Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Does Chess Make You Better In Math?


  • 13 months ago · Quote · #61

    kiwi

    thrillhill_03 wrote:

    If you're good at chess, you most likely have a mathematical mind. 

    I don't entirely agree with your statement, I think it would be more accurate to say "if you're good at chess, there is a strong possibility you have a reasonable grasp of logical truth and memory..", that is simply by making an observation of master level players. 

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #62

    SubNY

    Kasparov oncce alluded to an experiment in germany. 

    Two groups of students of similar strength - were enrolled in the same math class. one group was also taught chess principles. 

    When the exam was taken, the group with the chess lessons clearly did better in the same meth test. 


    The video is on youtube where kasparov speaks about the virtues of chess (low cost, improves analytical skills etc) and pushes to popularise it in schools

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #63

    JaneBellamy

    SubNY wrote:

    Kasparov oncce alluded to an experiment in germany. 

    Two groups of students of similar strength - were enrolled in the same math class. one group was also taught chess principles. 

    When the exam was taken, the group with the chess lessons clearly did better in the same meth test

     

    The video is on youtube where kasparov speaks about the virtues of chess (low cost,

     

    improves analytical skills etc) and pushes to popularise it in schools



  • 13 months ago · Quote · #64

    macer75

    Thing is there are a lot of other ways to improve analytical skills that are more direct, and therefore usually mor effective.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #65

    macer75

    Btw, when I opened this thread I saw this ad next to it:

    Interestingly, I've never seen this ad on chess.com before. Is it a conicidence that it's on this thread?

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #66

    macer75

    And now that I look at the problem again, I suddenly realized that it's not a valid problem. In the original ad there was a space after "5 +," and you were supposed to fill it out. Which I just realized is impossible with just the information given.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #67

    I-eat-guini-pigs

    macer75 wrote:

    And now that I look at the problem again, I suddenly realized that it's not a valid problem. In the original ad there was a space after "5 +," and you were supposed to fill it out. Which I just realized is impossible with just the information given.

    +1

     

    lol

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #68

    owltuna

    Even if something were plugged into that space, it is still unsolvable, being one equation with two unknowns.

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #69

    GSHAPIROY

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #70

    shockinn

    macer75 wrote:

    Btw, when I opened this thread I saw this ad next to it:

     

    Interestingly, I've never seen this ad on chess.com before. Is it a conicidence that it's on this thread?


    3 variables & 1 equation. Yell

  • 13 months ago · Quote · #71

    ivandh

    macer75 a écrit :

    And now that I look at the problem again, I suddenly realized that it's not a valid problem. In the original ad there was a space after "5 +," and you were supposed to fill it out. Which I just realized is impossible with just the information given.

    That's why you need to go to their website and pay lots of money!


Back to Top

Post your reply: