Forums

Eduardo Sadier's 50 000 mating positions

Sort:
vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

Hello. LucasChess, which I believe to be a pretty nice (and free for that) program, consist a posibility of training 50 000 Eduardo Sadier's positions (all of them are mate in 2). All these positions are quite difficult (at least for me) and look pretty strange. Are these positions natural (i.e. do they occur in a real games) and is it worthwhile to train them?

VLaurenT

When you say strange, do you mean these are compositions rather than real games positions ?

CaptainCarrot64

???

vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

I'm not sure. It's possible these are compositions...

VLaurenT

If you cn post one or two, it would be easy to say.

EscherehcsE

Well, Sadier's web site says he took the positions from magazines, newspapers, Problemiste, and MatPlus, etc.

vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

Here are the first two of them:

VLaurenT

Ok these are compositions, rather than ' real-life' situations. As such, I believe they have lesser practical value for training.

You can still use them to help with visualisation skills, but I think there are much more useful things to do first.

heavyop

Well, it seems to me that one reason that compostitions are important to study (though not the only thing you should be doing to study and improve) is that these 'fake' positions can show you different ideas that you might not see in everyday play. Everyone can mate in those two positions, but maybe there is something specific to learn by doing it in 2 moves.

coalescenet

the second one is nice, Bb2 Kd3

RubiksRevenge

Just speaking for myself, I have tried hard to practise with these obscure mate in 2 problems but just don't have the knack to improve my ability. My thinking always resorts to the I go there he goes there then I go there routine. I feel my time is wasted doing these exercises. Where as spending my time on tactical exercises has a more beneficial reward.

Charlie101

does anyone know where to find the pgn of these positions? or does anyone know how to extract the pgn from lucas chess?"

I kinda need the database, was hoping someone could help me.

Thanks.

EscherehcsE
Charlie101 wrote:

does anyone know where to find the pgn of these positions? or does anyone know how to extract the pgn from lucas chess?"

I kinda need the database, was hoping someone could help me.

Thanks.

Here's the web site:

(Spanish) https://sites.google.com/site/edusadier/

(English) https://sites.google.com/site/edusadier/theartofdirectmateintwomoves

(Oh, I think it's up to 180,000 positions now. :-))