Forums

How do chess players afford tournaments? I can't and I'm a middle class person.

Sort:
Ziryab
azamatmaster wrote:

What about chess in London? I am going to study there. If you know any chess clubs, let me know.

When I visited London as a tourist, I joined http://www.khcc.org.uk/start.shtml my first night in the city. Played a few games with Kingscrusher of YouTube fame.

IOliveira
DarknisMetalDragon wrote:
II-Oliveira wrote:

If you were a super famous GM, like Anand and Carlsen, that would be no problem, because there are sponsors.

As an amateur, however, it can indeed became expensive.

Professional players that have not yet achieved the high class level suffer way more, I believe, because they are often without sponsors and need to gain enough money from tournaments to compensate the expenses and fees and also make a living.   

How were Anand and Carlsen able to play in these type of elementary tournaments? I don't mean them specifically, but how did these GMs manage to get into elementary tournaments and start their career.

I presume most GMs did the way I said, taking part on tournaments without knowing if they will end with more or less money than they started. 

But if they get a high status early, before adulthood, they can pass trough this fase while still under their parents financial support. 

pt22064

Many hobbies/sports cost a lot more than chess, which is relatively inexpensive.  Friends of mine have kids in high school and junior high school who are into squash, fencing and skiing.  Those are expensive sports.  Before factoring in cost of coaches and tournament entry fees, you have to spend several hundred to several thousand dollars for equipment and membership fees in gyms or racquet clubs just to get the opportunity to play.

greenibex

They are happy

Ziryab

I played in a tournament this weekend. My $27 entry fee came out of my $75 prize for winning the club championship (which cost $16 to enter). I won $67. Of course, there was gas and food expenses. I ate at Starbucks on the way this morning. I also made two trips to the airport, bringing one master to the tournament and taking two masters back to the airport this afternoon.

I came out a few dollars ahead, even after counting the $20 I spent on chess books that IM John Donaldson brought to sell.

penandpaper0089

Yeah I think tournaments that last a Saturday are going to be significantly cheaper. It is unfortunate that the fun 3/4-day tournaments cost so much.

Gingecards

DarknisMetalDragon wrote:

I'm a middle class person. I still can't afford the tournaments because of the fact that they last three days in my area and I think you'd have to rent a hotel room for two days. These are local tournaments. How do other chess players afford tournaments? Is my desciption accurate? Do your tournaments last three days. Btw, I'm in the Los Angeles area. 

Edit: I want to be a grandmaster someday, but might not even be able to becasue of this issue. I wonder if they can afford it based on previous results in elementary tournaments?

i live in greaterla area too and i go to tournaments in which i can drive to from home.

greenibex

a lot of them get free entry fees because those middle class people are GMs