Forums

How do i win this endgame?

Sort:
wtf_BobbyF

I had only 30 seconds left in my clock and he had like 2 minutes... so i accepted a draw by repetition but i was wondering if it is possible to win this game... PLEASE HELP ME! I WANT TO SLEEP TONITE!!!

ColtronP

No, the bishop would have to be dark-squared to have a chance. The black king can force a draw in the top right corner

NimzoRoy
White wins because Black can't get to h8 ahead of White. If Black moves first 1...Ke5 draws, Black doesn't even have to hold on to his pawn.
eddysallin
[COMMENT DELETED]
dogladyofparker

Im sort of new at chess but I think if you moved your king and the bishop was on the same diagonal you could move it next to the black king who couldn't take you cause your bishop is there and it would put him in check  but I think white has a chance to win  I just read a rule that you can check with a king if you have a queen next to it but a  bishop on the same diagonal would accomplish the same thing

wtf_BobbyF

Thank u NimzoRoy! What about 3. ...Kh5!?

Does white still win?

EDIT: Nevermind, i just checked it and is still a win for white

wtf_BobbyF

Thank u paulgottlieb, i liked very much that i got a visual answer (nimzoroy) and a "words answer" (yours)... so i can read the ideas behind this endgame and then watch them in action... but you dont seem so convinced it is a win...

MatchStickKing
NimzoRoy
paulgottlieb wrote:

There must be an internet word for this! While I was typing away, NimzoRoy beat me to it with almost exactly the same ideas.

"ninja'd" is the term you're looking for, I just learned it myself

MatchStickKing
eddysallin wrote:

Forced draw.....sleep soundly.

Forced win for white due to king position. Otherwise, with the black king being more active than it was you'd be right.

eddysallin
[COMMENT DELETED]
Splane

If you think in schemes instead of moves it is easy to solve.

To draw Black must get his king in front of the h-pawn and be able to keep it there. H8 is where he ideally wants his king to be. White will be unable to force the king out of the corner, pushing the h-pawn merely leads to stalemates.

The Black king can take two paths to get to h8.

Path1 Kf4-e5-f6-g7-h8

Path2 Kf4-g3-h4-h5-h6-h7-h8

Path1 can be blocked immediately by the white king moving to the d-file.

Path2 can be blocked by the white bishop moving to g4.

Since path1 is the immediate threat, then the right move order is to stop it first.

1. Kd6 Kg3  2. Ke5 Kh4 

Now you block path2

3. Bg4 Kmoves  4. Kf5 K moves  5. Kxg5.  

JMB2010

Win for white, but careless play can bring about this position.

Casual_Joe
wtf_BobbyF wrote:

Does white still win?

Can you elaborate?  It's not obvious to me why Black can't get to a8 after 3 Kh5...

Edit:  Oh, now I see it:  Bf5 and Kf6.

JMB2010
Casual_Joe wrote:
wtf_BobbyF wrote:

Does white still win?

Can you elaborate?  It's not obvious to me why Black can't get to a8 after 3 Kh5...

NimzoRoy's line is flawed, 3...Kh5 draws (see my comment) Instead in his line 3.Bg4! wins.

Casual_Joe
JMB2010 wrote:
Casual_Joe wrote:
wtf_BobbyF wrote:

Does white still win?

NimzoRoy's line is flawed, 3...Kh5 draws (see my comment) Instead in his line 3.Bg4! wins.

Ah, I should've looked more carefully.  Good catch!

wtf_BobbyF

Thank u NM Splane, your explanation was the best, easy to understand... and a very good catch indeed by JMB

wtf_BobbyF
paulgottlieb wrote:

They call him NM Splane 'cause he "splanes" things so clearly

Bazinga!

chess_oliver