Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Defeating Chess Titans

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

CharlesConrad

I don't pretend to be good at chess but I'd like to get a lot better. I've known the moves since I was a little kid, I've played family members with some success (as well as some online games here), I have used Chess Mentor and Tactics Trainer a good deal here but I can't seem to defeat Chess Titans. I play it on Level 8 because it moves faster than 10. I'm not too proud to admit my skill level isn't great if I can't beat a computer that others seem to find easy (from what I've read of reviews on the matter). I don't want to take away from Tactics Trainer and Mentor, but the reason I spent the money to use those tools was to get better at Chess. I don't think I have gotten better if trying to beat that system with playing ability is what's measured, the youtube videos (beating Chess Titans in X moves or what have you) don't do much. 

I just wonder if anyone else has met the same problems either now, or before and they found a way to master that. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

Scottrf

I doubt I could. I believe it fails against pawn rushes.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

Dutchday

You could lose to it, if you were rushing and playing quite casually. However if you take a moment to set up a tactic it will most likely miss it. Also it isn't any good at endgames or closed positions, like a typical weak AI. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

AnthonyCG

It's not too dangerous and you can beat it tactically. I almost drew it with White against the Najdorf but I screwed up bad... Anyway if you can get it out of book fast and get a big lead in development you can probably beat it. It doesn't play very well when there is some kind of dynamic play in the position.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

MoonlessNight

Chess titans (level 10) is not very strong for a engine. The last time I played, it was a drawn position, but I had one pawn vs a knight. Instead of taking my pawn and the draw however, it let me promote and I went on to win in a K + Q vs K + N endgame.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

CharlesConrad

I don't see the same places to "set up tactics" that I have in tactics trainer. This is a fault of me. But as I suspected I see the review that the AI of the computer isn't actually that deep.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

pellik

Like all computers it can't handle calm strategic positions. If you set up a mostly closed position and restrain the natural pawn breaks it will start playing very badly. It's exceptionally weak against Bf4 QGD, the London system, (both options where white restricts an e5 break) etc. 

• 24 months ago · Quote · #8

plutonia

CharlesConrad wrote:

I don't pretend to be good at chess but I'd like to get a lot better. I've known the moves since I was a little kid, I've played family members with some success (as well as some online games here), I have used Chess Mentor and Tactics Trainer a good deal here but I can't seem to defeat Chess Titans. I play it on Level 8 because it moves faster than 10. I'm not too proud to admit my skill level isn't great if I can't beat a computer that others seem to find easy (from what I've read of reviews on the matter). I don't want to take away from Tactics Trainer and Mentor, but the reason I spent the money to use those tools was to get better at Chess. I don't think I have gotten better if trying to beat that system with playing ability is what's measured, the youtube videos (beating Chess Titans in X moves or what have you) don't do much. 

I just wonder if anyone else has met the same problems either now, or before and they found a way to master that. 

I think that playing against AI is a really bad way to judge your chess abilities.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #9

CharlesConrad

Self conscious about those abilities. 

Post your reply: