Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chessmaster insulting to 1590 rating?!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #21

nameno1had

NKT73 wrote:

I am being realistic...  you want the worst case scenario.  So you are not let down if it does not happen.  hehe  I can do exactly 1400 Elo once so far. However my diagnostic exam tells me I am 1467 approximately.  So I might have increased in skill by a bit.  I take the exam seriously.  So I actually spend a lot of time on each question.  I spend long enough time so that I feel it is the best answer I could give at the moment having thought out as far as I could go at my level.  Anyways, to make a long story short...  I encourage you to be the best you can be and do your homework.  I always get straight As usually when I do my homework.  So you could be a master in 8 years instead of ten [That was a slight joke].

I can go through the first 6 problems in the checkmate section of the rating diagnostic by memory. I can almost do the seventh, but it is about 14 ply and I get the move order confused, unless I practice it....just to give you an idea. It doesn't necessarily translate into a better real game rating, it does help broaden the horizons of ones mind, as it applies to different positions.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #23

NKT73

Thank you with full respect!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #24

nameno1had

Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

a) If you are playing computers to improve in chess, it's better to compete against real people. A program which has nerves and blunders like real humans doesn't exist yet.

b) If you like playing computers, then just pick a stronger opponent. Who cares what the number says? All you need is a challenge. Likewise, on playing zones some people have ratings like 3400. It doesn't mean they are rated 3400 FIDE.  

I try to play my Chessmaster engine for a challenge. I don't think it improves my play. It plays too far over my head. I think playing people is much better.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #25

NKT73

I personally stick with Chessmaster 10th Edition for the outdated 2000-2005 XBOX because it is the only game that has cute graphics.  Anyways, the people on www.chess.com are too smart.  I play a 900-ish player and I feel like I am hitting a brick.  I play the same level on the Xbox and I feel like a walk in the park.  I only feel like challenging myself like once a year!heheSmile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #26

NKT73

nameno1had wrote:
    NKT73 wrote:

I am being realistic...  you want the worst case scenario.  So you are not let down if it does not happen.  hehe  I can do exactly 1400 Elo once so far. However my diagnostic exam tells me I am 1467 approximately.  So I might have increased in skill by a bit.  I take the exam seriously.  So I actually spend a lot of time on each question.  I spend long enough time so that I feel it is the best answer I could give at the moment having thought out as far as I could go at my level.  Anyways, to make a long story short...  I encourage you to be the best you can be and do your homework.  I always get straight As usually when I do my homework.  So you could be a master in 8 years instead of ten [That was a slight joke].

I can go through the first 6 problems in the checkmate section of the rating diagnostic by memory. I can almost do the seventh, but it is about 14 ply and I get the move order confused, unless I practice it....just to give you an idea. It doesn't necessarily translate into a better real game rating, it does help broaden the horizons of ones mind, as it applies to different positions.

That is awesome dude!  Fourteen sequences is nothing to sneeze at.  I could do maybe 10 if I memorised it and sat there for an hour.  However, my mind starts to see lights at the end of the tunnel  haha

• 3 years ago · Quote · #27

bobbyDK

Beachdude67 wrote:

There is another thing to consider: if you were running a lot of programs in the background on your computer, that will cause fluctuations in the strength of the program, as will the quality of the computer itself. You can depend on a PC with an i7 processor playing better than a computer with a Pentium III.

I have an I5 core 8 gb ram running windows 7 64bit. the only thing running in the background was Spotify for music. I have chessmaster 11.
    Chessmaster® Grandmaster Edition is powered by version 3.50 of The King chess engine. On this system, Chessmaster is rated at 2971 U.S

• 3 years ago · Quote · #28

bobbyDK

nameno1had wrote:
    NKT73 wrote:

Not to think you would do such a thing...  however there is also the answers there too...  so I suggest you do yourself a favor and not look at it until you complete the exam.  You want an accurate rating if you have the test available.  Thank you for reading!

I have taken each section of the exam. The trouble I find with it is that it can be memorized and retaken. Time isn't a factor either. No credit is given to partially correct answers. Just as I have said before, memorizing the answers to puzzles may help you in a game situation or two once in a while, but generally it isn't going to change you actual rating necessarily.

I have taken the rating exam before I became a member on chess.com. at that time I had a hard time solving them correct.
    Now I have memorized all positions because I used a week on each excercise so no point in taking them now - unfortunately you cannot download a new exam it is always the same. I think the rating exam has prepared me for Tactics trainer where I have 1700 to 1900 peaked at 2000.
    I think I spent most time on this excercise in Tactics in the exam.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #29

bobbyDK

Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

a) If you are playing computers to improve in chess, it's better to compete against real people. A program which has nerves and blunders like real humans doesn't exist yet.

b) If you like playing computers, then just pick a stronger opponent. Who cares what the number says? All you need is a challenge. Likewise, on playing zones some people have ratings like 3400. It doesn't mean they are rated 3400 FIDE.  

a ) I guess you are right
    b) what I like about playing against computers like chessmaster is that it never resigns so I even if it should be easy to win I still have to prove it
    and I am also allowed to play on in hopeless positions if I wanted to attempt something. A human would just get annoyed. 
    thanks to this I have a learned more about when to resign in real games and what positions can be saved. I also learned never to take a win for granted.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #30

NKT73

Chessmaster 10th Edition for my Xbox from the year 2000-2004 does a pretty good job with the rating.  Chess dot com and the specific Chessmaster edition that I have agree in ratings.  After 60 games, my system tells me I am at 985 Elo while Chess dot com tell me that I am 970 for over 200 games.  So at least for these two numbers, they agree.  Thank goodness.

P.S.  It is kind of low, however, I am playing five-minute-per-side chess and am newish!heheSmile 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #31

chessyjayesh

could anyone please tell where i can find more puzzeles and that could improve my tactics ........And what is chess master ..........and also which is best chess book to increase your rating

• 3 years ago · Quote · #32

NKT73

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe  Well...  now that we have that settled for all times.  You can find puzzles in many places.  What I have found helpful and free is that you can set up a situation on your own chess-board and ask how you can solve it.  It is kind of reverse engineering.  If you are looking for commercial onces, you can buy a fun game called "Chessmaster 10th Edition".  It has random puzzles you can solve and helps you to get better at chess.  Also Chess Classic 4.0 for XP also has puzzles of the day.  Make sure you get the XP version though since the Mac version does not have the puzzle of the day at this point in time.  I believe ChessTempo.com also has free puzzles to improve your tactics.  The best books to increase your ratings are all of them.  You can gain something from those that have gone before you.  This is just my honest helpful humble opinion#!!hehe

• 3 years ago · Quote · #33

bobbyDK

NKT73 wrote:

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe  Well...  now that we have that settled for all times.  You can find puzzles in many places.  What I have found helpful and free is that you can set up a situation on your own chess-board and ask how you can solve it.  It is kind of reverse engineering.  If you are looking for commercial onces, you can buy a fun game called "Chessmaster 10th Edition".  It has random puzzles you can solve and helps you to get better at chess.  Also Chess Classic 4.0 for XP also has puzzles of the day.  Make sure you get the XP version though since the Mac version does not have the puzzle of the day at this point in time.  I believe ChessTempo.com also has free puzzles to improve your tactics.  The best books to increase your ratings are all of them.  You can gain something from those that have gone before you.  This is just my honest helpful humble opinion#!!hehe

I think you should choose chessmaster 11 if you go with the chessmaster solution. there may be nearly no difference but the Art of Learning training part added is very great.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #34

NKT73

Thank you!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #35

zirtoc

I love the Waitzkin videos.  Even if players on the low end struggle to understand his ideas, Josh's style of narration makes it fun to watch and learn.  I find as my chess gets stronger, I can appreciate his videos in a whole new way.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #36

zborg

Playing against computers is a terrible waste of your time.

All you learn is either "death by a thousand cuts," or they make dumb moves and lose. Either way, very unsatisfying.

Use engines for playing over, and analyzing, your regular games against other humans. Then lots of new ideas (and corrections) will jump out at you.  Those are the kinds of practical insights that will strengthen your play.

Post your reply: