Forums

How did the chess bug first bite you?

Sort:
FonzMcBride

The bug never bit me but I love cigarettes.At this place where I was raised there was a nun who played chess. She would give me cigarettes if I played against her. Later she would only give me cigarettes if I beat her at chess. She was pretty good so I had to learn fast.

zborg
trysts wrote:

I was taught by an atheist, then I started winning against christians.

Praise the Lord, and Pass the Ammunition.  Smile

Ben_Dubuque

Interestingly enough surfing a summer camp in the evenings with friends because what else was there to do after its too dark to do anything but sit in front of a fire or play chess. I decided I wanted to be the best of my friends. And they actually liked that I got better because it then became a Badge of honor in the group to win against me. ( about 3 of the 15 or so people who played regularly were able to take a game from me, and my score against the group as a whole was something like +145 -15=25or something crazy like that)

ab121705

Learned in grade school and loved it ever since. There were a couple of smart kids who thought they were better than everybody; I beat them and that taught me a great life lesson: a humble attitude and a clear head are necessary for me to play chess well. If I know I'm going to beat someone, I'm set up to get humiliated (as I have plenty of times). I've found chess to be a great teacher, especially about keeping my mind clear and keeping my ego in check. In chess and in life I try to do what's in front of me and forget about proving anything. When I stray from that I get spanked.

Pat_Zerr

Oh and I think when I was little I used to call it "chest."

pawnkeeper

I had an interest in learning chess in high school, why I don't know.  In the 10th grade I found someone to teach me how to play. Of course he won against me at first. Then I started winning against him he wouldn't play me anymore. My 1st tourament I believe was when I was 22 years os age. My highest uscf rating was "1956", "A" class. I don't play anymore, to old.

ab121705
pawnkeeper wrote:

I had an interest in learning chess in high school, why I don't know.  In the 10th grade I found someone to teach me how to play. Of course he won against me at first. Then I started winning against him he wouldn't play me anymore. My 1st tourament I believe was when I was 22 years os age. My highest uscf rating was "1956", "A" class. I don't play anymore, to old.

too old?? no such thing

JMB2010

Wandering around in Barnes+Noble the "Chess for Dummies" book caught my eye. I read it cover to cover and was instantly hooked.

Cyklope

I don't really know how I learned the basics, but I remember that I knew how to move the pieces when I saw a book of chess puzzle at a friend of mine. I tried to solve some and he offerd me a game. At that moment I was actually taken by the "chess fever" I played several years in a chess club but I stopped as friends of mine stopped at the club. In the years between I have only played several games, until last year I had some "Gap ours" in between my lessons where I did not know what to do. And so I started playing chess on the web again. Here.

Ben_Dubuque
Volcano738 wrote:

I got slightly interested when a computer teacher in 8th grade summer school was a national master and started playing against chessmaster on the computer.  The program must have been from the mid 90's to late 90's or so.  I got a little interested, then lost interest quite quickily.  Then in 10th grade my history teacher had an offere of 5 points extra credit to anybody who could beat him in chess.  I took him up one day and we played a game and of course i got crushed.  But over the year he and I played some friendly games and eventually other people started playing at lunchtime and we had a mini chess club going.  My teacher taught me a lot of the basics and also the caro-kann and so on and i got a little more familiar.  Then I started playing on the internet on a dutch website called www.pimpernel.com which is now no longer active and i started winning games and realized i could at least learn to play fairly decently.  Now, 10 years later, after a 6 year break from chess while i persued other things in life, i've returned to the game 8 months ago and realized the bug never went away!

The bit about an informal club reminds me of my highschool. we had one, it was me, the Chem teacher, and maybe 5 or 6 others, I was the best player, only 2 people could take a game from me, the chem teacher and someone else. Everyone else I could beat even giving Queen and a Rook pawn odds.

MISTERGQ

I got bit twice. First was in 7th grade in my middle school. All the 'smart' kids were talking about this chess competition and I wanted in. I wanted to play, and had played a little with my dad from time to time. I played the other kids and did okay before tournament. I won most of the time, but still lost to this one kid. The day of the tournament comes and we are playing against the other rival middle school, and I lose my first game to scholars mate. I then proceed to win all the next 9 games and come in first place. The kid who I couldn't beat came up and told me I didn't deserve first place and I didn't deserve to play in the tournament. Screw him right? I loved chess until they moved the club to early mornings and it faded off.

Jump 8 years in the future of not playing chess, and I got bit again in college. My friend and I decided to play chess one day, and found ourselves evenly matched. So, it became a routine to play chess and drink 40 oz Mickey's Malt Liquor. We got really good for non-club amateurs and had a lot of fun. I eventually started playing online, and joined a chess club, and now I spend most of my day playing or studying chess or music on the days I don't work. I've become a strong club player, and the only person I have yet to beat is the National Master at the club.

pawnkeeper
ab121705 wrote:
pawnkeeper wrote:

too old?? no such thing   I think i'm just as good but my rating just keeps falling so I guess I'm to old, the memory doesn't seem to be there. I'll just be a Jesus freak, it is more rewarding.

varelse1

When I was in high school, a group of us got together, and decided to form a chess club. We had 20-year-old sets, in boxes. And no coach.

I read all 3 chess books that were in the library. We went out and recruited a coach, who had just graduated college. He forked out his money for decent boards for us. And started teaching us how to play correctly.

Five months later, we won the state championship.

Ben_Dubuque
varelse1 wrote:

When I was in high school, a group of us got together, and decided to form a chess club. We had 20-year-old sets, in boxes. And no coach.

I read all 3 chess books that were in the library. We went out and recruited a coach, who had just graduated college. He forked out his money for decent boards for us. And started teaching us how to play correctly.

Five months later, we won the state championship.

impressive