Forums

Has Chess.com elevated your chess?

Sort:
norseman

No matter what controversy stirs over the rating systems, the differences between on-line and "live" chess or the so called knowledge "gaps" between those on this site and others, has Chess.com elevated your chess game? And are you enjoying your "stay"?

I for one have seen my chess game elevated - where else can you play against such a wide variety of players from all over the world from the comfort of your own home? Where else are you exposed to people with a significant common thread in their life? The benefits of this site to my game and more importantly my life far outweight that of my rating and / or the supposed lack of knowledge of the players here....

bgangioni

For a start, I'll say that this site has definitely improved my chess. And I am enjoying my stay, as well. Yes I am!

And as for the lack of knowledge of players here...
I myself lack a lot of knowledge, and since there are a lot of players here who are far up ahead, I intend to stay here for quite a while, as long as I can learn from them...

farbror
I have learned a lot. The site has inspired me to spend more time on chess. Also, it has been tons of fun!
TonightOnly

Chess.com has definitely made my chess better. The analysis that I undertake in my games is helping to clear out a lot of cobwebs in my brain.

I don't know what you mean about the lack of knowledge of chess.com-ers. There are plenty of good players here, many better than myself. I guess if you are an FM or higher, then chess.com will not provide much competition. For the rest of us, though, there are bound to be lots of people with greater chess knowledge than ourselves here.

Butcher-inactive

I absolutely feel that my game has been elevated.  I have been fortuante enough to play with some who have taken an interest in helping me to improve, and have remarked on my improvement.  So I know it isn't just me feeling more confident, others have seen it as well. 

And, as Farbror said, the site has inspired me to play more often...  more play means more time with Chess on the brain...  more time thinking about Chess equals more familiarity with the game and leads to better play...  perhaps not leading to FM or GM status but at least to a better personal status and a greater enjoyment of the game.

anyway, that's my two cents worth.

FormulamaticHero
Chess.com is helping me.  It has gotten me to a place that I thought I'd never go; actulay studying the game.  I'm memorizing openings and variations and trying to do more than play off the cuff.  I'm looking not only at what I want to do and what night get in the way, but also how I can do what I want in fewer moves.  I think I'm hooked. . .
MaximusG

No.  I've always been this good!  :-)  Just kidding.  Of course it's helped.  Tremendously.  It's lowered my production in every other facet of my life, but what the hell, it's fun, challenging, gets the brain working.  Besides, I live alone so who the hell am I gonna play chess with live. 

Now if they could come up with live "Chess Dating" then I'd be all for that!  :-) 

demuxer

OF COURSE, CHESS.com DID IT!!

now I spend so mucho time here, im now Addicted to chess

for the staff, nice work!!

Sharukin
Has ches.com elevated my chess? Not yet - I haven't been here that long and I already played on other sites. Am i enjoying my stay? Of course! If it wasn't fun I wouldn't be here.
rgp89
Do you really have to ask?  Of choose, it helped my chess.
Graw81
no
Chessstudent
MaximusG wrote:

No.  I've always been this good!  :-)  Just kidding.  Of course it's helped.  Tremendously.  It's lowered my production in every other facet of my life, but what the hell, it's fun, challenging, gets the brain working.  Besides, I live alone so who the hell am I gonna play chess with live. 

Now if they could come up with live "Chess Dating" then I'd be all for that!  :-) 

........how bout it ERIC???

HowDoesTheHorseMove
My internal Chess.com rating has gone up by more than 300 points in the past few months. Since I haven't really been playing anywhere else or taking lessons, I guess I can thank the site for my improvement.
HowDoesTheHorseMove
MaximusG wrote:

I'm married. It doesn't necessarily give one any more chances to play OTB. Smile

I think if we got chess dating in this site then the entire female minority on Chess.com would take out restraining orders within the space of a week. 

Graw81
HowDoesTheHorseMove wrote: My internal Chess.com rating has gone up by more than 300 points in the past few months. Since I haven't really been playing anywhere else or taking lessons, I guess I can thank the site for my improvement.

An increasing rating does not necessarily mean improvement. 

HowDoesTheHorseMove
Graw81 wrote: HowDoesTheHorseMove wrote: My internal Chess.com rating has gone up by more than 300 points in the past few months. Since I haven't really been playing anywhere else or taking lessons, I guess I can thank the site for my improvement.

An increasing rating does not necessarily mean improvement. 

How so? This is not a minor jump; I used to be just under 1000 and I'm now a little over 1300. I know that I'd probably rate much lower in OTB play, but the internal measure ought to be reasonably consistent.

Graw81
1000-1300 players win games becuase their opponents are simply weak and blunder. Theres no learning as such involved. Going from 1300-1600 involves a bit more learning to be honest. Someone rated 400-700 are equally bad (good?). Ok maybe im right/wrong, i made my point.
HowDoesTheHorseMove
Graw81 wrote: 1000-1300 players win games becuase their opponents are simply weak and blunder. Theres no learning as such involved. Going from 1300-1600 involves a bit more learning to be honest. Someone rated 400-700 are equally bad (good?). Ok maybe im right/wrong, i made my point.

I diagree. Recognizing an opponent's blunder takes experience, as does avoiding blunders in the first place. Judging from analysis of my older games, I've gotten much better at both. That counts as learning in my book.

Graw81
ok. whatever you think, im just saying, rating increase does not always mean an improvement.
shadowslayer
I havent been here enough to say but I like my "stay"