Forums

I cant stand people who dont resign -.-

Sort:
ponz111

The subject of when to resign has a lot to do with the particulars-so hard to make a general rule.

The more chess knowledge you have the more likely you will resign at what some people think is "early"

I made a posting about how one can enjoy his time when his opponent will not resign in a clearly winning pawn endgame and people jumped all over me claiming I was telling someone they had to resign--when clearly I was not doing that. So, sometimes the "right not to resign" is like a religion to some.

royalbishop

Yeah we read the NRU- Non Resigners Union policy on winning. The section on how to secure a win by an opponent blunder or Time Out! Really interesting reading on getting that win. Loved the section where when doing these tactics shame should not enter the picture. And if your opponent does not like you when you win under these conditions they should just move on and get over it. The value of the win is way more important than meeting a new friend who may tell you the source of your error in the game.

royalbishop
ponz111 wrote:

The subject of when to resign has a lot to do with the particulars-so hard to make a general rule.

The more chess knowledge you have the more likely you will resign at what some people think is "early"

I made a posting about how one can enjoy his time when his opponent will not resign in a clearly winning pawn endgame and people jumped all over me claiming I was telling someone they had to resign--when clearly I was not doing that. So, sometimes the "right not to resign" is like a religion to some.

Oh i have several games i have seen from friends and associated where players do not resign. I go over them to see how they approached it. Or i go over mine waiting for my opponent to resign. Or just come here. An excellent way to past the time.

ponz111

I think that was sarcastic!

I can never understand how a player rated above 2200 here plays on to mate or almost mate?  What is he learning?   

I was wondering what were his motives and found that he was mainly hoping for some kind of fate to intervene,,,

AndyClifton

Just ask Elubas about it (he'll write you a novel). Smile

Elubas

He may not have learned anything, but it doesn't matter -- as long as it isn't making him dumber. The main consideration is time -- how much time is it worth spending on the position. If you are likely to lose the game, you may want to save your energy by quitting early. But if my opponent is not concerned about that, then I respect his decision to be as sure as he possibly can. I view finishing a game a queen up the same way as finishing an ending a pawn up -- I am not expecting my opponent to give me anything, as giving things to people, and being given things, is not what I compete for.

waffllemaster
AndyClifton wrote:

Just ask Elubas about it (he'll write you a novel). 

Sorry Elubas, but I lol at this comment Laughing

royalbishop

I got it.....

We take the entire NRU - Non Resigners  to ...... Mexico.

Get them some Tequila..... the cheap one naturally.

When it time to make that next move their head will hurt so bad the next day they will have to resign. Even games they are winning. lol

Elubas

Well, as long as you mean no disrespect, it's ok. Indeed I am often pretty willing to discuss this, and don't feel shame about it. It's pretty fun for me.

royalbishop

Like bug spray.

Say Tequila.....   they resign. T..e...q.... they resign.

ponz111

royalbishop

Hmmm maybe i am on to something. Tequila on unwanted bugs. They fly off running into walls. Then make a loud noise after they get some and .... lol.

AndyClifton

Would it be so bad if somebody meant "disrespect"?  Indeed, isn't teasing a form of disrespect?...if you choose to look at it in that rather drearily humorless way.  Too much "respect" leads to aloofness and stiffness and lack of real interaction, as the modern era has made all too painfully clear.

royalbishop

We chaos on our hands here. The NRU, the draw club, the Mutant Non Resigners and the people that can not stand resigners are thinking about taking up arms.

Elubas

I wouldn't appreciate it, no. I generally try to enjoy myself without having to put people in a bad light. Because I know people often don't like that.

AndyClifton

Sounds a little smug to me...but then, I guess we all have our shortcomings.

royalbishop

Look we have a case of

Resident Evil here.

Elubas

"if you choose to look at it in that rather drearily humorless way."

It is what it is -- it simply puts something in a bad light, and as idealistic as it sounds, I prefer when people take others and their opinions in a good light. I can find ways to have humor without doing so -- there aren't as many ways obviously, but they are still there.

Elubas
AndyClifton wrote:

Sounds a little smug to me...but then, I guess we all have our shortcomings.

Smug? I'll concede the statement is probably wimpy to most, but how is that smug? I really believe that.

AndyClifton

What makes you the authority on what humor is?  As I say, sounds all very smug and superior (under the guise of virtuous conduct)...an outlook all too characteristic of these times, I'm afraid.