Forums

Do YOU know when to resign?

Sort:
waffllemaster

4 years old huh?  I knew these threads had a long history (even before the internet right) but I've never seen such a dinosaur in person Tongue out

If they just stickied this, bishop vs knight, greatest player ever, and common courtesy in chess, we'd hardly ever seen a new topic huh.

I still like my answer though.  I resign when:

1. I believe my position is lost,
2. I believe my opponent knows my position is lost and
3. I believe my opponent is able enough to win without difficulty.

shepi13

tennisbuck

I only like resigning when I am in an end game, and my opponant is going to ineviditably promote a pawn. Otherwise I like to finish out all my games. Obviously their are some extreme exceptions, but this is the main time that I like to resign.

tennisbuck

I only like resigning when I am in an end game, and my opponant is going to ineviditably promote a pawn. Otherwise I like to finish out all my games. Obviously their are some extreme exceptions, but this is the main time that I like to resign.

summersolstice

The main situation for which I resign is when I lose both my rooks and my queen. Because they're the pieces I rely on most.

Scottrf

Won today from a rook down against someone 100 points above me.

transpo

Resign?  I would resign, but then I couldn't see your winning technique.

bobbyDK
[COMMENT DELETED]
shepi13

My opponent today found out that one should never resign. After all, you always have some winning chance.

AndyClifton

I think what your opponent really found was that he needs to do a bit more work on his game. Wink

shepi13

My USCF rating went down by 2 because of that game. If I'd won it would have gone up by like 100 Cry. I feel like an idiot.

AndyClifton

Wait a minute, you were White in that thing?!  Eek! 

shepi13

I know - I get a 2200 tactics trainer rating but miss mate in ones.

AndyClifton

Oh well, Nigel Short once fell into something rather similar (if it makes you feel any better)... Smile