Forums

ethics of an opponent's technology blunder

Sort:
elig5428

Isn't a mistake in denoting a conditional move the same exact thing as a strategy based mistake that occurs regular in live tournaments of every kind?  Since these two mistakes are the same, and since him using the technology to program a conditional move he then takes the onus of responsibility to use it properly, and not whine or expect any artificial recovery if and when its disused.  Like if I was playing in a live tournament, and after a fatal move, I looked at my opponent, told him I made a mistake, and then offered a draw expecting him to make it equal that way?  The two types of mistakes, disusing the technology and erring in a tournament, are mistakes of the same kind. There was no duty to offer a draw, I'd say just take the win, and then maybe offer him choice of color in the next couple games to show good sportsmanship.  

elig5428
[COMMENT DELETED]
elig5428
FooYee wrote:

The question of ethics is what you believe. Is WAR ethical? If you sense you are going to lose, resign!!

William FooYee, great point about world politics, and war in general, good incite, I will challenge you to correspondence chess in a minute. thanks.....

Lige

ChessinBlackandWhite

Anytime there is a technology problem I always offer a draw 

eddysallin
Berder wrote:

Oh, can you see your opponent's conditional moves before you make your own move?

no......that would be like seeing his  future moves in advance!

He had qc4, which is mate in 4, not 8. His blunder, your win. Shake his hand and say he had a bad break and lets play another game----your white.

mateologist

Very Interesting you offered a Draw a full Queen ahead in a Won position because your opponent mistyped his final game winning conditional move(mate), and your opponent respectly declined your kind offer and resigned ! BRAVO a Gentilman's agreement TROPHY'S to the BOTH of you !  Cool

verybadbishop

If the majority told this person not to resign, it indirectly tells the player there is something he might've overlooked.  It functions similar to a "lifeline" in a trivia game show, "let me ask the audience" am I on the right direction, without outright telling the answer.

gaereagdag

You could offer a draw Laughing

ivandh
verybadbishop wrote:

If the majority told this person not to resign, it indirectly tells the player there is something he might've overlooked.  It functions similar to a "lifeline" in a trivia game show, "let me ask the audience" am I on the right direction, without outright telling the answer.

Did you even read the OP?

verybadbishop
ivandh wrote:

Did you even read the OP?

Yes, I was broadening the issue of advice over active games in general, even if it didn't apply to this particular game, which had good sportsmanship intentions between both players. 

Good sportsmanship affords exceptions to the rules, and so I'd have to agree with others on this one.  We shouldn't forget the spirit of the rules, and not blindly cite or enforce it.

ivandh

I agree with that, it is just a game and if the OP wants to avoid being unsporting, all the best.

elig5428

Well back in the 1600s the both of them would have just settled this preposterous quarrel with a duel, and in my view that would have been as equally okay.

gaereagdag

Then: a duel with pistols

Now: a duel with World of Warcraft for a level 50 wizard with extra DLC Laughing

205thsq

dude i mouse slip all the time and get nothing but mocked from my opponents, no quarter is given to me hense i give no quarter, and have been known to get 3 queens and under promote pieces to people who refuse to resign... making me think thru not letting someone stalemate pisses me off!

elig5428
linuxblue1 wrote:

Then: a duel with pistols

Now: a duel with World of Warcraft for a level 50 wizard with extra DLC

yeah, but none of that fake dungeons and dragons sh!@#, I'd prefer to old style dueling with pistol.

chessmaster102

dispite what others are saying i would accept the loss. If you have to ask this then you know how dishonorable it is to win that way. Dont mean to get all moral on you but its only right its like me claiming a win agains someone cause there flag just fell on there clock even though it was mate in 2 for the other guy.Alot of people seem to forget that chess IS A GENTLEMENS GAME the folks saying to take the win are those who value there rating more than the spirit of the game.

LoekBergman

I would not like it either to win that way. It reminded me about a loss I had, after I had first overwhelmed my opponent completely. He could not believe it, that I had overlooked that final test of his after he did not see all of mine. Off course, I regretted the loss and still remember it, but I remember it mainly because I never had an opponent more disbalanced about a loss of me than I was myself.

Your opponent might regret his move, but will remember your chivalry and returned it. Beautiful.

What would you do in his place? How would you think when you get an offer for a draw after you first announce a mate in 8 and then blundering your advantage away? Would you think that you still deserve that draw? Would you considerate it appropriate? Or would you think that it is more appropriate to lose the game? You know the answer of your opponent, because he resigned. I agree with him and would take the win. It is a game after all.

Ziryab
skleerbracht wrote:

This wasn't a bad but intentional move, it was dropping the piece on the wrong square by accident.

If not for such accidents, I would never lose at bullet.

deess

As the player who made the blunder, I did not want the win. the loss was most deserved.

Commenters should understand the conditional blunder was more than a slip of the wrist. I foolishly tried to build all the possible variations within a mate in 8 as conditionals. For what I thought were less likely moves I did not pay adequate attention in editing. The main lines were edited with care. It appears that my opponent decided to end the game faster than necessary and therefore followed one of the least likely conditionals--to ultimate victory!  

Lesson, don't show off by building complex conditionals.

Pride precedeth the fall!

macer75
deess wrote:

As the player who made the blunder, I did not want the win. the loss was most deserved.

Commenters should understand the conditional blunder was more than a slip of the wrist. I foolishly tried to build all the possible variations within a mate in 8 as conditionals. For what I thought were less likely moves I did not pay adequate attention in editing. The main lines were edited with care. It appears that my opponent decided to end the game faster than necessary and therefore followed one of the least likely conditionals--to ultimate victory!  

Lesson, don't show off by building complex conditionals.

Pride precedeth the fall!

lol you dug up this thread after 6 months?