Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
mikey2677

I also would like to know how America treated him poorly, our entire country was enraptured with him. He was a superstar, and was a national hero.

OldHastonian
[COMMENT DELETED]
chesspooljuly13

Ah, the sound of crickets chirping lol

netzach
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Yes, Fischer lost his citizenship by his choice after accepting Icelandic citizenship.

And the reasons Fischer's passport was revoked (the Spassky rematch in Yugoslavia in violation of U.N. sanctions) has been well-documented elsewhere.

I actually erroneously thought that Fischer's citizenship had been revoked by the U.S., but that was Fischer's choice, which made sense given the fine and jail time he faced if he returned to the U.S.

The main point is Fischer didn't have to play that match in Yugoslavia. He could have made a ton of money playing it anywhere because so many people wanted to see him play again after his 20-year absence from chess.

It's also documented that Fischer's reaction to the U.S. Treasury Department's letter urging him not to play the match was to spit on it and tear it up, an unnecessarily provocative act.

The U.S. didn't prevent Fischer from playing chess from 1972 to 1992. That was Fischet's choice. Just as it was his choice to finally play again in a country with U.N. sanctions against it.

To read netzach's posts, you'd think Fischer was a helpless victim of the U.S. government. But netzach's agenda isn't really Fischer. Anyone who reads his posts with an objective eye can see he's simply using Fischer to bash a country he doesn't like

Fischer was American though correct ?

Then American he should have remained.

mikey2677

We told him not to play at that tournament because their were embargo's against that country for a war that was underway. he thumbed his nose at us, and did it anyway. i would have faced prison time if I did the same thing. He hated his home country, and we hated him in the end too!!!

mikey2677

He could have remained American. All he had to do was be a man and come home and face punishment.

chesspooljuly13

I'm still waiting to hear netzach cite what America did that was so terrible to Fischer.

If facing a fine and jail time by deliberately violating U.N. sanctions is all he's got - the same penalty any other American would face - he's got nothing

mikey2677

But instead he ran away like a little kid who takes their ball and goes home when they get beat on the playground. When you break a law, you face punishment. He ran from that punishment, and chose to renounce his citizenship. We did not denounce him, he recounced us. Get your facts straight reznac

mikey2677

or netzach i mean

netzach
mikey2677 wrote:

We told him not to play at that tournament because their were embargo's against that country for a war that was underway. he thumbed his nose at us, and did it anyway. i would have faced prison time if I did the same thing. He hated his home country, and we hated him in the end too!!!

Well okay & perhaps I rest my case but you shouldn't have disowned him & sanctions do not always prove to be justified as we have witnessed countless times over the last few decades...

chesspooljuly13

We don't have walls up around this country, netzach. If Fischer wanted to renounce his citizenship, why are you bi***ing about that to us. Should we have begged and pleaded with him to come back to America? Is not doing that what we're guilty of?

corrijean

An adjustment to thinking  might be in order since these forums are a lot more international than facebook. You need a more cosmopolite outlook here.

Netzach isn't anti-American.

These Fischer discussions almost always end up devolving into silly political arguments. Looks like this one is headed in the same direction.

chesspooljuly13

Fischer disowned the U.S. - not the other way around. In America, the law is supposed to apply equally to all. Fischer didn't have to play that match in Yugoslavia - it's not like he robbed a store to feed his family. He could have made a lot of money playing that match anywhere.

netzach
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

We don't have walls up around this country, netzach. If Fischer wanted to renounce his citizenship, why are you bi***ing about that to us. Should we have begged and pleaded with him to come back to America? Is that what we're guilty of?

I have spoke of this many times because I care about how I perceived he was treated. I did not choose to politiscise it you did. Even choosing to drag 911 & everything else in ?

Just because I express dissatisfaction or miscomprehension about this I do not see why that makes me anti-american. Are you so touchy you cannot debate without pidgeonholing in such a fashion ??

chesspooljuly13

Netzach's been bashing America for its poor treatment of Fischer without a shred of evidence or any explanation of what this poor treatment consisted of. So I respectfully disagree with your conclusion that netzach isn't an America basher.

As to your other point, when the discussion turns to Fischer and a poster starts bashing America for its treatment of him, it's only natural that America will become the dominant point of discussion

ilikeflags

irregardless.  haha.  don'tcha know how the scots like to eat americans?  play ball!

sapientdust
mikey2677 wrote:

I also believe that he was a spy, and was actually a double agent giving away american intelligence to foreign powers. but that is just opinion.

Do you have any evidence of that?

ilikeflags
sapientdust wrote:
mikey2677 wrote:

I also believe that he was a spy, and was actually a double agent giving away american intelligence to foreign powers. but that is just opinion.

Do you have any evidence of that?

i do. 

netzach
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Netzach's been bashing America for its poor treatment of Fischer without a shred of evidence or any explanation of what this poor treatment consisted of. So I respectfully disagree with your conclusion that netzach isn't an America basher.

As to your other point, when the discussion turns to Fischer and a poster starts bashing America for its treatment of him, it's only natural that America will become the dominant point of discussion

And maybe I continue to do just that until America is big enough to accept Fischer was their son & citizen warts & all so should not be disowned.

corrijean
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

You are wrong about netzach. You see the world from a very narrow viewpoint. You haven't been around here long at all, so you might want to listen to people who have been here for a while.

This forum topic has been locked