Forums

Early for carlsen

Sort:
alaa78

I knew recently that a match between carlsen and the world would be held in september 10th. I really was wondering that when Kasparov played against the world in 1999 he was the world champion already.

Why is the whole focus on carlsen now, isnt it early still? doesnt he have to beat the world champion Anand first ?

just wondering... 

TheMoonwalker

There was a gap between Kasparov and the rest of the world.

That gap does not exist for Carlsen yet.

So yeah, maybe you're right.. It's early.

Runner3434

I think Carlsen does have a gap in many ways, he is very much feared.  

More importantly it is part of the brand that is being built around him at Artic, and therefore he will probably play the world several times (possibly once a year!).

erik

he's the #1, he's exciting to watch, and he's marketable. this event is a company-sponsored match that is for publicity as well. :)

alaa78

i didnt intend from my post to ask who pays for what and where the money goes,for thats pure business and i dont see the reason why chess.com or others has to justify their profits :) there are profits no question about that.Carlsen getting more attention ie sponsors, which sure means to them a good return on investment :P ,for the guy has good chances of winning than losing.

How fair is that towards other players who got the talent and skill but no sponsors? this is also another issue.

But i meant to say that Carlsen is #1 in FIDE rankings by points but that doesnt mean he is the best player in the world yet! still players like Anand, topalov, kramnik whom some are close while others still ahead of him by strength!

SimonSeirup

I think its early to, i think Anand should play this World Challenge. I dont think Carlsen is the best in the world yet, he's just number 1 ELO ranked. If he was the best, why didnt he win the world championship?

Tricklev
alaa78 wrote:
But i meant to say that Carlsen is #1 in FIDE rankings by points but that doesnt mean he is the best player in the world yet! still players like Anand, topalov, kramnik whom some are close while others still ahead of him by strength!

Who would that be? A few days ago Anand got the question if he considers himself the best player in the world. Guess his response?