Forums

En Passant

Sort:
kgwkyle

I just caught up(: Google is a great thing(:

brownieman

I only recently learned about it. it is kind of odd move and I have yet to use it or have it used on me.

kgwkyle

Same. I have not needed to use it yet, and no one has used it on me yet

Caliphigia
Rubidium wrote:

Usually they have something to do with compositions.

Sorry, but in this posisition g7-g6 is not the only legal move. Here's an example:

You need to add a white pawn on e5 to make it work. Like this:
LavaRook

Well the concept of en passant is quite useful

especially in endings (to freeze opposing pawns)--so although the move itself may not be played, the idea is still there.

It also comes up whenever you need to block or stall some pawn move

eg) white playing a4-a5 in the Benoni to prevent b5 and also Black playing h5-h4 in response to h3 to prevent g4 in the Najdorf Sicilian f3 h5 line.

kgwkyle

It would be great in the endgame(:

Chessking47

So a pawn eliminates the pawn with a machine gun, and the enemy King explodes because the pawn was going to run down the board.

AndyClifton

it's a hoax!

kgwkyle

Sounds like the chess board is becoming Nazi Germany lol

AnnaZC
AndyClifton wrote:

it's a hoax!

hoax belongs to my top ten 4-letter words, some of which I try not to type on the public forumsCool

batgirl

" It was brought in because it was felt the two step initial move gave an unfair advantage to the defending pawn. "

More accurately, the rationale behind en-passant is to allow the two-square initial pawn move for the purpose of accelerating the game without having it used simply to avoid a logical capture.  While this rule makes sense, there was great debate among the early 19th century theorists who helped solidify the current rules of chess, and non-en-passant (called "passar bagatalia"), along with free-castling were standard in Russian chess until the mid-century and in Italian chess until late-century.

kgwkyle

Chess does have an interesting history

batgirl

So i've heard.

Bubatz

"[...] along with free-castling were standard in Russian chess until the mid-century and in Italian chess until late-century."

Nothing beats Pam-Krabbé castling, though, which was legal by FIDE rules until 1972. Wink

kgwkyle

There was more than one kind of castleing? That must of stunk to keep track of lol

batgirl
Bubatz wrote:

"[...] along with free-castling were standard in Russian chess until the mid-century and in Italian chess until late-century."

Nothing beats Pam-Krabbé castling, though, which was legal by FIDE rules until 1972.

Yeah, well, that's just weird - historical but not developmental.

TheGrobe

It was always just a theoretical interpretation of the rules, though, and never actually used in a real game, right?

Bubatz

"There was more than one kind of castleing? [...]"

Pam-Krabbé castling was a quirk in the rules. The former wording did not entail that the king and the rook have to be on the same rank. If now White promotes his e-pawn to a rook, and this new rook and his king have not yet moved, and there are no pieces between the new rook on e8 and the king on e1 etc., he could "castle" by moving his king to e3 and the new rook to e2. This was discovered by Max Pam and put into a puzzle by Tim Krabbé. It was even given a notation: 0-0-0-0.

TheGrobe

I would argue that the Rook has moved though -- when it was a pawn.  Is a promoted pawn a different/new peice or an existing peice with a new role?

Bubatz
TheGrobe wrote:

I would argue that the Rook has moved though -- when it was a pawn.  Is a promoted pawn a different/new peice or an existing peice with a new role?

lol, are you a philosopher, TheGrobe?