Forums

How long does your blunders hunt you ??

Sort:
chessmaster102

just messed up big time in this game http://live.chess.com/live?v=2013081901#g=584111112

first made a mistake that gives him a forced draw then mess up some more and just BLOW THE GAME he even offered a draw before I played my horrible move. I feel like this might hunt me for the rest of my chess playing days it was so bad. Anyone ever mess up like this if so How long have you dwelled on a blunder ?

Shannomo

I don't mind if my opponent outplays me by finding some good moves that I couldn't defend properly, however when I blunder poorly during a losing streak of games I quite often feel a little chess-depressed! But it fades fast enough, I just take a break and do something that's not frustrating me, and try again the next day.

Fixed your link too--
http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=584111112

chessmaster102

thanks

Rsava
chessmaster102 wrote:

How long have you dwelled on a blunder ?

Sometimes a week or two. Once I dwelled on one for about 15 years.

I am dwelling on them less and less as I realize my chess knowledge and ability is a journey rather than a destination.

heinzie

It was a breezy summer evening in 1996... 12. Rae1??? where the alert 12. Nh4! was called for.

D_McGregor

Until the next move/game

TheBigDecline

There are still are couple of mishaps I haven't really forgotten yet, some which cost me the whole game, some where I just made an ass out of myself by inadvertently slipping into a stalemate. But the best mentor is always experience, right? :)

BhomasTrown

how far does the past go into the future?

chesshole

i usually am not bothered by blunders from chess.com games.  i just move on to the next game.  if i was playing in a real life tournament i would be more bothered by a blunder

ernestosim01

thanks for this post. now i know i'm not alone in this hurting. when playing vs strong opponent and i'm losing anyway, the pain eases away quickly (a day or two). when playing against weaker opponent the blow lasts for eternity. i have lots of it.

LimpSpider

My most recent hurtful blunder came last night, and still smarts. I absolutely blundered away a drawn position and....well....at least I'm not alone!

Most blunders don't hurt me though. They just give me motivation to work harder at improving, but blunders due to carelessness is just painful!

Math0t

If it's about really huge blunders:

Live blitz: a couple of hours usually. Sometimes days.
Although I remember I converted an easy mate into a stalemate, while having more than enough time on the clock (over 30 seconds) to think about it and execute the mate. This was several months ago.

Online/Turn based:  a couple of months usually, sometimes years.

Slow OTB: several blunders hunt me for years. It still bothers me that I lost an external game a couple of years ago to a player who hadn't won a single external game in at least a year, and how I gave away the Queen after a long series of bad/dubious moves. And the oldest blunder I remember accurately is from about 20 years ago! Although that one does not bother me anymore.

SSJLenny
Shannomo wrote:

I don't mind if my opponent outplays me by finding some good moves that I couldn't defend properly, however when I blunder poorly during a losing streak of games I quite often feel a little chess-depressed! But it fades fast enough, I just take a break and do something that's not frustrating me, and try again the next day.

Fixed your link too--
http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=584111112

Took the words right out my fingertips.

Bartleby73

We learn by the power of pain. 

Some blunders haunt me for years. At other times, it does not matter. Especially when the opponent does something equally stupid a few moves later. 

qrayons

I like that my blunders haunt me. Helps prevent me from making them again.

BhomasTrown

"Tonight, you will be visited by three spirits!" quote from A Chessmas Carol by Charles Checkins. 

Trivia: 

Spirit 1 is the ghost of chess games past.

Spirit 2 is the ghost of chess games present.

Spirit 3 is the ghost of chess games future.  

Si-Eric

A very short time!!!

bobbyDK

blunders in team match hunt me. It can annoy me to let the team down. 

blunders if I play for my self it really doesn't matter.

Macthealmighty

How long do my blunders haunt me?

Until the next blunder.

So, usually not long at all.

Yell