Sort:
jimlargon
1gxl wrote:

cheese

Don’t cheese me

OranegJuice
1gxl wrote:

cheese

Hey, what's this all about? Bumping an old thread... on a Monday!? Dude, Bumping Sunday was yesterday. You should've waited another few days, or posted a day earlier.

1gxl

i agree with Oranegjuice

Tactical9999
PLAVIN81 wrote:

"[sic] GO IS INTERESTIG BUT IT IS ENTIRSLY DIFERENT AND SHOULD NOT BE COMPARED TO CHESS"

While Go is very different from chess, the comparison is one of difficulty to learn. This doesn't require studying either game to make qualitative comparisons; rather, it is performed via quantitative data (ex: how many principles and options need to be learned, counterintuitive or exceptional strategies, etc.) to reach a certain level of skill. And that level of skill can also determine which game you think is harder: Chess is a game that requires a lot of rules to be playable, but Go requires much more training to improve. While you shouldn't ask which game is better, which game is harder is an objective question dependent on the level of skill you want to attain.

Tactical9999

Whoops, another Monday bump!

Tactical9999
Caesar49bc wrote:
darwinwasright wrote:

doesnt anyone know about shogi go isnt even the same type of game as chess. shogi is

The thread is about GO vs Chess.

Not enough westerners play shogi to make much about it. Mostly because Shogi is so close to chess. GO on the other hand, has the most simple rules, yet the depth of play is incedible. Plus, GO and Chess have always been compared to each other. Primarily because they are polar opposites of each other as games. The also both use different, but overlapping parts of the brain.

Although both needs calculations and patterm recognition, GO is far more about pattern recognition, bit in a different way compared to chess.

Chess have far more calculations, and the patterns mostly revolve around memorizing combinations, and being able to spot those combinations in different board configurations.

Go is far more subtle with it's patterns. Especially when you get higher level.

If you want to see an incredible result from a low number in a simple function, look no further than TREE(3).

Tactical9999
ezpz1515 wrote:

We all know that in every form of game there is always an Asian who's on another level. Chess might be the only game where Asians aren't dominant. Why? It's because there exists is a similar game called GO that is more sophisticated, harder and beautiful that Asian overlords don't care to play chess.

Whoops for calling Chess and Go similar!

RikhardPT
Go it’s harder hands down
theRonster456

There's a digital version of 43-Man Squamish that's way tougher than both chess and Go.

Osiricc

Being fairly new to chess, I'd say Go is certainly harder in at least one very important way.

It is harder to play every day! A game of Go takes quite a while, it can be hard to find time for it if you're playing casually as a non-professional. Between all the normal day-to-day of work, commute, etc. it is nearly impossible to squeeze in a game of Go during the work week. Let alone have time to study or review your games.

Chess, I can easily play a 20 minute game on a lunchbreak, with time to spare for review, or tactics, videos etc.

Socially, Chess is also more convenient if you live in the US. There is only one Go club in my city, so if that time is inconvenient, no luck. Chess though, any night of the week, multiple options, libraries, coffee shops, breweries, etc.

I am more drawn to Go, I've played off and on as a perpetual beginner over the last few years. If I had the time, I would certainly play it over Chess, but Chess just scratches that itch in a shorter time-frame, with many more options for playing people in person (in the US, at least).

aloofandpoofed

I love Go. It's elegant, beautiful, and can really reward intuitive play.

But I'm thinking of a vacation in Latin America soon, and I figure I can take a chess set with me & get my tail kicked in any town by somebody. But the odds are close to zero that I'd find a Go player.

TaseenJalal

Go might be more complex for Western players to understand thanks to the Japanese terms and resources. It took me a while to understand compared to chess which took about a week. But out of all the strategy games that I've played Othello is the simplest and easiest to play. Chess and go are both tied and equally fun. Checkers get more boring easily, but that's just my opinion.

Regalbeginning

Go is more difficult

GladiatorTurtlez

As someone who has reached an reasonable/average level in each game (~1800 rapid elo lichess, and ~4kyu in go in korean rankings), I think I can give my opinion on this. To me, the complexity/difficulty of the game doesn't actually matter at all. While Go is a lot more confusing than chess, and to a beginner it feels very difficult to judge whether you are winning, etc., I think that once you have invested enough time to start to understand the game, it becomes a lot more interesting. At least in my own experience, each game in chess seemed to feel like the same sort of thing over and over again - it feels almost tedious to progress, especially in closed games, Go actually feels the opposite; every game feels unique, and there's a lot more you can do, which makes it more fun for me.