Forums

does vote chess really help u learn or is it just fun?

Sort:
math26

of course vote chess is fun, but does it really help u work ur mind?

post ur opinions here!

Rowan

Vote chess has the option of talking and discussing before the move.

One of many ways of doing it

Rowan

Talking of vote chess; thread feed back.

Do you talk, or just vote?

Rowan

math26 ?

Scottrf

I don't see how any move analysis and discussion wouldn't help.

Rowan

I don't that or math26

Pre_VizsIa
Scottrf wrote:

^This. In the bigger games/groups you have titled players commenting and having to justify the reasoning behind their moves. What could be better?

josh707

I dont think it helps

ajttja

it depends, if you are active in the VC and are posting variations and some one else is arguing against you saying that another move is better then it is good. If you just do a move without looking at the comments then it is bad.

josh707

Yeah... you're right

SmyslovFan

Vote chess is consultation chess. If you are just voting without reading what others say, there will be little improvement.

If you actively discuss your plans with other players in a vote chess game, vote chess is an excellent tool for helping to hone analysis, discover weaknesses in evaluation, and learn new openings.

Vote chess, like so much in life, is as good as you want to make it.

Scottrf

I don't know if people can see our comments (white), but for me it's definitely a learning experience.

http://www.chess.com/votechess/game?id=35918

Irontiger
SmyslovFan wrote:

Vote chess is consultation chess. If you are just voting without reading what others say, there will be little improvement.

If you actively discuss your plans with other players in a vote chess game, vote chess is an excellent tool for helping to hone analysis, discover weaknesses in evaluation, and learn new openings.

Vote chess, like so much in life, is as good as you want to make it.

I wouldn't write it better.

@Scottrf : non group members can see moves via the archive only once the game is finished (which is the case here).

Scottrf

@Irontiger thanks.

Enjoyed that particular game. No stealth voting and almost all group members involved in discussion.

rooperi
Timothy_P wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

^This. In the bigger games/groups you have titled players commenting and having to justify the reasoning behind their moves. What could be better?

Some teams suck at vote chess, some teams cheat at vote chess, some teams blindly follow what better/titled players suggest.

Very rarely do you get groups where there is really discussion and debate.

I'm lucky to be part of one such group, Budapest Gambiteers, if all vote chess was played like this it would be an amazing learning experience.

akafett

VC games can be a good way for patzers like myself to learn and improve. But, you have to participate on a team where others discuss every move and are serious about it. If not, you are wasting your time. And associating yourself with high rated players is a definate plus, also.

The hard part is finding a Vote Chess team that WILL take the time to discuss ideas during the game.