Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #361

nameno1had

I hate it when cheaters expect you to resign so that it shortens the game and thus the evidence that can be used to find them out....

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #362

motherinlaw

Hey, I never thought of this before, but if somebody is cheating by playing computer-calculated moves that enable him to win, he's actually, in the process, teaching Me useful tactics and strategies!   So thanks, cheaters!  ;-D  

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #363

nameno1had

motherinlaw wrote:

Hey, I never thought of this before, but if somebody is cheating by playing computer-calculated moves that enable him to win, he's actually, in the process, teaching Me useful tactics and strategies!   So thanks, cheaters!  ;-D  

There are less painful ways to learn that take from you what you are entitled to though...

• 3 days ago · Quote · #364

Quickdraw45

Chess etiquette says you should resign when you know it's hopeless. This isn't something I made up. Pick up a book on the subject. Even the book "Chess For Dummies" tells you that! It doesn't matter what anyone else says or posts on this thread. This rule of etiquette has been around forever. I had a guy drag on a game forever that was hopeless. Not only that he took a total of 5 separate vacations for this one game. Obviously I won't play that person again.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #365

SkyMarshal

Everyone resigns when they want and thats it. There are people who resign when you take a pawn, and I feel like "came on, you can still beat me!" and there are people who never resign and wait for a miracleous stalemate or whatever. Learn to stand it, it is part of the game.

Peace

• 3 days ago · Quote · #366

justus_jep

Sometimes I am the worst chess player who ever lived. This game is proof that you should never ever resign. Play to the kings. Now please excuse me, I need to bang my head against the nearest wall. 

• 3 days ago · Quote · #367

bobbyDK

justus_jep skrev:

Sometimes I am the worst chess player who ever lived. This game is proof that you should never ever resign. Play to the kings. Now please excuse me, I need to bang my head against the nearest wall. 

below 1300 you should never resign, people should be forced to demonstrate their chess skill. that they can win an obvious won game.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #368

LesuhAn

OK, I know it was made 20 months ago but post #17 had me laughing so hard! :D :D

I resign only when I am clearly dead, no stalemate or possible opponent blunder in sight. If someone agrees to play a game with me, I expect them to play. And possibly, even thank me for letting them practice their endgame and giving them the satisfaction of checkmate.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #369

SkyMarshal

What differece does it make that it was 20 months ago? Is it like if they guy who posted it could already be dead? lol

• 3 days ago · Quote · #370

LesuhAn

Well, I guess that is possible, but I sure hope, not. :/ I was thinking that the guy wouldn't even remember what he said so long ago! :)

• 3 days ago · Quote · #371

Doggy_Style

You can stand it with Bandit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hcMOIjA6F4

This tune always sounds in my head, when people say "I can't stand it!"

• 3 days ago · Quote · #372

WildTigress

I think the worst is meeting these kind of players in online chess. Especially in 3 day tournaments. Say there is a four move forced checkmate.
    They get mad for losing (this is especially players +-100 my own rating.
    So they will make one move at the last day, and repeat. Instead of resigning. That's many days of waiting for the forced checkmate.

That is annoying. It is even worse if they had a winning/better position earlier and blunder. That's not my fault. But they get sooo mad and refuse to move or resign.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #373

TitanCG

You should sit down. It could take a while. Also I'm not sure why you guys don't use conditional moves when the opponent stalls.. In winning positions I'm sure there are plenty of safe king moves you can make. Cool

• 3 days ago · Quote · #374

WildTigress

TitanCG wrote:

You should sit down. It could take a while. Also I'm not sure why you guys don't use conditional moves when the opponent stalls.. In winning positions I'm sure there are plenty of safe king moves you can make. 

Who says we're not using conditional moves??

I always use conditional moves in forced chekmate patterns, or otherwise too. Doesn't make the problem any less as the opponent decides to move after 2 days 23 hours. It will STILL take 12 days to finish a game with forced chekmate in four.
    And just cause the guys is upset at losing, and was playing much faster, like 5-6 moves a day, earlier in the game.

It's petty. I have enough respect and decency for my opponent to resign when I see a forced checkmate. I am certainly not childish enough to play on the clock last minute making him wait for many, many days.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #375

TitanCG

WildTigress wrote:
    TitanCG wrote:

You should sit down. It could take a while. Also I'm not sure why you guys don't use conditional moves when the opponent stalls.. In winning positions I'm sure there are plenty of safe king moves you can make. 

Who says we're not using conditional moves??

I always use conditional moves in forced chekmate patterns, or otherwise too. Doesn't make the problem any less as the opponent decides to move after 2 days 23 hours. It will STILL take 12 days to finish a game with forced chekmate in four.
    And just cause the guys is upset at losing, and was playing much faster, like 5-6 moves a day, earlier in the game.

It's petty. I have enough respect and decency for my opponent to resign when I see a forced checkmate. I am certainly not childish enough to play on the clock last minute making him wait for many, many days.

Well hey you got a whole hour back! You could do all kinds of stuff in an hour.

Seriously though I'm not sure anything can be done about it. I usually take the entire three days to move even in winning positions so I don't notice it too much. If I have other games going the few stalled games just become an afterthought. 

The only thing I can think of is to just have a bunch of games going so that the won games lose significance. Use those conditional moves and speed things up when you can.

• 3 days ago · Quote · #376

bobbyDK

if someone doesn't give up in a lost position. just take your time with making conditional move for most possible moves. I think if your opponent regardless what move he makes is met by "your move has triggered a conditional move" he will soon resign.

• 2 days ago · Quote · #377

motherinlaw

Like I said before, when I'm clearly losing, I often ask, "Would you like to play out the endgame? Fine with me -- or I could just resign."

Since I tend to be disappaointed by a sudden, early resignation by my opponent, lately, when I'm clearly losing, I've been giving a warning --something like "Brace yourself -- somebody in this game will resign soon, and spoiler alert:  It won't be you.  ;-D"

• 27 hours ago · Quote · #378

AlCzervik

If I blunder in what was a pretty even game, I have written, "in my future I see...resignation!"

• 14 hours ago · Quote · #379

motherinlaw

AlCzervik wrote:

If I blunder in what was a pretty even game, I have written, "in my future I see...resignation!"

Nice. :-)

Post your reply: