Forums

Chess teminology

Sort:
billlearns

In chess what are the differences between planning and strategy?

baddogno

If a plan is long term then it is strategy.  There are short range plans too though.  You might be planning a tactical sequence or you could be planning to improve a pieces position which will help your strategic goals.  That's all off the top of my head though so I'm sure there is a more erudite and profound explanation.

billlearns

Thanks for your reply baddogno. Could you provide an example of this so I might get a more clear understanding of this? I think this is an area I am sorely lacking in understanding and thus application in my attempts to play.

TetsuoShima

but how much of chess is really strategy and not just technique??

KvothDuval

idk

baddogno

I'll try billlearns, but probably what we'll learn is just how shallow my knowledge is.  In a typical Sicilian dragon where white has castled queenside, the strategy for both sides is pretty well defined.  White launches a kingside attack (yugoslav) and black is coming queenside.  I've heard this referred to as a race position because time is of the essence and a lost tempo can literally mean the difference between winning and losing.  As TetsuoShima has pointed out here is where proper technique is critical.  The position has been analyzed deeply for both sides so part of your strategy is to choose a particular plan and then implement it.  Depending on your opponents responses however that plan may change over and over again as tactics determine the moves.  Your overall strategy however remains intact.  Best I can do guy, I'm sure there have been books written on this...

billlearns

baddogno; so now I know that I have to modify my plans as the game progresses. Cool. How do I know which side of the board I'm supposed to attack on in any opening? Is there a general rule for this? Or maybe a solid rule? Thanks.

Tetsuo; I'm not really sure what "technique" means. Could you elaborate for me on this? Thanks.

baddogno

Can't give you a general rule, sorry.  As in so much of chess, it depends on the situation.  There are probably a lot more guidelines than I'm aware of but I'll share what I can.  In that dragon example I gave above and generally when castling is on opposite sides, the attacks usually come on opposite wings.  If you've both castled the same side, and the center is locked up, you can "violate" the usual rule about moving pawns from in front of your king and launch a pawn storm.  Generally speaking you want to attack in the same direction that your pawn chain is facing, but I imagine there are plenty of exceptions to this and of course pawn chains don't always stay fixed.  Nope, no simple general rules I'm afraid.  Each pawn chain presents its' own challenges.  Not a bad idea to invest in something like van der Sterren's Fundamental Chess Openings to learn the typical plans for each side in the openings.  Advanced players seem to despise that book because it doesn't go deep enough for them, exactly why it's so valuable for relative newcomers to chess.  Sounds to me that with your interest in the game you should consider bumping up your membership to diamond and get serious about studying.  The questions you ask are the kinds of things addressed in Chess Mentor and many of the videos, especially IM Danny Rensch's live session videos and his neverending pawn structure series.  Hope that helped at least a little.

VLaurenT

If you want to make a distinction, you could say that strategy defines the aim and planning the general means.

Example : my strategical idea is to simplify into a B vs. N endgame with pawns on both sides of the board. My plan is to sacrifice a pawn to distract the opponent's rooks of(f?) the only open file, than seize it, get my pawn back and trade a pair of rooks, thus reaching the endgame I'm aiming at.

Another interpretation is to say planning defines the objectives on the chessboard (like 'strategy' above) and that strategy is a higher level of planning, like pre-game choices (ie. : "I'll play an opening which leads to slow build-up and try to steer into the endgame ; if I have the opportunity, I'll trade queens", or "I don't push too much today, will be happy with a quick draw to get some rest for tomorrow").

VLaurenT

Technique refers to positions where you know very well how to proceed, but the solution are not tactical in nature. Ex. K+P vs. K endgame.

billlearns

Thanks guys.

So here's what I got: STRATEGY is the aim/goal/big picture. PLANNING is the general means of attainment/small picture. TECHNIQUE refers to positional use of the pieces.

I'll look for van der sterren's fundamental chess openings.

Thanks again for all your help men!!!Smile

billlearns

The idea of a PAWN STORM when castled same side and center locked is great. I'll try to look for an opportunity to use it in my games. Thanks.