Forums

Chess.com "National Master" title

Sort:
IsaacWiebe

Hello!

I seem to be doing quite well in online blitz, I beat a player with a NM norm (national master) , but I am wondering, what must my minimum rating be (between online chess, blitz chess, bullet chess and standard) before I can earn that illustrious title.

I.Z.

APawnCanDream
BlackBishopThunder wrote:

Hello!

I seem to be doing quite well in online blitz, I beat a player with a NM norm (national master) , but I am wondering, what must my minimum rating be (between online chess, blitz chess, bullet chess and standard) before I can earn that illustrious title.

I.Z.

You can't earn titles online. You earn them through over the board play against other players part of FIDE or national chess federations. You can then show those titles to Chess.com and they'll give you the appropriate tag (CM, NM,FM,IM,GM,WIM,WGM,ect) by your username and free premium membership.

IsaacWiebe
KingsEye wrote:
BlackBishopThunder wrote:

Hello!

I.Z.

You can't earn titles online. You earn them through over the board play against other players part of FIDE or national chess federations. You can then show those titles to Chess.com and they'll give you the appropriate tag (CM, NM,FM,IM,GM,WIM,WGM,ect) by your username and free premium membership.

I guess I see your point there. That would be unfair to the chess society, as a lack of connectivity or other factors could skew results a tad.

Coach-Bill

I've beaten GM's in blitz and they still have their title, but I'm stuck with the one I have until I get out and play some real chess....It's nice to pull an upset in blitz, but it is no measure of your ability.

Magnet-21

I think a more interesting question is, does chess.com only acknowledge American NMs?

tondeaf

Funny question... cute.

ChessMavenYeti

Can you earn a title in blitz if your standard isn't there? For example, I have a FIDE 2231 rating at blitz, but my USCF standard is only 2150.  

KirbyCake

NM is 2200 and chess.com ratings are inflated

if you were to play in tournaments you wouldn't be anywhere close to that title

leiph18

24 months ago

woodencardboard
IsaacWiebe wrote:

Hello!

I.Z.

CavalryFC

IsaacWiebe wrote:

Hello!

I.Z.

I just looked at your 5 year progression on CFC. That is pretty impressive. Can you share what your method of improvement was?

KingsCrusher420

My United States Chess Federation rating is almost identical to my Chess.Com

rating. Do what I did, learn and play as much online as possible, and go give them hell across the chessboard. GL

Amelia_kawaii
Hi