Forums

How Hard Is Chess, Really?

Sort:
VULPES_VULPES
joeschmo123 wrote:

monopoly is harder

Monopoly is based on luck (i.e. the roll of a die, what square you land on, etc.), and has nothing to do with complexity in fundamental terms. There are also a bunch of useless factors involved in the game, making it complicated in an unnecessary way. 

One should also watch his words. Sure, Monopoly is hard because you might not be good at it or because of something else. However, Monopoly is not even worth mentioning in the same context as chess because in chess, one does not rely on luck to gain an advantage. None of the players, in Monopoly, have full control over what happends to them; they have to depend on a third party, called Luck, to win. When luch in involved, it hasn't any similarities to chess.

Plus, Monopoly isn't complicated. You cannot make a game tree like you can do with chess, writing down every possible move you can make. Supposedly, the bigger the tree, the more complicated the game.

Thus, don't compare the two, please.

Shippen
timbeau wrote:
Shippen wrote:

Chess is easy to play hard to master.

"trip-klee, klee-kleeklee ."

'rik-rik'

atarw

Go seems harder, considering computers haven't mastered it yet.

Checkers is solved and called a draw with perfect play, so its easier

VULPES_VULPES
Shippen wrote:
timbeau wrote:
Shippen wrote:

Chess is easy to play hard to master.

"trip-klee, klee-kleeklee ."

'rik-rik'

Well, Go is really easy to play and really hard to master.

VULPES_VULPES

Think about it:

Checkers took 400 computers and 18 years (according to one guy [they were old computers]) to solve and have long been solved. 

In chess, computers are beating the world's best grandmasters regularly.

In Go, computers still have yet to beat a more underdog master. 

Summary: the water of intelligence is rising, already submerging Checkers and about to drown chess, while Go is safe high above, knowing that it might take another century or ten to solve Go.

PLAVIN81

Cess is the hardest=every oth board game is second

VULPES_VULPES
PLAVIN79 wrote:

Cess is the hardest=every oth board game is second

Play Go. You'll speak otherwise.

rupert2112

I wouldn't call Go or Chess harder than the other, the level of difficulty depends on the opponent.  Although playing Go with a three year old, and simply keeping the toddler from eating the pieces, is the most stressful game in existance.  

DimebagDerek
ClavierCavalier wrote:

So, Mr. DimebagdDerek, do either game help the other or are they so different there is no cross over?  I assume it's like going from the piano to the kazoo, or vice versa.

No, I don't think the difference between chess and checkers is equal to the piano and the kazoo.  No offense intended.

I think it helped in some ways, because of all the memorization of openings and tactics.  There is a system of counting pieces on your board to determine who has 'the move' which basically mean who will be chasing who. (Similar to a forced zugzwang and the opponent has to be retreating)  Some of the endgames are a forced 50ish moves, and knowing the theory of it helps you know how to lead the games into the lines.  There are forced draws, similar to a stalemate feel.  So I would say there are certainly ideas that are similar.       I went from being unrated at chess to USCF rated 1800 in my first tournament ever.  The person I played with when I really started learning chess was the Texas Jr Amatuer champion and runner up as a young teen, and in less than a year I was beating him 90% of the games.  So I cannot say it for sure helped me, but it feels like it did.

VULPES_VULPES
rupert2112 wrote:

I wouldn't call Go or Chess harder than the other, the level of difficulty depends on the opponent.  Although playing Go with a three year old, and simply keeping the toddler from eating the pieces, is the most stressful game in existance.  

Like I mentioned before, it's the fault of misused words. The word OP is looking for is "complicated".

waffllemaster

A bit of advice, modified to fit this discussion... which is harder among board games like chess, checkers, go, shogi, et al.

The hardest game is the one you don't like playing Wink

VULPES_VULPES

Yup.

Here_Is_Plenty
waffllemaster wrote:

A bit of advice, modified to fit this discussion... which is harder among board games like chess, checkers, go, shogi, et al.

The hardest game is the one you don't like playing

Monopoly it is then.

Conflagration_Planet
LAZARE82 wrote:

I just read the post about checkers,

I did not realise there were that many possibilities loll.

But still ,,, less than chess

He indeed did say it was less than chess. I read it was 50, and sometimes up to 200 computers working night, and day for 18 years to finally solve checkers. They say chess probably has at least 40 more zeros for possible moves than checkers. Still, nobody could ever memorize even a significant fraction of the possible checkers moves.

Here_Is_Plenty

Nonsense, planet.  Little round one diagonally, followed by little round one diagonally, maybe then little round one diagonally, then the masterstroke little round one diagonally...rinse and repeat.

DimebagDerek

What is interesting about checkers play is that when you go to tournaments, they used to be called GAYP tourneys. (Go as you please)  But there are only really a handful of really strong and popular openings to learn deeply.  The games became very drawish.  So now you draw a 3-move card.  It forces you to learn the proper draw lines of dubious openings.  They do in fact have barred openings though, because there is no actual way to draw with best play.

Grandmasta23

there r checker tournaments

stanhope13

There are Tiddlewinks tournements.

stanhope13

What about SCRABBLE that,s hard.

DimebagDerek

Yes there are.  Many of the names have been big names in the game for a very long time.  I believe the last close to 10 years have been dominated by Ron King.