Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
netzach

Well don't know where you draw those conclusions from.

He '' encouraged '' lot's of American's to take up the game sure & camapaigned worldwide for financial recognition for professional-chess players.

Yet my understanding was the USCF annoyed at him also at the time for not defending his US title ?

(In any case USCF has no great importance except for Americans...)

I think the US should make a gesture for the sake of chess & integrity & re-instate his citizenship posthumously.

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

He '' encouraged '' lot's of American's to take up the game sure & camapaigned worldwide for financial recognition for professional-chess players.

Yet my understanding was the USCF annoyed at him also at the time for not defending his US title ?

I think the US should make a gesture for the sake of chess & integrity & re-instate his citizenship posthumously.

If you were wondering where my conclusions came from, I was referring to the 5 million dollar prize Fischer was denied by the US, due to the sanction laws at the time he played his rematch with Spassky. I was also referring to the mockery and laughter of the Soviet chess machine specifically, at our attempts to compete with them on the world stage, until Fischer came along.

ilikeflags

every post richard comes up with is worse than the one before.  or in his case worst...

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:

every post richard comes up with is worse than the one before.  or in his case worst...

Would you rather they all be the same? Anything for you ...

netzach
nameno1had wrote:
netzach wrote:

If you were wondering where my conclusions came from, I was referring to the 5 million dollar prize Fischer was denied by the US, due to the sanction laws at the time he played his rematch with Spassky. I was also referring to the mockery and laughter of the Soviet chess machine specifically, at our attempts to compete with them on the world stage, until Fischer came along.

Okay but was this '' mockery & laughter '' real ? You have evidence of that ?? Or was it simply the paranoia & politics of the time. Certainly is well-documented that Spassky treated Fischer repectfully & with good-manners in Iceland yet he barely received that in return. Though always '' chess '' was respected. The rest is just gamesmanship & propoganda.

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:

Did I ever tell you my real middle name isn't Richard? You really shouldn't be so gullible Flagsy...

nameno1had
netzach wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
netzach wrote:

Okay but was this '' mockery & laughter '' real ? You have evidence of that ?? Or was it simply the paranoia & politics of the time. Certainly is well-documented that Spassky treated Fischer repectfully in Iceland & he barely gave that in return. Though always '' chess '' was respected. The rest is just gamesmanship & propoganda.

Knowing the Soviet pride, it stands to reason they scoffed, laughed and enjoyed the US being lesser in chess.

I have a few rhetorical question for you...

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make any sound? Did you need to hear it, in order to say you knew if certainly made sound ? Does one necessarily need to be an eye witness to know the truth about something?

One of the reasons the Soviets chose to make chess such an important part of their society, was to encourage their people to use their brains. They decided they would need to be as educated and intelligent as possible to give them the best chance, to be the greatest nation on Earth. They wanted to be the dominant world super power. It is precisely why the chose to compete with the USA in everyway so shrewdly. They were trying to out do their cheif competition. Were you not born yet during the cold war? Maybe that explains it...

As an american citizen, I can certainly say I have heard derogatory things said by american citizens about the Soviets, that included mockery and laughter. Do you really expect me to believe it was never reciprocated, simply because I never heard it with my own ears? How stupid do you think I am?

netzach

But you don't '' know '' do you. Hence you are conjecturing & proffering opinion that is factually wrong..

Your speech above is overtly-political for this forum so cannot discuuss this here with you.

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

But you don't '' know '' do you so you are conjecturing & proffering opinion that is factually wrong..

Is a scientist wrong if he has a theory or a hypothesis? Just because someone doesn't witness an event first hand, doesn't mean they don't know the truth. If you really believe that gibberish your spouting, you need to get out more and see if you own opinions are true or not...do you have any tangible proof to the contrary to what I am saying or just your own thoeries and conjectures...if not piss off dude...

chesspooljuly13

Fischer wouldn't want to be granted U.S. citizenship posthumously. He hated the U.S. Doing that would only disrespect his wishes. And I doubt there'd be a groundswell of support for the idea given Fischer's despicable comments after 9/11

netzach

Irrelevant.

Your speech also overtly-political...

netzach
nameno1had wrote:
netzach wrote:

But you don't '' know '' do you so you are conjecturing & proffering opinion that is factually wrong..

Is a scientist wrong if he has a theory or a hypothesis? Just because someone doesn't witness an event first hand, doesn't mean they don't know the truth. If you really believe that gibberish your spouting, you need to get out more and see if you own opinions are true or not...do you have any tangible proof to the contrary to what I am saying or just your own thoeries and conjectures...if not piss off dude...

chesspooljuly13

How is that irrelevant (if your post was directed at me?) You're advocating for something Fischet (and probably most Americans) wouldn't want.

netzach
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

How is that irrelevant (if your post was directed at me?) You're advocating for something Fischet (and probably most Americans) wouldn't want.

chesspooljuly13

I think you haven't captured how the quote function is supposed to work lol

netzach
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

I think you haven't captured how the quote function is supposed to work lol

Am aware of it's function thank you yet under no oblgation to speak with anyone being personally abusive. Let's try again to eplain what I say with  2 questions for you :

• Was Bobby Fischer an American world-chess-champion ?
  • Was he then considered an American national/citizen ?
chesspooljuly13

How is it being "personally abusive" to say Fischer wouldn't want American citizenship granted posthumously because he hated America and most Anericans probably wouldn't want that either because of his comments after 9/11.

I don't see how that's a "personally abusive" comment, but whatever

chesspooljuly13

The answer to both your questions is Yes. At the time he won the WCC he was an American.

chesspooljuly13

There's a difference. People who get away with crimes by pleading insanity were evaluated to be insane by a qualified mental health professional. Fischer's "insanity" is open to debate; as far as I know, no one qualified to make that diagnosis has labeled him as such. You don't have to be insane to be an anti-Semite and say offensive and cruel things

chesspooljuly13

I'm not saying he was responsible, but you have to be a world-class a**hole to cheer the deaths of 3,000 people within a day or two of it happening.

This forum topic has been locked