Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
Kittysafe
Listening to Kasparov talk, the man had huge ego, perhaps that often goes with chess, but he also trained very hard, the man was truly dedicated and used every resource at his disposal to win. Kasparov though is still a likable fellow, relateable even.
SSdexter

in my opinion fishcer was probably more talanted due to him doing it all by himself and not having the help that the soviets did. but however kasparov would have probably beat fischer due to the fact that he was raised with much more chess resources such as teachers training partners. but let us remember its fischers fault the never played it wasnt kasparov that was avoided tournaments and spending most of his ime ranting about jews and americans. not taking anything away from fischer it was not right him being banished from him country but its not like the biggest tournements were in the US. he loved to say he's the best but you gotta back a claim like that up kasparov was fischer wasnt. plus when fischer came back after the first disapperance he played spassky and wanted it to be called the world champinship match and spassky wasnt the champ come on fischer that be like holyfield coming back and fighting foreman and saying he's the best. yes he beat spassky but so would kasparov and karprov so fischer didnt prove anything. bottom line fischer avoided kasparov not the other way around, whether intentional or not its what happened so kasparov deserves the title BOTTOM LINE. who agrees with me? and if not whats your counter arguement besides the fact that kasparov had more help which isnt the question the question is whos the stronger player

Kittysafe
first of all Fischer was not banished from his country, The USA had sanctions against economic activities in Yugoslavia at the time, so a warrant was put out for Fischer for going anyway.
SSdexter

so what your saying is he was not able to go back to his country without being arrested. thats what i call banished lol

Kittysafe
Maybe they wouldn't have been such hard asses if Fischer hadn't stirred you so much shit.
Kittysafe
It's America, that's what we do.
Cry_Wolf
theoreticalboy wrote:
Cry_Wolf wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:
Cry_Wolf wrote:
Plus, you throw in the fact that Fischer's IQ was about 40 points higher, and at least for me, I'm convinced that Fischer was considerably better.

lol

Indeed, when you quote someone out of context it can be funny.

How on earth is that out of context?  He left in the "plus."

Because the "Plus" is adding on to something that was said before... something that he left out. Even full sentence quotes can be out of context.

theoreticalboy

But then it's obvious that it was an addition to an earlier comment, so people can know to look at what you said and see if it adds to the quoted segment.  It doesn't.

Cry_Wolf

Yes, people are definately going to put that effort in. I don't know if you're familiar with the phrase "out of context", but it exists for a reason.

Arctor

The fact is that it's a silly comment even when in context

Kittysafe

Being out of context was irrelevant, what mattered here is the ridiculousness of the statement being quoted. 

PeterHyatt
vknyus wrote:

I once flew from Moscow, (Russia) to JFK, New York. Kasparov was in the same plane, but in the First Class. After the flight, I approached him and shook his hand. For me as a chess player, it was a great moment. I've read all the posts above. Everybody is right (and wrong at the same time). Discussion by itself is very interesting - both are geniouses. And the reason why the author picked those two in particular to compare is because - both of them are extraodinary not just players, but also human beings. I will not express my opinion on the topic. I am too amateur to do this. Thanks.

I agree if only as a New York Ranger fan banished to New England!  :)

This is a fascinating discussion.  I am fans of both Fischer and Kasparov.  I don't feel the need to apologize for being a Fischer fan of his chess. 

Question #1    Had Fischer not pulled out of tournament play and had been focused upon chess and not conditions, how much would have changed?  How early would he have been champion and for how long might he have held it?

Question #2    Given Kasparov's age and retirement:

If he came out of retirement and dove in to study and play, could he once again challenge for the championship?  Is he that good to pull this off as he approaches 50 years of age?

Question #3  Off topic:  With Kasparov's tutoring, does Magnus Carlsen appear poised to become world champion in 2015 (or whenver the next cycle comes) or beyond?  

fabelhaft
Steve212000 wrote:

Considering that Fischer accomplished so much while enduring such devistating

mental illness,I think he was also a great man.

I wonder if things didn't deteriorate with him in the 1970s though, even if he had some strange opinions before that he just seemed like a rather immature person. Not too different from many other chess players.

Cry_Wolf
Arctor wrote:

Who taught you what a fact is?

Arctor
Cry_Wolf wrote:
Arctor wrote:

Who taught you what a fact is?

Ok, tell us. How does Fischer (supposedly) having a higher IQ suggest he was the better chess player?

Kittysafe

"Plus, you throw in the fact that Fischer's IQ was about 40 points higher, and at least for me, I'm convinced that Fischer was considerably better."

Here it is suggested that IQ was used as part of a determinant that Fischer was a better player.  Stop arguing about it, it was a stupid thing to say, now own it, and move on.

Cry_Wolf

It was absolutely NOT a stupid thing to say, and I was quoted out of context... again.

As I've already explained, Fischer studied more AND had a higher IQ. The higher IQ would suggest that he retained information more easily, and therefore he probably learned more.

RoyEvan23

That brings up an interesting point. Do grandmasters have a higher IQ than regular chess players? Are there any High rated chess players who have a normal IQ? I believe average noraml IQs are around 85-114. 

checkmateibeatu
[COMMENT DELETED]
TheGrobe
checkmateibeatu wrote:
Please stop with this Fischer vs Kasparov stuff, it's getting ridiculous after a while (except when I do it).

Now where have I heard this sentiment before...?