Forums

How Hard Is Chess, Really?

Sort:
Here_Is_Plenty
stanhope13 wrote:

There are Tiddlewinks tournements.

I remember despairing years ago when Oxford University replaced the annual chess tournament with a tiddlywinks one.  Made me glad I was too stupid to go to Oxford.

DimebagDerek

I play quite a bit of scrabble as well.  Learning all the two letter and three letter words helps out tremendously in that game.  Also the variation of the game matters, if it is up to the opponent to challenge words that they believe are not real words, that increases the difficulty tremendously, because you can occasionally bluff a word.  Now if you are playing online versions, like Literati or Words with Friends, the game itself checks before play, so it makes play considerably easier.

DimebagDerek

My grandfather sold cars for over 50 years, when someone would come into his office just browsing or trying to get a test drive out of him, he would bust out a set of tiddlywinks and ask them if they wanted to play.  The people would look so confused and he would just say 'Well I know you aren't here to buy a car, so I figured we could play some tiddlywinks'  Was very amusing working with him.

Conflagration_Planet

Competive tiddlywinks is harder than most people think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddlywinks

blake78613

I always thought the old Avalon Hill game Panzer Blitz was basically unplayable.  It was strange because most of my friends were fascinated with the equipment and modular maps.  But as a game it just didn't work.  You had to approach it as simulation and play in that spirit, because there were often tactics you could use to win that didn't make sense as an actual simulation of the real thing.

blake78613
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

Competive tiddlywinks is harder than most people think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddlywinks

Real men play Tiddywinks with manhole covers.

thesoulwatcher

The japanese game of Go is rather complex, and a much more overwhelming board on a grid of 19x19, but I'd say Chess would be the second most complex. Checkers and Othello can be complex as well but more limited in possibilites.

DimebagDerek

You guys have convinced me, I shall check out Go!  I wasn't even aware of Shogi until I watched anime.  I will check it out also.

nameno1had
stanhope13 wrote:

What about SCRABBLE that,s hard.

I love scrabble...and I think it is easy...

nameno1had
LAZARE82 wrote:

I just read the post about checkers,

I did not realise there were that many possibilities loll.

But still ,,, less than chess

He indeed did say it was less than chess. I read it was 50, and sometimes up to 200 computers working night, and day for 18 years to finally solve checkers. They say chess probably has at least 40 more zeros for possible moves than checkers. Still, nobody could ever memorize even a significant fraction of the possible checkers moves.

If you missed my apology earlier, I felt I owed it to you to say it again and include a few facts for why. I had gotten GO and Reversi confused. I blundered bad. I wanted to tell you that I don't know enough about GO to corroborate your opinion as factual in my opinion, but I did try it once and realized it was invovled enough that I decided, instead of trying to get good at it, I would rather stick to chess. I already knew much more about it.

Conflagration_Planet
nameno1had wrote:
LAZARE82 wrote:

I just read the post about checkers,

I did not realise there were that many possibilities loll.

But still ,,, less than chess

He indeed did say it was less than chess. I read it was 50, and sometimes up to 200 computers working night, and day for 18 years to finally solve checkers. They say chess probably has at least 40 more zeros for possible moves than checkers. Still, nobody could ever memorize even a significant fraction of the possible checkers moves.

If you missed my apology earlier, I felt I owed it to you to say it again and include a few facts for why. I had gotten GO and Reversi confused. I blundered bad. I wanted to tell you that I don't know enough about GO to corroborate your opinion as factual in my opinion, but I did try it once and realized it was involved enough that I decided, instead of trying to get good at it, I would rather stick to chess. I already knew much more about it.

I don't know much about Go at all, but since the board has more squares than chess, there's more possible moves. There's a game called Campaigning for Northern Africa, that's supposed to be harder than hell too.

konhidras

Chess is really hard. Specially when a sore losser oponent whips you with it.

ClavierCavalier

Tiddlywinks?  What?  Never heard of that until now.

VULPES_VULPES
DimebagDerek wrote:

You guys have convinced me, I shall check out Go!  I wasn't even aware of Shogi until I watched anime.  I will check it out also.

I tried playing Shogi before. It took much longer for me to improve than chess.

mrsmokeymad

for one thing for sure, it'S hard to answer you r question

rupert2112
VULPES_VULPES wrote:
rupert2112 wrote:

I wouldn't call Go or Chess harder than the other, the level of difficulty depends on the opponent.  Although playing Go with a three year old, and simply keeping the toddler from eating the pieces, is the most stressful game in existance.  

Like I mentioned before, it's the fault of misused words. The word OP is looking for is "complicated".

Complexity is relative, the nature of chess leads to stategy and calculation. 

Simply because there are more options does not make a situation more complicated. 

Computers are better at Chess than Go because of the nature of how a computer operates. 

Could a computer discern which is better, Coke or Pepsi?  Or to explain the beauty of a Van Goh compared to a sketch by a preschooler on the fridge?  Questions equally impossible to calculate, although there is a disparity in the, level of difficulty. 

Go is more a game of strategy, quite visceral, visual and simply does not lend to cold, deliberate calculation.

rupert2112

Van Gogh... Sorry Vincent...

VULPES_VULPES

That's what I thought too. I figured that explanation made more sense. I just needed someone to remind me of that.

Ah_Vignette

Chess is pretty easy to learn, but extremely difficult to master. The hardest part of learning is figuring out how the knight moves. And arguing about whether en passant and castling is allowed.

casual_chess_yo
AnarchyBrian wrote:

Chess is pretty easy to learn, but extremely difficult to master. The hardest part of learning is figuring out how the knight moves. And arguing about whether en passant and castling is allowed.

HOLY NECROBUMP BATMAN