. Why, and how was that arrived at?

dont play WET GLOVES>he is very unprofessional

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1139

Rafchess

VietnamGotTalent wrote:

Your account may be restricted if you do not follow our Fair Play Policy. If restricted, you will only be able to play with friends. Please do not intentionally abort/disconnect from games or make your opponents wait unnecessarily. Thank you for keeping Chess.com a fun place to enjoy chess!

Please tell me why? i'd never lie every one in the fight

Tour Mui Ne

Winkhey u got the right criteria of a good chess fighter as u will never tell a lie!! hats off !!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1140

79Abraxas79

invisible1 wrote:
    Haha people can often be "overrated" or "underrated", a rating isn't always the most accurate measure of a player's playing strength, in my opinion, because it majorly takes into account the no. of games you play! If Kasparov only played one game a year when he was 2750, for e.g., he'll probably take forever to reach 28++. If you play more, your rating can increase OR decrese faster. So don't take rating seriously! What's most important is to enjoy the game. Take rating as an incentive but not everything =)

Indeed a chess rating does not really measure "Chess Strength" because such a thing does not even exist.  All it does is measure past performance.  End of story.

The only thing that matters in Chess is the moves on the board.  Never let a number or a title defeat you or let it intimidate you in anyway.  Again, all that matters is the moves on the board.  

Post your reply: