Forums

FIDE Rating; Can Any Player Explain How to Qualify for Each Category .

Sort:
ryandeering
kamalakanta wrote:

I am not paying anyone to tell me what I already know. My highest rating was 2240 (in 1975-76)....

No need for "official" titles. Why should I pay for something like that? Makes no sense to me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            How much does it cost to get the title?

Martin_Stahl

My understanding is that the USCF pays the title fees for US affiliated players. Other countries may be different but the FIDE website publishes a list of the fees.

https://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=3&view=category

mkkuhner

USCF does not pay your title fees for the WCM title (I don't know about any of the others):  instead they take your money and pass it on to FIDE.  When I did this the fee was fifty euros.  I admit that the free premium membership here was part of my decision.

I do not think that the rating-based titles (CM, FM, WCM, WFM) are particularly important or significant.  Locally more attention is paid to reaching USCF master (USCF 2200) than FM, even though FM is probably harder. There's little doubt these titles exist in part to provide money for FIDE.  You'll have to make up your own mind whether that money is well spent.

IM and GM are a different story because of the "norm" requirements to earn them.  Holding a rating-based title says nothing beyond the rating.  Holding IM or GM says you had at least three excellent events vs. strong international opposition.

Martin_Stahl

Ah, for some reason I thought they did.