Forums

Do chess.com know the rules of chess?

Sort:
Fred-Splott

Well, I just lost a game of blitz. I had a bishop and a couple of pawns remaining. My opponent had just a bare king. Guess what? I lost on time! Now, I am aware that it is impossible to lose on time in such a situation. Yet I'm still being bombarded with invitations to pay for an uprated membership. Does this mean that if I pay them then they will actually apply the rules of chess to my games????

fianchetto123

post the link to the game please

Fred-Splott

http://www.chess.com/fb/livechess/game?id=450032448

I had a second remaining when I took the last pawn. I took the pawn and then my time went to zero. Evidently chess.com has some sort of problem regarding timing because you can't lose a chess game on time when your opponent has no mating material and guess what? The program has kindly replaced his pawn. I am really not very impressed!

rooperi

According to the final position, you didnt take the pawn. Your time must have dropped just before.

And yes, chess.com does know the rules, and they are implemented perfectly.

fianchetto123

And your lag was probably the issue.

Fred-Splott

Since in the game I did take the pawn, there is evidently a problem and the problem is not mine.

Fred-Splott

And since I was moving instantaneously and yet the program managed to have me take something like five seconds for my last four moves, I would suggest that what you call "my" lag is not actually my lag at all but an endemic programming issue.

Doggy_Style
Fred-Splott wrote:

Since in the game I did take the pawn, there is evidently a problem and the problem is not mine.

I've had it happen a few times. Play a move on the board, to later discover that I'm out of time. It's probably lag and I was too slow. I just suck it up and move on. What else is there?

LordHarnois
Fred-Splott wrote:

And since I was moving instantaneously and yet the program managed to have me take something like five seconds for my last four moves, I would suggest that what you call "my" lag is not actually my lag at all but an endemic programming issue.

Goodness was this game worth a million dollers for you to get this upset over? Lag is lag good sir no matter how awful it is.

Fred-Splott

It's annoying, that's all. If it is an unimportant issue then evidently it is insufficiently unimportant for you to answer. Yet you answered and you are supporting "authority" and the status quo. That's your choice.

They want our money and yet they have programming issues wherein we're recorded as having lost games that we haven't lost and pawns are replaced on the board. It really is that simple!! Goodbye and thankyou for your interest!!

Fred-Splott

Insufficiently unimportant! :( Sorry!

eddysallin

Does chess.com know the rules of chess ? Hmmmm.....let me think. Does chess---- YES !                         Did i come up w/ the right answer?

bigpoison
Doggy_Style wrote:
Fred-Splott wrote:

I've had it happen a few times. Play a move on the board, to later discover that I'm out of time. It's probably lag and I was too slow. I just suck it up and move on. What else is there?

Awhile ago, they changed live chess so that even premoves take some fraction of time off your clock.

Doggy_Style
bigpoison wrote:
Doggy_Style wrote:
Fred-Splott wrote:

Awhile ago, they changed live chess so that even premoves take some fraction of time off your clock.

I am aware of that but I don't use premoves. I'm talking about playing a move that gives rise to checkmate and seeing it "stick", then a fraction later, the "You've lost on time" notification appears. With the board still showing checkmate.

ManicDemoN

What???????When the opponent has no mating material YOU CANNOT LOOSE on time?? Is this true? Ive lost a few games like that and thought ofcourse that i lost on time though it seemed unfair .... But in a sense if you have a queen and the opponent K+2p and you loose on time? It is still unfair in that sense...

NimzoRoy
Estragon wrote:

Wow, to argue so much over flagging in a blitz game - you must be a real treat in OTB tournaments.        +1Tongue Out

Be faster to move and slower to whine.   ivandh   +1

ivandh

Be faster to move and slower to whine.

LordHarnois
ivandh wrote:

Be faster to move and slower to whine.

Words of a genius!

fianchetto123

Genius indeed. 

brisket

He still has a pawn left which means that he does have sufficent material to mate. Even though it could easily be captured.