Forums

friends what exactly is x ray attack in chess and how is it different frm skewer

Sort:
cyberdynsystemsmodel

plzz help

Scottrf

In a skewer you attack the more valuable piece, which when it moves exposes the piece behind it to attack.

In an x-ray you are attacking a piece through an opponents piece.

e.g.

Skewer:

X-Ray

The bishop is attacked twice - the white queen is performing an x-ray attack through the black queen.

Rasparovov

A typical x-ray.

NimzoRoy

I prefer Wikipedia's explanation 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_(chess)

gzagorov
melvernboy wrote:

why Qc5? Qd3 seemed to save the bishop.

Don't forget the B2 pawn.

Scottrf

He's talking about the threat of back rank mate, which wasn't really the point. It was intended as a comparison, not a puzzle.

gzagorov

Sorry, my mistake. I don't know why I saw Qc3 instead of Qd3. Of course, you are right.

cyberdynsystemsmodel

thank you so much friends

plutonia

it was well explained in this thread: it's when your piece acts through an opponent's piece. It can be even a defensive tactic:

Funny how in the videos on here most authors keep confusing the "x-ray" with the simple threat of a discovery or a pin.

eddysallin
[COMMENT DELETED]
eddysallin

cyberdynsystemsmodel

hmm thanks a lot friends

Grumly06

This is a beautiful skewer :

check out http://chesstrainerapp.blogspot.fr/2014/01/the-skewer.html for more.

asoroor
plutonia wrote:

it was well explained in this thread: it's when your piece acts through an opponent's piece. It can be even a defensive tactic:

Funny how in the videos on here most authors keep confusing the "x-ray" with the simple threat of a discovery or a pin.

thank you so much, it is nice.

TomBrooklyn

A skewer and  an x-ray are synonymous--two terms for the same tactical motif.

I imagine that prior to 1895, the term x-ray would not have been used because the phenomenon of x-rays was only discovered by Wilhelm Rontgen in that year.

The piece that cannot move without exposing the piece behind it to attack is said to be pinned, if that intermediate piece is of a lower value than the one behind it.