Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

ethics of an opponent's technology blunder

• 22 months ago · Quote · #41

LoekBergman

I would not like it either to win that way. It reminded me about a loss I had, after I had first overwhelmed my opponent completely. He could not believe it, that I had overlooked that final test of his after he did not see all of mine. Off course, I regretted the loss and still remember it, but I remember it mainly because I never had an opponent more disbalanced about a loss of me than I was myself.

Your opponent might regret his move, but will remember your chivalry and returned it. Beautiful.

What would you do in his place? How would you think when you get an offer for a draw after you first announce a mate in 8 and then blundering your advantage away? Would you think that you still deserve that draw? Would you considerate it appropriate? Or would you think that it is more appropriate to lose the game? You know the answer of your opponent, because he resigned. I agree with him and would take the win. It is a game after all.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #42

Ziryab

skleerbracht wrote:

This wasn't a bad but intentional move, it was dropping the piece on the wrong square by accident.

If not for such accidents, I would never lose at bullet.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #43

deess

As the player who made the blunder, I did not want the win. the loss was most deserved.

Commenters should understand the conditional blunder was more than a slip of the wrist. I foolishly tried to build all the possible variations within a mate in 8 as conditionals. For what I thought were less likely moves I did not pay adequate attention in editing. The main lines were edited with care. It appears that my opponent decided to end the game faster than necessary and therefore followed one of the least likely conditionals--to ultimate victory!  

Lesson, don't show off by building complex conditionals.

Pride precedeth the fall!

• 15 months ago · Quote · #44

macer75

deess wrote:

As the player who made the blunder, I did not want the win. the loss was most deserved.

Commenters should understand the conditional blunder was more than a slip of the wrist. I foolishly tried to build all the possible variations within a mate in 8 as conditionals. For what I thought were less likely moves I did not pay adequate attention in editing. The main lines were edited with care. It appears that my opponent decided to end the game faster than necessary and therefore followed one of the least likely conditionals--to ultimate victory!  

Lesson, don't show off by building complex conditionals.

lol you dug up this thread after 6 months?

• 15 months ago · Quote · #45

owltuna

deess wrote:

Commenters should understand the conditional blunder was more than a slip of the wrist....

Thanks for following up on that, your perspective is much appreciated.

Post your reply: