Forums

Ensuring constant improvement

Sort:
TheRageMage
[COMMENT DELETED]
xtophr1

How do you know if you should do something to rekindle your interest or just drop out?

chessBBQ

The best way to improve is to enjoy the game.If you enjoy openings.Study the openings.If you like endgames,play the endgames.You like playing gambits?But how about their soundness?Nah if you enjoy swashbuckling chess play them.

When the time comes you think you are bored with your routine,try delving into the other aspects of the game.If you were very aggressive before,try playing positional this time.

This method i think is better if you dislike  the idea of studying chess like a robot.

I played piano before and was tutored.But I really disliked the the stiff and robotic routine.I decided I wanted to learn by myself,I enjoyed it better and only when I was satisfied and getting bored with my play I decided to return to the basics my tutor told me.They were not a chore at all because this time I enjoyed them having quenched my thirst of just playing freestyle.

xtophr1

I have yet to enjoy any aspect of chess. I am in that painful learning phase where nothing is enjoyable and nearly every game a loss. There must be more to chess than this.

bigpoison

Nope.  That's about it.  Chess is purely an exercise in humility.

chessBBQ
[COMMENT DELETED]
APawnCanDream
xtophr1 wrote:

I have yet to enjoy any aspect of chess. I am in that painful learning phase where nothing is enjoyable and nearly every game a loss. There must be more to chess than this.

If you don't enjoy something that isn't necessary to do, don't do it. Life is far to short to spend time doing things we don't enjoy.

atarw

It is actually easy to get to 1500, but after that, it is hard. 

chessBBQ

To xtophr 1

The best way to enjoy  chess is to win.When we play a game we may say it's just a board game but we know deep inside we want to come out on top.Nobody wants to be a loser evrytime.It hurts our egos.That's just our nature

Try playing opponents near your strenght.Slighty stronger or slightly weaker than you.Youll win every now and then

If there is a chess club near you,attend them as having friends or rivals for that mater really boosts one's determination to improve

jambyvedar

He stopped improving not only because he is no longer interested in chess, but also because he stop studying chess.