Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
nameno1had
TheGrobe wrote:
theoreticalboy wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
I see the Grobe didn't feel so threatened by it...

I think he's too busy laughing to type.

He continually misses the point, so I no longer see the point.

nameno1had, if you've thought about something more than anyone else here has it's probably just because you're so... damned... slooow....

It's actually because the world is full of people like you...

corrijean
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

bigpoison wrote:

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Right, but does not the farmer receive money for growing food? Does not the slaughterhouse receive money for providing meat? Do not the truckers who bring the food to the grocery store receive money for their labor? Do you think the farmer grows food without being compensated with money? Do workers in the slaughterhouse work for free? Do the truckers not get paid for bringing food to the grocery store?

Sure, that's one way.  However, there are much more traditional ways of putting meat in the pan.  Ways that require knowledge and skill, but not money.

Do you make your own rifle, bullets, bow and arrows, frying pan? Or do you need money for those things? Let me guess: You chase the deer on foot, strangle it with your bare hands, use a sharp rock to cut it up and place the meat on another rock so it can be cooked by the sun. Got it!

How are you going to survive the zombie apocalypse if you don't even know how to make a bow and arrow?

TheGrobe

Chesspool,

You didn't just say money was necessary for today's life, but that it was the most important thing. Necessity only came into play when it was suggested that not only was it not in the top 10most important things (bigpoison), but that it may well not even be a necessity (myself, among others). In fact, all that was necessary to demonstrate this was to find a single counterexample, say a lost tribe, and your entire argument unravels.

The fact that you then go on to chide me for finding such a counterexample and reframe your initial claim so as to soften it seems to indicate that you either have no ability to maintain a cohesive train of thought, or no ability to admit when you may have overstated something and in fact been wrong. I'm going to give you enough credit to lean towards the latter explanation.

TheGrobe

Zombies are another great example of the ability to lead a fulfilled life without money.

corrijean

They just want brains.

TheGrobe

Except the vegetarian ones:

Graaaaaaains....

nameno1had
TheGrobe wrote:

Chesspool,

You didn't just say money was necessary for today's life, but that it was the most important thing. Necessity only came into play when it was suggested that not only was it not in the top 10most important things (bigpoison), but that it may well not even be a necessity (myself, among others). In fact, all that was necessary to demonstrate this was to find a single counterexample, say a lost tribe, and your entire argument unravels.

The fact that you then go on to chide me for finding such a counterexample and reframe your initial claim so as to soften it seems to indicate that you either have no ability to maintain a cohesive train of thought, or no ability to admit when you may have overstated something and in fact been wrong. I'm going to give you enough credit to lean towards the latter explanation.

Not that you probably care anymore or want to hear it from me...living without money is far easier for some to succeed at, than it is for others to even attempt to do...

when the homeless shelters are full, you are either loitering or tresspassing...they are both illegal...I think it was missed where the Hippo was coming from...it's obvious that the  theorizer boy missed it...

chesspooljuly13

Never said money was the most important thing. Cite the quote where I did.

I said the search for truth was the most important thing. You then listed around 20 or so (didn't bother to count) of life's necessities that were more important. I then pointed out that if one's profession were the search for truth, as many are, that would provide money to pay for everything you cited. You and/or others then made the patently absurd claim that one could live a fulfilling life without money (that was the extreme statement, not mine) and we debated the possibility of that.

Again, quote where I said money was the most important thing. I don't believe that so am curious how you arrived at that conclusion.

nutsack then chimed in, as he is wont to do, with a comment that reinforced the bigger point (I.e. the search for a truth being, in my mind, secondary to the search for the truth.)

This recap brought to you by Geico

corrijean
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

How does one get everything you listed? Money, right? Money pays for food, shelter, health care, water, sleep, indoor plumbing, security, the likelihood of finding a spouse, etc., etc.

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Society can't take care of you, me or anyone without money. Like it or not, money is needed. Someone can be unemployed and get by uncomfortably without earning money but the money that provides him/her with food, shelter, water, indoor plumbing, etc. comes to him or her through the work of someone else.

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

So you think food, shelter, indoor plumbing..everything on your list...comes about by what?

Fact is, if you want a roof over your head, food in your stomach, etc., etc., it requires money. You may not have to earn it, but someone has to. That's just common sense. So, if someone finds themselves in that situation, they should thank the truth seekers who are earning the money that is then redistributed to them through government.

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Yes, and without money, what kind of society would there be? Are you heading toward a barter economy, where money is replaced by people trading services?

corrijean
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

@TheGrobe: So you don't need or use money for anything? Congratulations. That is very impressive. But you're the exception, not the rule

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Right, but does not the farmer receive money for growing food? Does not the slaughterhouse receive money for providing meat? Do not the truckers who bring the food to the grocery store receive money for their labor? Do you think the farmer grows food without being compensated with money? Do workers in the slaughterhouse work for free? Do the truckers not get paid for bringing food to the grocery store?

corrijean

Just a few examples. I think we got that idea because you talk about it so much.

Do you explicitly say, "Money is the most important thing?"

No.

Do you implicitly say it is the most important thing by arguing that all things in our society and even our very survival are brought about by money?

Yes.

chesspooljuly13

Great examples corrijean but nowhere in any of them do I say money is the most important thing. I'm simply saying that money is the byproduct of the most important thing and covers/pays for the 20 or so things that were cited as more important than the search for the truth. Some of the latter comments pertained to refuting the absurd notion that money was not necessary in today's world to live a fulfilling life - I'm, again, not talking about a lot of money, but some money. It's important to restate this because of the poster who claimed I was "greedy" for saying money is necessary. Din't confuse the byproduct or result of something with being greater than its source.

I commend you for re-reading all those posts, though. You're a better gal than I

chesspooljuly13

*Don't* not *Din't*

chesspooljuly13

Let me explain using a real-life example.

You're aware, I'm sure, of the folks looking for the Higg's Boson, which, if found, would give us a better idea of the nature of the universe (search for truth.)

Those fellows and gals doing that work are being paid money.

But is the byproduct of their work (money) more important than the work itself?

No! Each one of them could get a job in another field, let's say selling used cars. They're still making money but are no longer involved in a search for the truth.

Let's say each one of them was told they could make the same amount of money selling used cars as they do searching for the Higg's Boson (apologies if misspelled; I'm doing it from memory and too lazy to Google.)

Would any of them say, "I'm abandoning my important work so I can make the same amount of money selling used cars."

I doubt it. To them, the search for truth is more important than money - money is a byproduct of the most important thing, not the most important thing.

corrijean
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Great examples corrijean but nowhere in any of them do I say money is the most important thing. I'm simply saying that money is the byproduct of the most important thing and covers/pays for the 20 or so things that were cited as more important than the search for the truth. Some of the latter comments pertained to refuting the absurd notion that money was not necessary in today's world to live a fulfilling life - I'm, again, not talking about a lot of money, but some money. It's important to restate this because of the poster who claimed I was "greedy" for saying money is necessary. Din't confuse the byproduct or result of something with being greater than its source.

I commend you for re-reading all those posts, though. You're a better gal than I

That's just a semantic cop out.

You stated over and over that we can't live without it and talked at great length about its paramount importance to our lives.

And your money comes through working for truth line doesn't make much sense, either. There are plenty of really crooked people who make a lot more money than any of us.

chesspooljuly13

Money only took on a prominent role in this thread when a poster declared that he could live a fulfilling life without it - not that he could live a fulfilling life with relatively little money, but without it (which I took to mean without so much as a penny...convert to currency of your choice.)

corrijean

Tap dancing.

chesspooljuly13

You're still confusing the most important thing with a byproduct of it.

And, again, money is necessary to survive (a much lower standard of living than having a fulfilling life) but it comes about and comes into one's possession through the most important thing.

chesspooljuly13

Can't refute what I said? Sleep on it; let those neurons do their thing. Maybe you'll think of something in the morning

chesspooljuly13

I, though, likely will have reverted back to Proverbs 23:9. Should have stayed there; The Good Book knows best

This forum topic has been locked