Forums

downloading your games

Sort:
trigs

is there no option to download all your live games at one time? do i just have to go through all of them to download them?

i tried to download all my games using the process explained below but it did not work.

(from the "My Chess Game Archive" section, I had it set to show me all my live games. I selected the link at the bottom of the page that says "Download all my games in one PGN", but it only downloaded my online games, not my live games).

Martin_Stahl

Here is one way it works. Go to your archive, select the live games in the filter, click the select all link (which will checkmark all the games) and then click the Download PGN button (which will send an e-mail with an attachment).

I don't know what it will do if you have more than one page (I only have one) but I assume it would only give the ones on the current page and you could repeat the steps for each page.

Not sure why the link at the bottom wouldn't take the filter into consideration. Does that link just give your online or live and online?

trigs
Martin_Stahl wrote:

Here is one way it works. Go to your archive, select the live games in the filter, click the select all link (which will checkmark all the games) and then click the Download PGN button (which will send an e-mail with an attachment).

I don't know what it will do if you have more than one page (I only have one) but I assume it would only give the ones on the current page and you could repeat the steps for each page.

Not sure why the link at the bottom wouldn't take the filter into consideration. Does that link just give your online or live and online?

apparently that link only gives you your online games. at least that's what's happening to me. i guess i'll just have to go a page at a time. sucks.

Martin_Stahl

Better than one game at a time Wink

trigs

oh my god, that doesn't even work because i have to wait for the first page to be emailed to me before i can start the next one. wtf!

rooperi

Yeah, they do need a better filter.

Her'es how it works:

Click on "view games archive" (on either live or online, whichever one you want)

At the bottom there is a link "Download all my games in one PGN"

Click that, wait up to a few hours, and get it in you email.

I do this every now and again, because there is no easy way to select 500 games and deselect 3500, it's just easier to do the lot all over.

trigs
rooperi wrote:

Her'es how it works:

Click on "view games archive" (on either live or online, whichever one you want)

I do this every now and again, because there is no easy way to select 500 games and deselect 3500, it's just easier to do the lot all over.

but this just gives me my online games, not my live games. i'm looking to download all my live games. i already have all the online ones.

rooperi
trigs wrote:
rooperi wrote:

Her'es how it works:

but this just gives me my online games, not my live games. i'm looking to download all my live games. i already have all the online ones.

Even on your live chess page?

trigs
rooperi wrote:
trigs wrote:
rooperi wrote:

Her'es how it works:

Even on your live chess page?

yup. didn't make sense to me either.

estrouse

There needs to be a way to download all games. 

fischermx

I can't believe this feature hasn't been implemented after 6 years...

spoons-not-forks

While it's definitely a pain that there's now way to download all games at once, it's easy enough to scroll the pages and download all of them. If you're a Windows user, one line of powershell can aggregate them all into one file:

cat '.\chess_com_games_2017-09-21*' | sc allgames.txt

The first parameter is the prefix of the name of the files (that they all have in common) + *. The second parameter is the file where you want to store all of the results. Again, not the best solution, but it works. Link to some python visualizations of my games to come. 

1e4
zooted27 wrote:

While it's definitely a pain that there's now way to download all games at once, it's easy enough to scroll the pages and download all of them. If you're a Windows user, one line of powershell can aggregate them all into one file:

cat '.\chess_com_games_2017-09-21*' | sc allgames.txt

The first parameter is the prefix of the name of the files (that they all have in common) + *. The second parameter is the file where you want to store all of the results. Again, not the best solution, but it works. Link to some python visualizations of my games to come. 

This works... (On mac it is cat *.pgn > ExampleName.pgn) 

But, I can't for the life of me get everything to order by date correctly when on page-by-page download from the archive.   It is doing my head in. 

tmeland

upvote for making an option to download all my games at once

CONCHESSNESS

Archive- Down by the search bar on the right click advanced- Click the bar near top (most recent games)

- choose Live or Daily- Search- select the box at top then download! I checked the dates from first to last on chess.com and verified the first and last games when I opened the archive in Chessbase!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it for yourself! happy.png Dont forget to go back and select the other format to get all your games.

gperdigo8
CONCHESSNESS wrote:

Archive- Down by the search bar on the right click advanced- Click the bar near top (most recent games)

- choose Live or Daily- Search- select the box at top then download! I checked the dates from first to last on chess.com and verified the first and last games when I opened the archive in Chessbase!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it for yourself!  Dont forget to go back and select the other format to get all your games.

Whatever I try I only get to download a max of 50 games at once —the ones showing on the page when I click the checkbox. There seems to be no way of selecting ALL games from ALL pages. Quite disappointing sad.png

notmtwain
gperdigo8 wrote:
CONCHESSNESS wrote:

- choose Live or Daily- Search- select the box at top then download! I checked the dates from first to last on chess.com and verified the first and last games when I opened the archive in Chessbase!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it for yourself!  Dont forget to go back and select the other format to get all your games.

Whatever I try I only get to download a max of 50 games at once —the ones showing on the page when I click the checkbox. There seems to be no way of selecting ALL games from ALL pages. Quite disappointing

There is an API.  People have set up scripts to download all the games.  Visit the Developers Club for more information.

Droloch

I shouldn't have to set up a script or do anything special to have easy access to all my played games on chess.com.  There should be a simple link that would allow me to download my entire archive (not just 50 games at a time) into a pgn, and this feature should be advertised.  

notmtwain
Droloch wrote:

I shouldn't have to set up a script or do anything special to have easy access to all my played games on chess.com.  There should be a simple link that would allow me to download my entire archive (not just 50 games at a time) into a pgn, and this feature should be advertised.  

If they made it too easy, people could use it to slow down/ bring down the servers.  

You only have 1,154 games. You could do it 50 at a time in less than an hour.

DixonJones
Why does this not work?

Please could Chess.com give us a little message to tell us why this button is greyed out? It obviously LOOKS like the functionality is there and I would like to run some analysis over my games to find patterns where I repeat errors. Bit I can't sad.png Better help please! We are not all script kiddies... some of us were born before the interwebby and we are just trying to keep up!