Forums

How to Offer a Draw if Playing OTB

Sort:
mtbz

I know this might sound dumb, but I really need some concrete answers for this. All this while, I have been learning chess and playing it online. If I were to offer a draw, I will just hit the draw button and the game draws. How, then, would you do to offer a draw for on the board games? Do you say "Can we have a draw" to your opponent or do you just voluntarily shake hands and assume your opponent knows that you want a draw? How do you decline a draw? Please help me learn the ethics of chess thank youLaughing

Scottrf

I've never been to a chess club, but I'd imagine 'Draw?' would suffice.

Ben_Dubuque

you offer draw with an inquisitive draw, Make sure you record this on your score sheet, also you can claim draw, but that is a different story all together.  To decline, either make a move, or just politely say no.

champ_weller

i hate when your brother in law laughs at a draw offer and it ends up being a draw..

Ben_Dubuque

I am trying to organize an OTB tourney at my school, I should probably tell anyone who signs up that draws are possible

Skwerly

"I offer a draw" is the way I have always seen it OTB.  Even the grandmasters.  :)

k-scope

I would like to know if it is allowed to withdraw the draw offer if your opponent is thinking about whether to accept or not?

Skwerly

once it's out there, it's out there; no withdraw.  :)

dark_knightB

offer the draw, make your move, hit your clock.  opponent will then accept the offer or can decline or just make his move.

ChessisGood

1. Write your move.

2. Make your move.

3. Say, "I offer a draw"

4. Hit the clock

Skwerly
ChessisGood wrote:

1. Write your move.

2. Make your move.

3. Say, "I offer a draw"

4. Hit the clock

This. 

Rubidium

You can offer a draw BEFORE making a move, but then your opponent can still accept or decline after you make your move.

happyfanatic
AdvLegitimate wrote:

If you offer a draw then decide you dont want it, just say 'actually ive decided to play on' when they put their hand out for the draw.

No as was already mentioned earlier, a draw offer cannot be rescinded and stands until your opponent agrees,refuses, or makes a move(which is a form of refusal).

shepi13
happyfanatic wrote:
AdvLegitimate wrote:

If you offer a draw then decide you dont want it, just say 'actually ive decided to play on' when they put their hand out for the draw.

No as was already mentioned earlier, a draw offer cannot be rescinded and stands until your opponent agrees,refuses, or makes a move(which is a form of refusal).

I know a funny story about this - a GM offered a draw from a position where he had a winning tactic. Then he saw the tactic and played it. His opponent immediately resigned, forgetting that he could accept the draw offer.

Another story - I told this to my coach, an FM. He said that he's done the same thing - he actually resigned from a stalemated position once.

One question- In one of my games I offered my opponent a draw and he touched a piece. Anywhere he moved it he lost, so he accepted the draw. Even though he never completed his move, can he accept the offer after touching a piece? I'm not sure.

NimzoRoy

If I were to offer a draw, I will just hit the draw button and the game draws.

WRONG the game doesn't draw here when you hit the draw button, your opponent has to accept the draw offer - unless there's been a triple repetition or insufficient mating material.

AnnaZC
paulgottlieb wrote:

That's correct. Or he can require you to make your move and then decide to accept or decline. Technically, you should make your move along with your offer. ANd do remember to hit your clock! Once you've made your move and your draw offer, he should be thinking it over on his time!

aaaahhh Paul, cant draw offers be made at any time, maybe for the sake of etiquette it is best to offer on your time

Though waiting for an opponent to move, might give you an idea if draw is still worth the offer, for all we know, the opponents last move could go from equal position to a better position for you, and therefore making the offer of draw now pointless

NimzoRoy

...maybe for the sake of etiquette it is best to offer on your time AnnaZafi

In OTB chess you MUST move prior to offering a draw - a handy requirement (for your opponent) since your move may be a blunder. And once you move you should hit your clock immediately, so therefore the opponent must mull the draw offer over on his/her time.

"For the sake of etiquette" applies to Dear Abby, Emily Post and Ann Landers, not to draw offers in chess!

AnnaZC

so wait, you cant offer draw at any time,

woton

Under USCF Rule 14B2, a draw can be offered when it is your opponents move.  However, you may be warned or penalized for disturbing your opponent.

mtbz

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I'm going to enter a tournament and it's my first time so I want to have the ethics/rules clear. So, were I to offer a draw, I will do it after making my move (by saying "i offer a draw" or simply "draw?") and only then hit the clock. One quick question; is it compulsory to write down your moves in tournaments?