Forums

Cutoff Rating When No Longer Patzer ?

Sort:
Radical_Drift
nameno1had wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:

nameno no the facts dont remain, ims and gms still use and teach capablancas theories. thats probably one ofthe reason  they are no patzers and sub 2400 are patzers....

to a GM they are but the are chess gods compared to you... and yes, even Capablanca, though he was instrumental in the discovery of a few examples of chess theory still used today, you argue all you like, but the game isn't the same...

Well, I found this wording confusing, in any case. Now that I think of it, you were saying even Capablanca would look like a chess god to Tetsuo Shima? I was confused because I thought "they" referred to the sub-2400 players and "even Capablanca" referred to who they would smash since it is next tocTetsuo Shima. I thought the last sentence of chess changing was intended to clarify that that was the intention, but I suppose I was mistaken.

Radical_Drift
nameno1had wrote:
chessman1504 wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
TetsuoShima wrote:

nameno no the facts dont remain, ims and gms still use and teach capablancas theories. thats probably one ofthe reason  they are no patzers and sub 2400 are patzers....

to a GM they are but the are chess gods compared to you... and yes, even Capablanca, though he was instrumental in the discovery of a few examples of chess theory still used today, you argue all you like, but the game isn't the same...

Capablanca is less than sub-2400??? I know chess openings have changed in the past century, but I think such an assertion is flat-out wrong. Generally, I don't just parrot what computers had to say about a player's level of skill, but the fact that very strong computers consider Capablanca the most accurate player is certainly significant. Just because computers say it doesn't make it true, but certainly, opening theory aside, Capablanca was stronger than sub-2400 level???

http://en.chessbase.com/home/TabId/211/PostId/4007621

Of course openings are a large part of chess, especially the modern game. However, I'm talking about the game as a whole, and I'm disputing that sub-2400 players are not only stronger all-around players than Capablanca but that they are so much stronger than he is to be considered chess gods compared to him.

I am not sure who you are disputing, but I don't thing Capa was or is a patzer, even by todays standards, in spite of the fact, the game isn't the same today. The relative strength of players seems to have increased over time, but the elite GM's in my mind would be on par with on another's talent or perhaps better said, belong at the same table playing each other.

I was trying demonstrate the relativety and subjectivety of some one being a patzer, depending upon who we are talking about. (Example) a 2400 might be a considered a patzer to Carlsen or Anand, but to me they are like a chess god or playing against an engine.

Nevermind what was written here (I made a grammatical correction that was actually unnecessary. I was confused by my own sentence!)

Superqueen500

1700 Fide = Cut off for patzer

Which means I still am a patzer.

DrCheckevertim

Thanks for bumping a year old thread to tell us.

Lethal_Knights

I'm a patzer rated 2100 USCF

Ziryab

Nepo is almost there.

Lethal_Knights

Nepo is no patzer

Lethal_Knights

He is a world championship challenger.

NikkiLikeChikki
Unless you become a super GM someone will always think you’re a patzer. And even then, Magnus’ evaluation of Naka’s chess skills as “all right” wasn’t exactly high praise.

The lesson? If you don’t want to be thought of as a patzer, then surround yourself with weaker players.
Anonymous_Dragon

Anybody below my rating is a patzer

ninjaswat

3000+ are for non-patzers happy.png

Jenium

My guess is that people above 2300 Elo / FM level play good chess. (But I don't really know since I am not there.) 

But I think above 1600 Elo or so players are able to have somewhat decent games and employ reasonable strategies. 

Radical_Drift

I've always assumed 2000 (i.e. expert level) is "good" (of course, they still "suck" compared to IMs, who "suck" compared to SuperGMS/Magnus

DiogenesDue

This is a trick question.  Unless you are rated 2750+, then everybody is a patzer to some other player.

Ziryab
jesse20100 wrote:

Nepo is no patzer

He played like one today.