Forums

Difference between 1400 and 1600 rated players.

Sort:
ModestAndPolite
[COMMENT DELETED]
Here_Is_Plenty
chess_lover201 wrote:
chess_lover201 wrote:
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:

And the conversation continued smoothly as if the 23 month gap were irrelevant.  God bless the internet.

lol

macer75
chess_lover201 wrote:
chess_lover201 wrote:
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:
chess_lover201 wrote:
chess_lover201 wrote:
Here_Is_Plenty wrote:

And the conversation continued smoothly as if the 23 month gap were irrelevant.  God bless the internet.

lol

what's the lol?

i cannot understand it

I can!

Here_Is_Plenty

I'll explain in another 3 years.

DKBRAO
[COMMENT DELETED]
Mate11

My opening theory always has been solid as I actually love to look at them for fun and time kill, the stories behind them and who developed them and why truly interests me, my understanding of exchanges and what to keep in what type of game is good,I know how to exploit open and semi open files, I have studied all end-game and rook end game deeply... I understand prophylaxis, poison pawns, blockades, and all these modern technicalities... but I dont know when and how to go for the kill, its like I will not dare to...
some of you guys mention how important it is to go over all of your enemy checks, threats and tactics but learning how to get the feel for the kill is very important too.... I feel like thats what fills the gap between 1400 and 1600... A 1400 player already looks for all the checks and threats and have a good understanding of tactics and positional playing, I feel like 1400 is WAY over average... the difference is that the 1600 actually knows when to go for the kill.

I don't really know my rating as I am just a park and coffee shop player.... but my friend is 1637Fide and he really can see every possible mates or huge threats when we revise my games togheter.

Here's a good example of a blitz I played at the park today that truly shows how much of a wuss I can be.

elielfassy

if you have advice how to break 1600 barrier I would be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmNaZc5fF4

AthenaTheChessCub

lol, this thread is almost 10 years old 😂😂😂

AthenaTheChessCub
  • ok here we go!!!!!
CedrHask

IMO 1400 players are not so high and mighty as 1600 - 1800 players. Of course, there are exceptions.

CedrHask

but also agree 1400s blunder peices and 1600s blunder pawns

smartreynor

I have played 1400 player and 1600 player. I have played both and see a big gap of skill between 1400 and 1600 player.

1400 player easily fall into my traps (leave pieces without support for capture only to end up getting more after exchange or worst getting a checkmate). They also tend to do blunder leaving pieces hanging after discovered attack (moving a pawn with a bishop or rook or queen behind it). I can easily give up a piece (knight or bishop) and during the game I'm pretty sure I can still win.

Playing with 1600 are tougher. If you don't know how t play the opening, they will attack you while developing. You will end up with cramped position, uncastled king, double pawns. Those 1600 players still commit blunder but they are so few. 

1600 players know when to capture and when to avoid exchange. They have also good tactic skills and good mating pattern recognition (knight and queen, rook, bishop and rook, pawn and queen, backrank mate) 

In summary, a 1600 player can exploit a pawn advantage all the way to the endgame since once having material advantage he will simplify things and exchange all pieces to bring game to endgame. 

rubencavens

There is quite a difference between a 1400 and 1600 player positionally speaking (and tactically). But I think also the higher the elo's the less difference there is between the players.

DarkGrisen

I feel like there is no difference at all between 1200 and 1600 lol

Knight_king1014

SrijanSaha014

You just panicked seeing a 1600

Kinokita

There's no difference at all

Cyncko-3000

1600 is a transitioning point from where u go from Beginner to Intermediate. So I think that those 1600 dudes you played with have some experience in that range. DW , play some more and u'll eventually get used to it.