Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
zborg

You're onto something regarding "indoor plumbing."

Most folks in the U.S. didn't have it at the start of the 20th century.  More than a billion people on the planet still don't.

Average longevity for the U.S. was about 40 years, starting around 1900.

bigpoison

He carries all his money in a diamond studded jar:

nameno1had
bigpoison wrote:

Greed is the most disgusting and harmful human attribute.  It's pervasive and insidious as is so well evidenced by chesspoo's worldview.

I recognize that it is not the young man's fault, but still find it loathsome.

Greed is certainly a big reason I appreciate private property. Having as much protection as necessary from roving bands or murdering, rapist thieves always has appeal for me.

zborg
ilikeflags wrote:

i wish chess.com had an expert on THE truth AND the modern western economy.

Laughing  This thread is rappidly reaching escape velocity.  We will soon be leaving Earth's atmosphere.  If only @Trysts were here.  She would sort it all out.  

bigpoison

Again with the sanguine attitude.

I like it much better when you post cool songs.

chesspooljuly13

Who said anything about greed? All I said is money is necessary. I didn't say $1 million was necessary. I was responding to your absurd view that you could live a fruitful and fulfilling life without money, such a ridiculous comment that it deserved the scorn heaped upon it. I never said a lot of money was necessary to survive or even live well. But some money is necessary. Stop trying to insult me because I blew your absurd argument out of the water.

bigpoison

The best argument for greed is innovation. 

That one's tough to refute.

bigpoison

Which absurd argument of mine was that, exactly?  The one where I said "the search for truth" isn't in the top 20  in importance?

This argument you claim I made must be your imagination.

nameno1had
bigpoison wrote:

The best argument for greed is innovation. 

That one's tough to refute.

I think about that when I consider whether there should be more governmental regulations on private business or less, for the sake of society...it reminds me a joke I heard once about a guy in a round room

chesspooljuly13

Proverbs 23:9 is why I'm leaving this thread.

Go on believing what you want; knock yourselves out.

theoreticalboy
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Wow. You don't have to pay for medical insurance? You don't have co-pays when you go to the doctor? You mean, doctors take care of your illnesses for nothing? Wow. Where do you live? Sign me up!

Again, your parochialism is astounding.  Just give it a few minute's thought, maybe?  It shouldn't take all that long (you might want to ponder the meaning of the term I'm using first of all).

chesspooljuly13

And if your reading comprehension level and/or memory were where they should be, you'd know that "the search for truth" related to someone's profession, which related to money, which related to the necessity of money for life's necessities. I know that's a lot to take in. Chew in small bites lol

bigpoison

theoreticalboy
nameno1had wrote:
First of all, I find making my self subject to "your opinion" for the purposes of vindicating my actions, not only demeaning, but a huge step back in terms of my growth as an independent adult...

HAH!  You called me a douche and I didn't even flinch, but I ask you to stay within the confines of the debate and you feel threatened as an adult?  You may want to stop having conversations beyond asking mummy for extra helpings of pudding, I'd venture.

chesspooljuly13

theoreticalboy wrote:

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Wow. You don't have to pay for medical insurance? You don't have co-pays when you go to the doctor? You mean, doctors take care of your illnesses for nothing? Wow. Where do you live? Sign me up!

Again, your parochialism is astounding.  Just give it a few minute's thought, maybe?  It shouldn't take all that long (you might want to ponder the meaning of the term I'm using first of all).

Why don't you just say what you mean instead of playing games? Scared? Don't have the facts? Sorry; I no longer feel like trying to convince you and others that money is necessary in today's world.

nameno1had
theoreticalboy wrote:
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

It's funny how you accuse him of being narrow minded and try to falsely accuse me of missing the point, while being wrongfully argumentative for being more open minded about the same subject. Maybe one of these days you'll wake up and realize the world doesn't revolve around your focus and it certainly doesn't unfold as you picture it happening...

chesspooljuly13

theoreticalboy wrote:

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Why don't you just say what you mean instead of playing games? Scared? Don't have the facts? Sorry; I no longer feel like trying to convince you and others that money is necessary in today's world.

bigpoison

"I no longer feel like trying to convince you and others that money is necessary in today's world."

That's not what you've been doing.  You've been trying to convince folks that it's the most important--after truth, I think.

It ain't.

nameno1had
theoreticalboy wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
First of all, I find making my self subject to "your opinion" for the purposes of vindicating my actions, not only demeaning, but a huge step back in terms of my growth as an independent adult...

HAH!  You called me a douche and I didn't even flinch, but I ask you to stay within the confines of the debate and you feel threatened as an adult?  You may want to stop having conversations beyond asking mummy for extra helpings of pudding, I'd venture.

No, once again you misunderstood and falsely accussed me of something...I didn't call you a douche...I merely mentioning your capacity to behave like one...and you still keep proving me right...the sad thing is you still don't get it...

chesspooljuly13

theoreticalboy wrote:

chesspooljuly13 wrote:

This forum topic has been locked