Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Humans v Houdini chess engine (Elo 3300)

• 3 months ago · Quote · #601

bendzsa12

Can carlsen beat stockfish?

• 3 months ago · Quote · #602

EscherehcsE

NewArdweaden wrote:

Human with computer can beat a computer.

And an olympic sprinter with a Ferrari can beat a race horse. So what?

• 3 months ago · Quote · #603

bendzsa12

:D

• 3 months ago · Quote · #604

NewArdweaden

EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:

No, I'm saying that Schumacher with a Ferrari can beat you with a Ferrari.

• 3 months ago · Quote · #605

EscherehcsE

NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:

There are many true statements which are completely meaningless to the issue of human vs. computer games. The fact that a human plus a computer can beat a computer at chess is one of those statements.

• 3 months ago · Quote · #606

NewArdweaden

EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:

There are many true statements which are completely meaningless to the issue of human vs. computer games. The fact that a human plus a computer can beat a computer at chess is one of those statements.

I don't think it's entirely meaningless. It says that there still is something to people that machines lack (for now). 

• 3 months ago · Quote · #607

EscherehcsE

NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:

I don't think it's entirely meaningless. It says that there still is something to people that machines lack (for now). 

The only thing this tells us is that in a human + comp vs. comp game, the human doesn't have to worry about making tactical mistakes, and he can try to supply long-term strategy that's superior to the computer's ability. However, in a human vs. comp game, the human also has to supply 100% of his side's tactical talent. And that's the critical difference.

• 3 months ago · Quote · #608

NewArdweaden

EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:
    EscherehcsE wrote:
    NewArdweaden wrote:

The only thing this tells us is that in a human + comp vs. comp game, the human doesn't have to worry about making tactical mistakes, and he can try to supply long-term strategy that's superior to the computer's ability. However, in a human vs. comp game, the human also has to supply 100% of his side's tactical talent. And that's the critical difference.

And, of course, endgame play. I agree with you, though. In my opinion, that's just enough information for that comment to deserve its place here. 

• 3 months ago · Quote · #609

MuhammadAreez10

Vettel is in a Ferrari now.

• 2 months ago · Quote · #610

VuThuong

For anyone interessted, here the (probably) last human vs machine experiment:

On July 19, 2014, Stockfish 5 played a four game match versus Daniel Naroditsky plus Rybka 3 (2008), 45 minutes plus 30-second increment. Stockfish won 3½ - ½ [10][11]. A few weeks later the experiment continued with Hikaru Nakamura in Burlingame, California [12]. Supported two games by Rybka 3, Nakamura lost ½ - 1½, two games with pawn odds (Stockfish both Black without h- and b-pawn) ended ½ - 1½ in favour to Stockfish 5 as well. It played the latest development build compiled for OS X running on a 3 GHz 8-Core Mac Pro [13]

(Source: https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Stockfish)

So even with the help of a (slightly weaker) engine, the number 3 of the world still can not beat the world-best chess engine in a tournament condition!

Can he beat the machine in a correspondence chess without help of computer? That is the interessting question!

• 2 months ago · Quote · #611

NewArdweaden

VuThuong wrote:

For anyone interessted, here the (probably) last human vs machine experiment:

On July 19, 2014, Stockfish 5 played a four game match versus Daniel Naroditsky plus Rybka 3 (2008), 45 minutes plus 30-second increment. Stockfish won 3½ - ½ [10][11]. A few weeks later the experiment continued with Hikaru Nakamura in Burlingame, California [12]. Supported two games by Rybka 3, Nakamura lost ½ - 1½, two games with pawn odds (Stockfish both Black without h- and b-pawn) ended ½ - 1½ in favour to Stockfish 5 as well. It played the latest development build compiled for OS X running on a 3 GHz 8-Core Mac Pro [13]

(Source: https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Stockfish)

So even with the help of a (slightly weaker) engine, the number 3 of the world still can not beat the world-best chess engine in a tournament condition!

Can he beat the machine in a correspondence chess without help of computer? That is the interessting question!

The answer to the last question is yes. Wink If it wasn't true, there would no longer be any correspondence chess championships.

Post your reply: