Forums

Chess960

Sort:
raygarrety

anyone knows what is chess960?

ivandh

The pieces on the 1st and 8th ranks are randomly distributed (black's position always matches white's though). This produces 960 possible starting positions. It's a much more tactical game that eliminates the focus on opening theory.

raygarrety

Is there official tournament made FIDE for this chess960?

ivandh

There are chess960 tournaments, I don't know if they are official or not. I am guessing that FIDE is not involved as they would not be with other variants.

DerekDHarvey

Does anybody know why this was invented and why this platform went along with it?

Gomer_Pyle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

DerekDHarvey

Does not say why anyone would not want to play a game with worldwide appeal for over 400 years. What has it got to do with Chess? I would rather play real chess with the dice.

Gomer_Pyle

Quoted from the Wikipedia article:
"The random setup makes gaining an advantage through the memorization of openings impracticable; players instead must rely more on their spontaneous talent and creativity over the board. "

That's why it was invented and why many prefer it. It focuses more on ability and less on memorization.

JustOneUSer
It was also made by Bobby Fischer, which is worth noting.
DerekDHarvey

Bobby Fischer was a weirdo. Memory is useless without understanding. Why is this fairy chess supported by this platform?

Pancracio2020
raygarrety escribió:

Is there official tournament made FIDE for this chess960?

Yes, first FIDE-sanctioned edition was in 2019, with a very strong field:

2019 FIDE World Fischer Random Chess Championship

Pancracio2020
ivandh escribió:

There are chess960 tournaments, I don't know if they are official or not. I am guessing that FIDE is not involved as they would not be with other variants.

The 2019 world edition was FIDE-sanctioned. Wesly So, Magnus, Nepo and Fabiano were there. 

WhatABro

Chess960 gives many unique positions and makes you think from move 1. Variants are a great way to mix up playing the same 8 x 8 board game

DerekDHarvey

Yes, fairy chess had a following in the chess magazines for the jaded chessplayer. Historically the game was played with 1 or more dice.

Gomer_Pyle

Chess960 does away with most opening memorization and in doing so forces a greater understanding of piece coordination. And it does it by focusing on chess ability without introducing the luck of dice throws.

JustOneUSer
Estrinian wrote:

Bobby Fischer was a weirdo. Memory is useless without understanding. Why is this fairy chess supported by this platform?

Chess960 is supported by chess.com as it is a very popular variant of chess that many people (myself included) enjoy playing. 

Peter1901
Where is chees960
Peter1901
What is chees960
JustOneUSer

Chess960 is a chess variant where each player’s back rank pieces are rearranged in a random order. It removes opening theory from the game as pieces are in different places each game. You can play it on chess.com as a variant on the website or select it on a challenge in the app.