Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

How are people rated like 500-600?

• 3 months ago · Quote · #81

owltuna

I think he was using "Rat" from Lucas Chess, and about to break 800 at any moment.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #82

pullin

In reply to "iamsecond" 

I like how you conviently place yourself on your chess ladder and make the circumstances meet your own ego. 

The better question is how would a 2650+ rated player look at your ratings scheme 1700+ (near expert) while basically claiming the stupidity of lower rated players below you. 

Albeit your ignorance clearly there is no clear way of judgement because of course a 2500 has the same curve differential as a 1700 over a 900. So you may not be blundering pieces but you're blundering your position, but is that fair of someone to say of you, just because you didn't make the right move? Houdini (3200) could essentially technically make a claim, but it's hard to define right and wrong until you find a clear mate. 

Tennis to me is the closest thing to chess.. it takes natural talent and experience.. and how you play depends on factors that take the game from feet to inches, added spin, increased speed on the ball, and constant precise changes to your game that REQUIRES tremendous experience and dedication beyond talent. The first time you play tennis you won't under any circumstance play like a pro player, just like when you first play chess. You need to develop the skills and understanding of the game to perform

I truly think the people who make these kinds of threads are insecure and feel threatened so they need to eliminate competition of people who at any level of "intelligence" would start off chess below 1000 rating. It goes to show how the OP managed to get banned that this kind of personality would make such a stupid thread. 

• 2 months ago · Quote · #83

mastermind7864

PearlFey wrote:
    mastermind7864 wrote:

I've been playing chess for over 40 years.......and I still suck. My brother is rated around 2000 though.

I have a more mechanical mind, and his is more analytical......we are just geared differently.

You don't sound very good at mechanical work, then.

Why whould you say that?

You'd be very surprised to know just how wrong you were.

Chess players as a rule seem to be rude as hell.

I'll not be posting here anymore.....

• 2 months ago · Quote · #84

camberfoil

No need to jump to conclusions.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #85

owltuna

I jumped to a conclusion once, but it was wet and slippery, and I fell down.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #86

camberfoil

owltuna wrote:

I jumped to a conclusion once, but it was wet and slippery, and I fell down.

Haha

• 2 months ago · Quote · #87

Chris-de-Burger

He got badly conclussed.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #88

camberfoil

Is he okay now?

• 2 months ago · Quote · #89

PearlFey

I have a few friends that are that low, they admit to moving pieces randomly.

• 14 days ago · Quote · #90

DavidDeMar

I'm a returning player who hasn't played in 40 years. My unofficial rating based upon puzzles and

tactics trainers from various websites has hovered in the 500-600 range for the two weeks since my return. I had been very encouraged by this website until now.I am very hurt by the original posting in this thread. The attitude expressed in that posting may chase me away from the game again. I hope it's not emblematic of the chess world .

• 14 days ago · Quote · #91

kaynight

David: Don't be put off playing chess. This site is full of raving lunatics.

• 14 days ago · Quote · #92

EscherehcsE

Yep, chess can be enjoyed at any level. Don't let the Looney-Tunes get ya down.

• 14 days ago · Quote · #93

hapless_fool

My CC rating is 1350.

My blitz rating is 600.

For CC I study the board and make the best move I can think of.

For blitz I use a RMG (random move generator).

I dream of the day I can get my blitz up to 700...

• 13 days ago · Quote · #94

XPLAYERJX

When I first started playing chess I had a ranking of 500 at the time I use to think that bishops were more valued than rooks. In real life usually the higher court are around the king and the queen so my logic was that the bishops since they are placed next to the king and queen in the begin of the board were valued higher than knights and rooks So I use to sac my rooks and knights for bishops and when ever my opponent took my bishop's I thought I was losing so I resigned and that is how I became 500 and as of today I'm close to 1700 So it just goes to show that with practice, learning, and studying any1 can get better

• 10 days ago · Quote · #95

DavidDeMar

Thanks to the last few posters.you'very re-invigorated my enthusiasm.I'm not giving up.I'm going to continue to practice and learn....I'm even considering joining a club in NYC.

• 10 days ago · Quote · #96

XPLAYERJX

DavidDeMar

Thanks to the last few posters.you'very re-invigorated my enthusiasm.I'm not giving up.I'm going to continue to practice and learn....I'm even considering joining a club in NYC.

I will give you a 3 helpful tips on your journey my friend that might be able to help you.

1- Material value: When I first started out no one told me how much each piece on a chess board was worth so I thought bishops were better than rooks as you might of read in my previous statement so I plan to show you how much each piece is valued

1 Queen: 9 points

1 Rook: 5 points

1 Bishop: 3 points

1 Knight: 3 points

1 Pawn: 1 point

Now WHY is this relevent you might ask well If you was to have 2 rooks the value of those 2 rooks would be 10 compared to the value of 1 queen which is 9 in truth material wise 2 rooks are better than 1 queen;however, it also depends on the position in the game sometimes 2 rooks cant get active and the 1 queen can becuase it can move in all directions compared to the rooks that can only go up and down and side to side also I will do another crazy comparison just so you can see what 1 queen equals

1 queen = 1 rook +1 bishop +1 pawn = 1 rook + 1 knight + 1 pawn = 2 bishops + 1 knight = 2 knights + 1 bishop = 1 bishop + 6 pawns= 1 knight + 6 pawns

2- Basic Chess princples: I will give you 2 links from youtube videos that can help you with this:

A. Everything You Need to Know About Chess: The Opening!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=21L45Qo6EIY

B. Chess opening principles for beginners

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4nYJzr69A

3- Chess openings: Usually they try and tell beginners to pick openings that are not theoretically complicated I.E don't pick a complex opening WHY?? because generally most of these openings are sharp and 1 wrong move can have you in a world of hurt and also if you start playing them now by the time you get to intermediate level you will be bored lol because you won't have nothing new to study ha ha so save those complex openings for when your intermediate level lol If you are wondering what Opening I would recommend well I would recommend the Italian game and the London system. I will also include links of youtube video's showing how to play the line and my forum pages that show games that I play using these 2 lines they are not very hard and if you learn them you can use them all the way till your a GM or until you get to a point were your intermediate level and want to try out other lines. I guess I'm considered intermediate level and I still enjoy playing both of them.

London System

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBMFWuwv1E

Italian Game vs Ruy Lopez(Spanish Game)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hriSNXPkIA

Here are some attacking lines in the Italian game

Fried Liver Attack

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ITi9Jc0J-o

Lolli Attack

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmF64w13ZU8

My Forum games

chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/london-system10

chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/italian-game7

• 9 days ago · Quote · #97

DavidDeMar

Wow!i'm totally blown away by the fact that you put so so much time and effort into your reply to me . For me to just say thank you seems inadequate. I'm sure that you would be glad to know that I watched the London System video on YouTube last week before I knew of your suggestion and I loved it-especially since I had never heard of it or encountered it in the beginner's books that I had read or skimmed when I was a kid. Icant wait to try it out! Thank you for what you have done for me and for others who will read your reply to me. My religious faith-Jewish on the outside,Christian on the inside lol-informs me that you

• 9 days ago · Quote · #98

DavidDeMar

will be rewarded on the chessboard and off. Do

you have any guidelines specifically related to pawn structure? I'm humble enough to admit that that's a huge weakness in my game right now?thanks again and I look forward to the day that I will be skillful enough to help someone in the way that you have given your help to me.

• 9 days ago · Quote · #99

XPLAYERJX

DavidDeMar

Do you have any guidelines specifically related to pawn structure? I'm humble enough to admit that that's a huge weakness in my game right now?thanks again and I look forward to the day that I will be skillful enough to help someone in the way that you have given your help to me.

For pawn structures I believe the importance of pawns is to know how pawns work. How pawns capture, pawn chains/isolated pawns/double pawns, pawn attacks as well as the critical idea of dou pawns in the center which in fact alot of chess openings revolve around having or trying to get 2 pawns in the center.

How pawns capture
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=yellEkdVtY8

Pawn chains/isolated pawns/double pawns

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZLnKU4f7g

Pawn attacks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRtyMieFFI

Dou pawns in the center

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOuETbnbNpw

I hope this helps in your journey of pawn structures

Post your reply: