Fischer vs. Kasparov

• 2 years ago · #841

chesspooljuly13

I think you haven't captured how the quote function is supposed to work lol

• 2 years ago · #842

netzach

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

I think you haven't captured how the quote function is supposed to work lol

Am aware of it's function thank you yet under no oblgation to speak with anyone being personally abusive. Let's try again to eplain what I say with  2 questions for you :

• Was Bobby Fischer an American world-chess-champion ?
    • Was he then considered an American national/citizen ?
  • 2 years ago · #843

chesspooljuly13

How is it being "personally abusive" to say Fischer wouldn't want American citizenship granted posthumously because he hated America and most Anericans probably wouldn't want that either because of his comments after 9/11.

I don't see how that's a "personally abusive" comment, but whatever

• 2 years ago · #844

chesspooljuly13

The answer to both your questions is Yes. At the time he won the WCC he was an American.

• 2 years ago · #845

chesspooljuly13

There's a difference. People who get away with crimes by pleading insanity were evaluated to be insane by a qualified mental health professional. Fischer's "insanity" is open to debate; as far as I know, no one qualified to make that diagnosis has labeled him as such. You don't have to be insane to be an anti-Semite and say offensive and cruel things

• 2 years ago · #846

AnthonyCG

All the Fischer threads get here at one point or another...

• 2 years ago · #847

chesspooljuly13

I'm not saying he was responsible, but you have to be a world-class a**hole to cheer the deaths of 3,000 people within a day or two of it happening.

• 2 years ago · #848

chesspooljuly13

If a drunk driver killed one of your relatives and some idiot started cheering and applauding what happened, that idiot's not responsible for that death. But he's still a world-class a**hole - as Fischer was late in his life.

• 2 years ago · #849

netzach

I'm talking of events concerning chess & B. Fischer that took place in the 1970's for goodness sake ! Not transposing that to any political furore in the future over anything else. I speak of historical events then that resulted in his citizenship being withdrawn at that time. Is that is any way to treat one of your own countrymen ?

When America disowned him back then the events you are mouthing off about hadn't even happened. That is why I said '' irrelevant '' ?

• 2 years ago · #850

chesspooljuly13

But granting him posthumous citizenship is something that (obviously) would have to take place today, and, as I've said, that's something Fischer nor most Americans would want. So why are you continuing to beat that drum?! The two parties most affected don't want it, so why not just drop it?

• 2 years ago · #851

netzach

Didn't realise you had the authority to speak for the entire US populace that sounds like megalomania ?

Sure he was mentally-ill, extremist & racist but he was never anti-american until after his country treated him badly. You would likely feel the same if it had happened to you.

[edit] 90's or whatever is still over 20 years ago & before other events.

• 2 years ago · #852

chesspooljuly13

Besides, Fischer's citizenship wasn't revoked in the 1970s; that happened in the 1990s after he violated sanctions by playing his rematch with Spassky!

• 2 years ago · #853

chesspooljuly13

Take a poll of the U.S. populace and see for yourself. I certainly know the U.S. populace better than you. Irregardless, I said "most" - as in a majority - so I'm clearly not referring to the entire U.S. populace

• 2 years ago · #854

chesspooljuly13

You accuse me of megalomania right after you falsely accuse me of being "personally abusive." You're a riot, netzach! LOL!

• 2 years ago · #855

chesspooljuly13

Hate to burst your bubble, but Fischer's U.S. passport wasn't revoked until 2003 and it was Fischer who renounced his U.S. citizenship - not the other way around, according to Wikipedia.

Fischer got in trouble with the U.S. by playing the Spassky rematch in Yugoslavia in violation of U.N. (not U.S.) sanctions, though the sanctions were obviously supported by the U.S. Fischer could have made millions by playing somewhere else but chose not to. The reason he never returned to the U.S. is he faced a fine/jail time by playing the match in Yugoslavia.

Fischer's citizenship, according to Wikipedia, was never revoked by the U.S. As recently as the early 2000s, Fischer said HE wanted to revoke his citizenship.

I realize all this doesn't mesh with your America-bashing agenda, netzach. Better luck next time lol

• 2 years ago · #856

uziboy

fischer

• 2 years ago · #857

mikey2677

Fischer did lose his citizenship, and that was his choice. Also, don't believe everything you read on wikipedia, anyone can post something as fact on it. Also I truly believe that Kasparov would win the match.

• 2 years ago · #858

mikey2677

When Fischer became a citizen of the country he moved to, I forget what the name of that country was, he renounced his US citizenship, and was no longer a US citizen. We didn't want him here anyway after the way he spoke about americans, and jewish people as a whole, which I find ironic being that he was Jewish. He was severely mentally ill, and the world is better off without him. Rest in agony bobby fischer

• 2 years ago · #859

netzach

if he was American & America claim him as their son he should remain American for life whatever the politics involved are. 

I wasn't '' bashing-america lol '' as you would put it. I am highlighting what many see as poor treatment of him by his country...

Almost all of what you cite in justification happened after he was ill & alienated from America so partly caused by that.

• 2 years ago · #860

mikey2677

As an american, when you declare allegiance to another country, unless you are a dual citizen of 2 countries, you lose your us citizenship. He also ran away from charges that he faced in the states. I also believe that he was a spy, and was actually a double agent giving away american intelligence to foreign powers. but that is just opinion. He was treated poorly after his even worse treatment of a nation that prized him, and would have done anything for him. Good riddance

This forum topic has been locked.