Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

ChessTV -- POB Topic 1: Future World Champ(s)?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #2

hokiesfan

Never heard of these guys lol I heard of nakamura so ill go with him lol
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #3

trysts

Aronian will be the next World Champion. Caruana will be his first challenger, after the rematch clause, and Carlen's defeat in the Candidates Matches in 2014Wink

• 4 years ago · Quote · #5

Kopernikus

A discussion about future world champs without bothering about the 20 year old with the 2800 rating?

Bit like if it were 1983 and we ruled out Kasparov.  Which is to say, hardly worth talking about at all, since the answer is a slam dunk for the next decade unless Magnus gives up the game.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #7

AmrAbulaban

I didnt quite understand why Carlsen isint an option???!!!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #9

EternalChess

Most of these guys are too young.. But if it was people in this list I would say 1. Caruana 2. Nakamura and 3. So... Btw who the hell is Danny?? Wait.. Thats you! I'll be nice, you come 7th on this list :)
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #10

Shakaali

I believe that the next champion is most probably an old champion (Anand, Kramnik, Topalov) or possibly Carlsen. But if we look at the list from post #1 I think that Anish Giri has impressed me the most - he appears to have that "X factor". Amazingly this young guy is already one of the better game commentators around. Honest, hard working approach for game analysis (and not just computerized opening analysis) is very promissing sign and was for example typical of Kasparov.

I also find it bit strange that Naka is listed but Karjakin isn't - I seem to recall they are about the same age and I feel that so far Karjakin has achieved more in classical chess. I think Naka needs first to cut down his bullet play, start taking preparation more seriously  and gain more experience from elite tournaments before he can be seriously considered a candidate.

P.S. During recent wch match team Anand received outside help from Kasparov, Kramnik, Carlsen and ... Giri. What should we make of this!?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #12

Shakaali

There are so many strong young players these days... Maybe Ilya Nyzhnyk is one name that might be worth mentioning.  

• 4 years ago · Quote · #13

Nytik

I don't forsee a young English chessplayer entering the 2700+ scene any time soon... the best hopes we have seem to be Yang-Fan Zhou, a 15 year old with 225 ECF (i.e. about 2450 FIDE) and Felix Ynojosa, a 14 year old with 215 ECF (i.e. about 2370 FIDE); maybe they will break 2700, but World Champion is a bit of a stretch...

• 4 years ago · Quote · #14

EternalChess

Nytik wrote:

I don't forsee a young English chessplayer entering the 2700+ scene any time soon... the best hopes we have seem to be Yang-Fan Zhou, a 15 year old with 225 ECF (i.e. about 2450 FIDE) and Felix Ynojosa, a 14 year old with 215 ECF (i.e. about 2370 FIDE); maybe they will break 2700, but World Champion is a bit of a stretch...

ECF is a joke.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #15

Conflagration_Planet

bsrasmus wrote:

BTW, Danny, you are already the unofficial World Champion.  There is no need to make it official. 

That makes me think of that old song about an ant, and a rubber tree plant.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #16

Nytik

SerbianChessStar wrote:
    Nytik wrote:

ECF is a joke.

Are you talking about the gradings, or the organisation in general? Because I'll agree that the ECF is not doing too well for itself; there is nothing wrong with the grading, however. It remains accurate (at least within our own pool; and the conversions for higher grades are also quite close).

• 4 years ago · Quote · #18

aj415

Hey btw Danny you picked So but the topic changed before you could back your pick. Thoughts?

I'd probably have to go with Giri he seems like a machine.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #20

jlueke

None of the players mentioned really have been consistent enough where you can say they have a real shot.  So I'm going to go with Yifan Hou.

Post your reply: