Forums

gender and chess

Sort:
Schwarzritter1

I was reading the "Wives" post, which got me thinking. Is there data on the demographics of chess players? What percentages are men and women? Age? Do some countries have a higher percentage of players than others?

Schwarzritter1

I could not agree more, but the "wives" forum made it sound like the support was overwhelmingly male, so I am just curious.

killerbob155

lucky for us,because femals can play chess!!! and they are real good,at less the one i knows.Embarassed

king_warrior

Who!!! Females good at chess. Yeah, right...only if chess means cooking Cool

Qwertyuiop135

Both women and men are good at chess (Judith Polgar), but I think that there must be some general difference in skill, or else FIDE wouldn't have two seperate World Champion matches, one for males, other for females.

Schwarzritter1

My original qusestion has nothing to do with relative ability of men and women to play chess, which I presume is about equal. I am just curious what percentage of players are male and female.

king_warrior
chess_kebabs wrote:
king_warrior wrote:

Who!!! Females good at chess. Yeah, right...only if chess means cooking

Tell the Polgar sisters that to their face.... bet they would turn you into toast on the board!

Maybe they are good, but they can never compeat to top male players. Of course they  could beat me easily, but I never trained chess. If I did,  they wouldn't have a chanse...Cool

Schwarzritter1

I have opened Pandora's box here. I'm sure women are just as competent chess players as men and that any differences are due to lack of opportunity to play in some countries. I was just curiouws about the demographics of chess players.

king_warrior

no one knows that! Now,  leave usLaughing

Schwarzritter1

It's my discussion post. You can leave . . .Laughing

killerbob155

Frown there should not be 2 catagories of chess players,women should have the right to play in any game or turnnament world wide. men are just scared to loose to a women.

Trant

Women and Men are equal, neither of them are better and neither is the boss of the other 

(My wife told me to type that)

Trant
chess_kebabs wrote:
Trant wrote:

Women and Men are equal, neither of them are better and neither is the boss of the other 

(My wife told me to type that)

boom tish!

Thank you, I'll be at the Comedy Store all next week.

(sitting at the bar watching the acts)

Trant
chess_kebabs wrote:

You might see me there, performing... I'll be the one covered in tomato pulp

Ah, thank you!

*mentally adds one more item to his shopping list*

Schwarzritter1

chess_kebabs: "Humiliated by losing to a girl?" Was this guy in junior high school?? First of all, you are a woman, not a girl (I doubt he'd appreciate being called a "boy"), and second of all, gender has nothing to do with the ability to play chess! I was regretting ever posting this thread but you, trant, and killerbob have saved the day (even if killerbob just beat me twice!). Thanks

kco
Schachgeek wrote:
Trant wrote

She controls the tv remote at your house too I'd imagine.

Of course she does ! why do you think I am at the computer playing chess on chess.com ! Wink

DanielleSurferGirl
king_warrior wrote:

Who!!! Females good at chess. Yeah, right...only if chess means cooking

that remark was soooooo stupid

Trant

I can confirm that my partner is a terrible cook. I'm not sure how good she is at chess though (to be honest, I'd be afraid to find out)

Trant

Well you'd have to be a good cook, what with all the tomato paste(ing) you get.   

Dennis_Webb

This question is an interresting question:

The facts is what I know, far more men are playing chess, far more also compete in chess. How much - I dont know.

I think one reason may be tradition, but its not a good answer. To complicate it more we can speculate that men of some reason are more likely to think strategically in this way. This I think can be supposed looking at the role the man has had (thinking about the man versus women role in society, and also social and biologic evolution)

This will  mainly lead me to think that men are better, because more men are playing and they are playing more time, they may be more interrested etc.

Also I may speculate that the brain(or more psyche) is more adapted to this way of thinking strategically, the women instead are superior in social strategic thinking (at least in some situations in society I think this is the case)

But how about if boys and girls are both trained in chess, and practice both as much, who will then be the best?

look for answers somewehere they have it as a subject in school maybe.

If both are trained similar, I doubt tit will be as much different.

A women with higher iq will often beat a man with lower, maybe.

That is my way to think about this.